Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Cameras (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic
Dash Cameras
We'd sure like to know if anyone in the Neighborhood has a recommendation for a Dash Camera?  I've looked at several promising cameras on Amazon solely based on user reviews.  I'd rather use a solid recommendation from here.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Dash Cameras
Reply #1

Hi Ed and Margee;  Looks like not many people here have these.  I guess you are the 'test market'.  I have the LD supplied full size CB radio above my mirror, and I don't want to relocate that. It does supply power for a dash cam. I don't think the reverse assistance or into the motorhome camera is going to be of much use, and I already have a reverse camera.  4k resolution is good, WiFi  connectivity is good. Bigger memory and low light level along with good light and dark response too.  This one gets my attention for the 1.8 aperture and 512GB memory available.  Amazon.com: Rove R2- 4K Dash Cam Built in WiFi GPS Car Dashboard Camera...    The cost at $80 is the same as the extra memory. It stays on all the time, I wonder if the g-sensor goes off each time the coach door is closed?   I would want one that is relatively inconspicuous, and doesn't get in the way of my view out. This one is not the smallest but may hide well on the passenger side of the CB. I like the screen saver while driving mode with the red blinking LED that assures that it is recording.
  In my case I have a navigator with a good phone that can monitor the pictures during travel. Are you looking to record your travels, or issues with accidents..   RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
I went back and read the one star reviews of that Rove dash cam. I take back my mention of it.  The reviewers seemed to 'know their stuff' and there must be better dash cams out there. 
   For your usage I don't trust the suction cup mounts to not fall off the windshield at the most inopportune times.  I usually hard mount anything near the driver.  (I don't want to be distracted.)  At these price points it is just too much bother to swap back and forth between vehicles.  Easiest to just mount one in each vehicle. You could purchase one and try it out for a while in your passenger car to see if you like it enough to mount a duplicate in the LD. I'm still looking at the other possibilities.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
We been using a 522GW from Nextbase for two years and like it. The company makes several models ranging in price from $80 to $400. Like many electronic devices, it has more features than I have energy to learn about. I've come to think of it as insurance like carrying an umbrella to prevent it from raining. As long as the camera is on, nothing bad will happen.

There are YouTube reviews of several of their products.

Bill Moss
2019 MB and 2010 Honda Fit