Skip to main content
Topic: Dead Short (Read 434 times) previous topic - next topic
Dead Short
A question for you electrical gurus:   Tried to plug in the LD into a house circuit and it trips the circuit. Tried two different circuits with the same result (trips immediately upon plugging in). I believe this indicates a dead short. How would I test the cords for a short using a multimeter?  It’s either in the 15-30 amp adapter, or the 30 amp Smart Plug cord.

Please walk me through on how to set up the multimeter and how to check as my electrical skills are, uh, lacking.     :-[
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Dead Short
Reply #1
First thing I would do is plug in the cord without the LD end plugged in. If that is ok, then check the LD end of the cord for correct polarity. If still ok, then the problem is likely with the rig.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
So I plugged in the portable EMS. (Progressive industries PT30X) into my garage circuit using the 30 to 15 amp adapter. The surge protector is not showing any error codes and powers up fine so that would indicate that the 15 to 30 amp adapter is good, right?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
It appears that the cord and adapter has continuity (assuming I’m checking correctly).  When I plugged in the 30 amp SmartPlug cord to the EMS, I read 120v at the end that plugs into the RV. As soon as I plugged in the cord to the RV, the circuit tripped.  I believe that Steve is correct that something is going on inside the RV.  If that’s the case, where do I go from here?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
First thing I would do is plug in the cord without the LD end plugged in. If that is ok, then check the LD end of the cord for correct polarity. If still ok, then the problem is likely with the rig.

How do I check for polarity, Steve?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Do you have an inverter/charger? It appears you have a neutral-ground problem, not a current problem.

I’m not knowledgable enough to help you solve it but some here are. Put an ohmmeter between neutral and ground and see what you get. It could be a problem within the transfer switch.

It sounds as if the circuit you are plugging into is a GFI circuit.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #6
Hi Harry.  Yes, I plugged into a GFCI circuit in the garage but earlier tried plugging into a standard circuit.  It tripped at both locations.  Further info, I did start up the generator and got 110 power in the coach if that means anything.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
Are your house circuits on 20 or 15 amp breakers. Is the A/C accidently calling for cooling when you plug in.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #8
Are your house circuits on 20 or 15 amp breakers. Is the A/C accidently calling for cooling when you plug in.

Hi Jon.  No the AC controller is turned off.  Garage circuit is a 20 amp (#13).
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
On mine the resistance between the two prongs without the lip on the side of the coach is 2.39 ohms. The resistance between any other two is infinite or open circuit. I can plug into a GFi circuit with no issue.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #10
Harry, I’m not sure what you mean about the two prongs without the lip. This is how mine looks. Is yours different?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Yes, you have a Smart Plug.

Can you check the resistance between the two vertical prongs, generator off? Then the resistance between the horizontal one and each vertical one individually. I will look up Smart plug polarity. Just assuming the horizontal one is ground for now.

Horizontal pin is ground.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #12
I tested between the different prongs as instructed and there is no change when I move the probes around on the prongs.  The multimeter is stuck at 1.  Am I doing this correctly?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
Turn the switch to 200.

Short the two probes together and see if you get near zero.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #14
 Whoops, sorry about that! OK when I short the probes this is what I get (see photo). When I touch the prongs, no matter which way, the meter stays at 1,  per my previous photo.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
I don’t understand the measurements. Shorting the probes together should get zero.

Holding them apart, touching nothing, should get open circuit. Maybe 1 is it’s way of indicating open circuit.

Touching the two vertical pins with the probes should get a small number with a decimal. Mine was 2.39 ohms.

Turn the dial one more position over to the diode symbol. Does it beep when you touch the probes together?
Harry 2006RB

Reply #16
The picture reads 1.6 ohms.  That is the measured value of the resistance of the leads. The value will drift a bit as the bare metal of the leads are pressed together tighter. Releasing the leads will give you a "1"  I don't remember exactly, I never look at it. Some meters will read "OL", I think "over limit", but just open.  RonB 
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #17
Greg, if you are tripping breaker 13, you are tripping a 220v breaker. Does your outlet have 220V on it?

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #18
Jon, it’s tripping the GFCI, not breaker 13.  It did also trip a different 15 amp breaker previously.  The circuit trips immediately when the coach is plugged in, no delay.

Harry, Ron, I’ll try a different meter later this morning.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Hopefully will get this figured out today!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #19
Greg, looking back at your issue, you say that you get a '1' no matter which prongs you touch - do you still get a 1 when you touch nothing? If so, that is the meter's way of indicating 'open circuit', i.e. no connection. Just for giggles, measure between prongs on both AC and DC voltage ranges to see if there is any reading. Finally, try plugging in without the surge protector. Something may have failed internally that causes the breaker to pop when it is in the loop.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
I don’t understand the measurements. Shorting the probes together should get zero.

Holding them apart, touching nothing, should get open circuit. Maybe 1 is it’s way of indicating open circuit.

Touching the two vertical pins with the probes should get a small number with a decimal. Mine was 2.39 ohms.

Turn the dial one more position over to the diode symbol. Does it beep when you touch the probes together?

Maybe this meter is bad? When I short the probes I get 1.5.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
Greg, looking back at your issue, you say that you get a '1' no matter which prongs you touch - do you still get a 1 when you touch nothing? If so, that is the meter's way of indicating 'open circuit', i.e. no connection. Just for giggles, measure between prongs on both AC and DC voltage ranges to see if there is any reading. Finally, try plugging in without the surge protector. Something may have failed internally that causes the breaker to pop when it is in the loop.

Steve, yes it reads 1 when you turn the meter on with the 200 scale selected. I’m not sure what you mean by measuring the prongs on the AC and DC voltage ranges.

The circuit is tripped even when you bypass the surge protector and plug directly into the outlet.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #22
I’m not sure what you mean by measuring the prongs on the AC and DC voltage ranges.

The circuit is tripped even when you bypass the surge protector and plug directly into the outlet.

I want you to see if there is AC or DC voltage present on the shorepower connector on the side of the rig before connecting.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #23
I want you to see if there is AC or DC voltage present on the shorepower connector on the side of the rig before connecting.g

OK, I switched to a Klein Tools auto-ranging meter. I tested with one probe on one of the vertical prongs, and the other on the horizontal prong on the side of the coach. No reading when I tested for AC voltage. On DC voltage, I got an initial reading but after several minutes it slowly drifted down to zero.

Also, confirmed AC voltage through the 15-30 amp adapter and the 30 amp LD power cord to the female end that plugs into the coach.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24
Greg,

I am not an electrical expert at all. And I have no idea where your new problem is originating. But from rereading your posts about your starting battery and then later in that thread you indicated your house batteries were reading 12.2 volts, the concern I have is that there is something going on in your converter/charging center. Even with deteriorating house batteries, I would think your solar system would keep them reading in the 12.6 - 14.2 volt range; they may not hold that charge for long if you put a load on them but I don't understand how the solar display would be reading 12.2 unless you have the solar fuse pulled. Now your latest issue seems to be you can't plug your Lazy Daze to shore power.

If it were me, I would begin by turning off every circuit breaker in the Lazy Daze and then try plugging in to shore power. If your shore power circuit breaker does not trip, then start turning the circuit breaker back on one by one to find out which circuit may have a problem.

Also, have you checked the fuses that route power to the electrical center (the charger/converter) to see if they are blown?

If I am not mistaken, you replaced the charging unit with one you bought from Mike Coachman, is that correct? If so, is there a possibility that you made an error during installation?

In my opinion, I get the feeling you are hoping the meter you are trying to use will reveal a problem. But that would be dependent on knowing how to use that meter properly.... I know I can barely read voltage with mine and proper use of one is way above my pay grade. I am just saying that I would try a methodical system of finding the problem without hurting myself.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath