Skip to main content
Topic: Changing Wheel Well Access Covers and Spare Key Location... (Read 308 times) previous topic - next topic
Changing Wheel Well Access Covers and Spare Key Location...
Please forgive if I "rant," but I'll try to ask information in a concise manner.

I returned Monday after volunteering at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  I upped my volunteer hours in order to get a free spot, but if anyone here attended the weather was dismally rainy and wet for much of the Fiesta.  My Honda CR-V tow car was rear ended on May 19th, and due to the "not so nice" people at Geico my car is STILL in the shop because of the hoops I had to jump through.  I had to turn in my rental car in Las Cruces, get another in Albuquerque, and yet another home again in Las Cruces.

When I thought my trip couldn't be any worse, I pulled off I-25 South to "adjust" one side of the passenger side wheel flap.  The door didn't close completely, but "locked" with my dog inside along with my cell phone and the engine running.  Two kind souls stopped and called the police who managed after I waited a total of 45 minutes to "pop" the lock so I could re-enter my RV. 

#1 - I "did" learn a lesson from the gentlemen that stopped on "how and where" to put a spare key in the event this ever happens again.  It's rather "ingenious," and if you PM me I'll tell you what they suggested.

#2 - I have a really good RV mechanic here in Las Cruces and he recently "did" a fix on my side mirror that had the clip fall out.  He drilled a hole and put a screw to anchor the mirror arm.  I can still "adjust the mirror itself," but not the arm.   I'm tire of "fumbling underneath" for the wheel flaps and would rather have the drilled control knob that many have done.  If someone has the instructions and a link for parts I would appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Changing Wheel Well Access Covers and Spare Key Location...
Reply #1
H Cheryl.  I bought a used 2001 MB for friends (their money!) who lived on a boat, had moved to the great Lakes region and needed somewhere to live while the Lakes were frozen. (About 7 months a year)  I did find a spare key that some previous owner had provided. I bet it had been in that location a long time. The owner before my friends,  had the LD for 8 years and never knew it was there.  The door to access the refrigerator on the driverside (MB) had a cuphook with a key off to the side (aft direction) that was nearly impossible to see. Found by feel, it was just an ignition key, but enough to get in the front doors and start the engine, or retrieve a second set inside. Lots of places inside, and I have two complete sets hidden inside.
    I hide a spare (just the) ignition key inside a pushbutton combination safe hidden outside with a combination I can remember.  Sadly I have needed to use it once when I was getting propane. The door shut accidentally, with lock button pushed down, oops! and engine running, full tank! At least no pets inside, and they do lock/unlock the doors when we are parked, so it could happen that way too.
    I carry a full set with gas cap key almost always and a small keyring to run the engine, lock the coach door and compartment key (not CH751).   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2

I hide a spare (just the) ignition key inside a pushbutton combination safe hidden outside with a combination I can remember.  Sadly I have needed to use it once when I was getting propane. The door shut accidentally, with lock button pushed down, oops! and engine running, full tank! At least no pets inside, and they do lock/unlock the doors when we are parked, so it could happen that way too.
    I carry a full set with gas cap key almost always and a small keyring to run the engine, lock the coach door and compartment key (not CH751).   RonB

Hi Ron,

Wow, your idea is a good one.  Thanks for sharing.
I suppose it's OK to "reveal" the idea the two men who stopped for me shared as a outside spare key storage spot.  They said thieves often look for the little magnetic key box.

They suggested putting a spare key behind the rear license plate (making sure the top hole fits the bolt/screw.  You can then keep a screwdriver in the battery compartment (mine doesn't lock).  The said they heard about this from someone in law enforcement. 

Thanks again...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #3
They said thieves often look for the little magnetic key box.
They suggested putting a spare key behind the rear license plate (making sure the top hole fits the bolt/screw.  You can then keep a screwdriver in the battery compartment (mine doesn't lock).  They said they heard about this from someone in law enforcement. 

Working on LDs for years, I have found hidden keys several times, stored in magnetic boxes, most often 'hidden' under the rear bumper or on the propane tank.
I like finding an obscure spot where the key can be wired to something solid to prevent losing it and also duct taped to the sidewall or the bottom of the floor. If at all visible, spray paint the area with flat black paint. To go all the way, splash the taped key with muddy water to make it 'invisible'.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Hi Cheryl;  To prevent theft of my license plate I have stainless button head hex screws holding my plate into the molded recess in the fiberglass end cap.  The screws go all the way through into the side storage compartment. Standard on the 'TK and MidBath, there is an access panel to get to the trailer socket wiring and tail lights (reverse light also).  So that hiding place is off limits.  A magnetic key box could be stuck up inside the rear bumper. A good bounce could dislodge it, and an industrious thief might find it easily.  There are a lot of options in and around motorhomes.  The door covering the generator locks, but is open to the ground, so something there might work.
        a story:  Got a parking ticket in the mail for the motorhome from Morena Valley. Had to look it up on the map, no, the LD had never been there. (possibly at speed on a freeway passing through). Description on the citation described the vehicle as a 'green Honda'  Called and the number listed for info and the person asked if I still had both of my license plates. I actually checked that first before I called.  They sent me a letter (I keep in the LD just in case) saying to disregard that citation. They actually keep digital photos of the car and license plate, and it was close to my number, but not.   Decided to up the security of my front plate. No paid sticker on it, but still...
        So I used a better screw system to hold the plastic frame fixture in place. It can't be unscrewed from inside the bumper. Added an aluminum backing plate behind the flimsy license plate and assembled with double stick 3M VHB strips of tape. SS button head screws and Locktite on the nuts. I fill the hex head holes with clear silicone. (yes in my younger navy days I lived in less secure areas where I learned ways to protect my rolling stock in little 'nuisance' ways)  RonB

Reply #5
Since Cheryl brought up the topic Changing Wheel Well Access Covers, the hinged covers that lift up for rear wheel access that occasionally take flight when traveling down the highway at 60+ miles an hour when they get loose?  On our 98~MB the hardware for securing the flaps is mounted on the bottom of them and will come loose from time to time.  The newer LD use two round plastic threaded knobs on the front of the covers.  I have bought what I think will work to make mine the same from a hardware store but the knobs are black.  Does anyone know if it is possible to get colored knobs, like Blue to match the paint like used on the newer ones? 

Karen~Liam
      98 ~ MB
        NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #6
Lazy Daze used to carry them. Ask Todd Miller, the current source of spare LD parts:‭ 909-627-0941‬
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Hi Liam;  I referred to the picture of what I did here: Wheel Cover "Flap" and Wing Nuts?  . Jon said that he had rubber washers on his. A rubber washer would be captive and work with my system also.
            As far as I know Lazy Daze painted the knobs, and had replacement knobs on hand.    RonB

Reply #8
Does anyone know if it is possible to get colored knobs, like Blue to match the paint like used on the newer ones? 

The knobs come are black plastic, they need to be painted if a color match is wanted.
I have found similar knobs in better hardware stores or online.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Ok Thanks for the information, Andy, RonB and Larry.  I have not been able to reach Todd Miller nor do I get get a call back from him.   I guess I will have to paint the knobs i have.  I have not installed them yet.  I might not paint then when we see what looks like installed.  I think Cheryl bought the setup from the Mothership last fall.  I was going to look at her setup when we were in NM but we did not connect after ABF.

Karen~Liam
       98 ~ MB
          NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #10
Todd is on vacation in the east for a while.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #11
Try email - ldrvtodd@yahoo.com

I emailed Todd today and he responded quickly.  I bought some of the sliders that hold the privacy  curtains for the top bunk and front windshield. 

Rich
2003 MB