Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Bumper Repair (Read 230 times) previous topic - next topic
Rear Bumper Repair
Hi Everyone -

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, we stopped at a McDonald's and a woman with no insurance backed into the rear of my Lazy Daze - I have attached a picture showing the damage on the lefthand side of the bumper. The horizontal metal plate is separated from the vertical portion of the bumper in the left-hand corner.

I am looking for suggestions on how to handle this. I do not know if this is fixable or if I need a new bumper.  I have never been involved in an accident before, so I don't know if I should call my insurance company. I got the basic info from the driver and California Highway Patrol did not seem very interested in trying to help me.

If I need a new bumper, how does one go about finding a bumper now that Lazy Daze has gone out of business?

Thanks

Re: Rear Bumper Repair
Reply #1
Hi Rob, We had a similar occurrence this summer, backing into a rock. Bent our bumper a little more and damaged the lower fender, which is fiberglass. I tried to bend the bumper back in place but was unable to with what tools I have.. I think replacing the bumper would be quite labor intensive because of the number of fasteners. RV shop labor rates in the Puget Sound area are $175/hr. so you can bet on at least a boat buck for repair.  I think on mine I will repair the fender and forget about the bumper. Good luck! Ian Walker, "Silver Fox", Seattle
2015 MB

Reply #2
Call your insurance company.  They will let you know which options you have, as determined by the coverage you purchased.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. 

In general, there are a lot of bent rear bumpers in the LD world.  From what I see in the picture, a body/metal shop should be able to make it look close to new without requiring parts.  Obviously there could be damage that you can't see from the picture.

Another option would be to take the insurance settlement and decline repairs (keep the $ and live with the damage). 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #3
I asked Todd a while ago about the rear bumper repair on our RB. The bumper was only slightly put into small misalignment without any real damage to it and none to the coach body. Actually looks very similar to Robs damage.

Just a little love tap when backing into a campsite. RonB suggested I seal the small gap or have him tweak the bumper back into shape. 🫣

Regardless of that I was quoted a $4,000 replace & repaint cost. Needless to say the rather unnoticeable damage will remain as it is.

Lesson learned.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Ours looks about like yours too. I think if you really needed to do something maybe drill the top and the bumper frame and pull it together with several carriage bolts you wouldn't be disturbing any paint. The first scratches are the worst.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #5
Your little love tap is familiar, almost all older LDs have some form of bumper damage. It can be straightened with minimal paint damage.

When pulling out bends on the side or back of the bumper, I have used our Jeep's winch or a come-along to pull bends out slowly.
The bent top can be forced down by placing a large hydraulic jack directly under the bent crease, to provide solid resistance, and then hammering down on the bent section using a soft-blow hammer. Placing a piece of heavy cloth or leather on the bumper before hammering will help reduce paint damage.

Use a body seam filler to seal where the top meets the vertical sides for a better appearance and water resistance.
If the paint is damaged, custom-mixed, two-part spray paint is available, color-matched from either a sample piece or using a known color code.
Some localities allow automotive paint shops to mix and load the spray cans. Properly color matched, this paint looks the same as the original Factory paint.
Spray Max 2K Single Stage Aerosol Auto Spray Paint, SPM2K-MixedPaint – 66...
There are serious health concerns using two-part paint, make sure you are well informed, outside, and using the proper air filter mask.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze