Skip to main content
Topic: Shipping 22’ LD (Read 347 times) previous topic - next topic
Shipping 22’ LD
I just purchased a 85’ 22’ Rear Bath and I am looking to have it shipped.  Does anyone have a connection to make this faster and easier?  I would drive it but it’s in Reno,NV and I’m in Abita Springs, La.  Any help would be fantastic
thanks!!

Re: Shipping 22’ LD
Reply #1
Hi Carryon;  Welcome to the Forum!  I suspect it would be really expensive to transport it by truck.  Easier to have someone drive it there for you.  I wouldn't want to be driving someone else's new purchase of a 37 year old rig that far. If anything went wrong I'd get blamed for whatever happened.  Have you seen it in person?  I'd store it until I could fly out and drive it back myself. A great way to get used to a 'new to you rig".  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
My wife and I bought our 1997-8 mid-bath in 2012 from a couple in Scottsdale, AZ, and had it trucked across country, to New Hampshire. Through Internet searches and e-mail we found three companies that would broker the move (at the time, none of them would do the move themselves). The cost was $4,200, payable in cash at delivery. The truck driver ("Pavel") delivered the coach with no problems or damage, on a trailer with other vehicles. It was clear from pictures the sellers sent to us that the driver had moved the LD around on the trailer between AZ and NH.

At the time I had only 14 days to get the LD across the country, and exactly zero experience with RVing, so it seemed prudent to ship, rather than get the coach ourselves. Two years later we took a trip back to Arizona. I concluded that the fastest I could do the distance was 16 days, moving every day, or 21 days, allowing for a few non-moving days. This confirmed that 14 days would have been a bear.

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #3
I wouldn't want to be driving someone else's new purchase of a 37 year old rig that far. If anything went wrong I'd get blamed for whatever happened.  Have you seen it in person?  I'd store it until I could fly out and drive it back myself. A great way to get used to a 'new to you rig".
Drove mine back to California from purchasing it in Washington, good chance to get to know the rig and what I need to do

Was tempted to say I’d do it for expenses, cause I am alway up for a 2300 mile adventure, but given the age of the RV, I’m inclined to side with Ron, you’re the best person to do that drive.

I suspect, give current fuel prices, etc, having it shipped would approach $6000
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
I wouldn't want to be driving someone else's new purchase of a 37 year old rig that far. If anything went wrong I'd get blamed for whatever happened.  Have you seen it in person?  I'd store it until I could fly out and drive it back myself.

Unless a maintenance fanatic has owned this rig, any antique LD will need some (a lot?) work before it is ready for a cross-country drive.
I would find an auto transporter and have it shipped, it could be the cheapest way of getting it from Reno to Louisiana.
Repairing things on your drive home could take a lot of time, parts for older Chevy rigs are becoming harder to find.
Finding a mechanic who knows how to rebuild a carburetor, a commonly needed repair on these older rigs, is tough, most of us are either retired or dead. Most vehicles converted to fuel injection 30+ years ago.

Have you inspected or paid someone to inspect this rig?
Most older rigs will rot in one or more places and can be hard to spot for even the experts.
Repairing rot damage is expensive or time/money-consuming, if you are a DIY type. The chassis can be very expensive to repair or update, RV chassis parts are much more expensive than normal car parts and mechanics charge more to work on RVs, if they do, many do not.
I would hate to see you pay to ship a rig across the country to find it needs repairs costing more than what it is worth, this is, unfortunately, the case with many on this forum who have bought very old rigs, especially when sight-unseen.

Previously owned a 1977 Chevy G-20 van 10 years
1983 22' LD G-30 Front Lounge 8-years.
Well-acquainted with Chevy G-series and LD issues.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Welcome to the forum Carryon. Congrats, that's a nice looking rig. I bought my 22' 1989 and drove it 1500 miles two weeks later. We made the drive, but it was pretty stressful.

Since then I have done a bunch of work to make it easier to drive (complete new front suspension, all new shocks, and a new steering box). So, I suspect trailering it would be the best way to get it to you.

Harvey, the RV
1989 22' Front Lounge

Reply #6
Regarding the price of shipping, my daughter shipped her VW bus from Salem, Oregon to Phoenix for $1700. She got a number of quotes. Most were within a few hundred dollars of that. Showed up undamaged and on time. She paid upon delivery.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #7
I’ve shipped classic cars in the past so I’m familiar with the process. RV is a different animal. Do you remember the name of the company that shipped your daughters camper?

Reply #8
Was it stressful because you were worried about something breaking?

Welcome to the forum Carryon. Congrats, that's a nice looking rig. I bought my 22' 1989 and drove it 1500 miles two weeks later. We made the drive, but it was pretty stressful.

Since then I have done a bunch of work to make it easier to drive (complete new front suspension, all new shocks, and a new steering box). So, I suspect trailering it would be the best way to get it to you.

Reply #9
We have used U-Ship many times for many different items including moving our 1965 Chrysler from Vermont to the PNW. 

The Online Shipping Marketplace

Karen~Liam
  98 ~ MB
    NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #10
I just purchased a 85’ 22’ Rear Bath and I am looking to have it shipped.  Does anyone have a connection to make this faster and easier?  I would drive it but it’s in Reno,NV and I’m in Abita Springs, La.  Any help would be fantastic
thanks!!
Congratulations! Good luck with everything. You chose the best model, in my humble opinion.
Sam

Reply #11
Do you remember the name of the company that shipped your daughters camper?

I'll ask her and get back.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #12
    Do you remember the name of the company that shipped your daughters camper?

New World Auto Transport
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #13
Was it stressful because you were worried about something breaking?

Yes, some. I was not too worried about that (I was a mechanic). It was mostly because the steering was loose and it took a lot of concentration to keep it on the road. The other issue was that it didn’t have a TPS (tire pressure system) and I know how devastating a rear flat can be. (I have a TPS now).

Harvey, the RV
1989 22' Front Lounge