Skip to main content
Topic: House batteries (Read 295 times) previous topic - next topic
House batteries
Want to replace the two 6-volt house batteries in a 2003 LD.  They are not maintenance free.  Can I replace them with maintenance free models.  Do I need to go with 6 volt batteries again or can I go to one or two 12 volt models?
2003 26.5'

Re: House batteries
Reply #1
"Want to replace the two 6-volt house batteries in a 2003 LD."

FWIW ! I replaced my wet cell Trojans with two 6v GPL 4CT Lifeline AGMs. Perfect physical fit, no more maintenance!  ::)
It's been years, think I'm on the 2nd set now.  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Hi Lazy Bones

Our house batteries seem to be dead.  They are the Lifeline AGM originals to the unit (2014)    They have not been functioning very well for quite some time, and now seem to have given up the ghost. DH is trying to resuscitate them.  :-\

We are trying to decide if we should be another set of Lifeline or try another brand.  One big problem is finding them.

We did locate one source online and will ship     www.wholesalebatteriesdirect.com     which is also considerably cheaper than other sources.  Does anyone have any experience with this website?  Or know another source for Lifeline?  Or can recommend another brand?

Thanks!
2013 TK

Reply #3
Hi CorkyDeltaDog and Kenney;  Two 6 volt batteries in series is superior to two 12 batteries in parallel. Simplicity and better  reliability result from 6 cells instead of 12.  Two 12 volters, one will always have a higher voltage and the highest one will try to charge the other, wasting power. With a series circuit the current is the same in each cell whether charging or discharging. so it more efficient. The volume occupied is about the same in both cases.
    If you want less maintenance, go for the AGM batteries.  They are about double the price, but you don't have to equalize them, and you won't need to add water either.   AGM GPL-4CT at $400 x2 + $800  (usually ship free + tax)
Lifeline GPL-4CT - 6v - 220AH Deep Cycle Battery (FREE SHIPPING) | Battery Guys  or   Similar to Costco GC2 (add water once in a while)  Affordable Costco 6 Volt Batteries Deep Cycle Replacement.  ea   two for about $250.   These are made in the U.S.A and by Trojan, a good manufacturer.    (they aren't Costco Interstate batteries).
     Original batteries from a 2014 are long overdue for exchange.  I've seen nine year old batteries that had maybe 50 AmpHours capability left. A poor substitute for the 220 AmpHours they should have been able to provide. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Want to replace the two 6-volt house batteries in a 2003 LD.  They are not maintenance free.  Can I replace them with maintenance free models.  Do I need to go with 6 volt batteries again or can I go to one or two 12 volt models?

I would recommend you go with 6V golf GC2 format, as you have now, and install a Pro Fill system for topping off the electrolyte. This system makes the job a cinch. If you switch to AGMs, we will need to know more about your rig - you may need to upgrade the converter and solar charge controller, if you have one. The latter in that vintage was the Heliotrope, which is not kind to sealed batteries, and neither is the stock converter.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Thanks for starting this thread. Bookmarked since I’m sure my house batteries are nearing end of life.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Thanks so much for the info! 

Will check into the source you recommended-good to have choices!  :)
2013 TK

Reply #7
Hi everyone

thanks so much for your help!

I researched online and made calls to Lifeline.com.  Here is what I found out.

batteryguys.com  did have the battery in stock   model number GPL-4CT  but I did not like their platform which is Shopify.com

Called back to Lifeline,com and got referred to Centex Batteries and spoke with Marc who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about this battery.  He is working with me to get the batteries ordered and is very helpful on how to maintain the batteries.  FYI Lifeline is made in the USA and are considered the cream of the crop. There is a wait time as demand is high, but he will try to get them for me in a week or two.  He also said they can usually beat anyone's price on Lifeline.

Lifeline is working like dogs to produce the batteries but there is a HUGE demand for batteries right now.  The other online folks wholesalebatterydirect.com told me they have been waiting for 3 months for a shipment- which confirms this shortage.

SO, word to the wise---plan accordingly  :)

Here is the link to Marc's company  

Authorized Dealer Lifeline GPL-4CT Battery $ 332.00
2013 TK

Reply #8
I ordered two additional batteries before picking up motorhome last year from BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics and they sent batteries at following address which happen to be only couple of miles from factory.
Lifeline Batteries Inc.
292 E Arrow Highway
San Dimas, CA 91773

As for battereis, they were brand new and after two years of use I do not feel any issue. Price, I do not remember what I paid but I do remember checking prices at few places before ordering here .... With google shopping tool it is pretty convinent to double check if we are getting good enough price.

Good luck.

....  Or know another source for Lifeline?  Or can recommend another brand?