Skip to main content
Topic: Solar and battery maintenance questions (Read 135 times) previous topic - next topic
Solar and battery maintenance questions
We bought our LD new.  We have made no modifications from the factory setup.  We full time.  We have 2 solar panels.  We got the battery disconnect switch.  The only maintenance we have done is to clean the solar panels when we wash the RV. 

When we are boondocking we always turn on the solar readouts so we see our “volts/amp in” reading. 

Does anyone do any other maintenance?  The solar manual talks about equalizing the batteries, does anyone do that?  Should we? When should we?  Tips and tricks about the solar?  Tips and tricks about the fuse, battery disconnect switch?  Words of wisdom about the solar or batteries? 

I have not reset the solar charge amp hours because I don’t want to do something wrong and equalize when I shouldn’t or do something to break anything.  So it is always on 999. 

Any thoughts and words of wisdom would be appreciated.

2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty
Full timing since August 2019 when we picked up the LD.

Re: Solar and battery maintenance questions
Reply #1
Your LD's Blue Sky 3000i solar controller can be set to manually or automatically equalize your AGM batteries.
Can I Equalize AGM Batteries? - Lifeline Batteries
Reading the Blue Sky 3000i's owner's manual will provide a wealth of information on how to program it.

Every year or two, depending on how much the rig is used, it's a good idea to have a qualified tech tighten all the electrical connections inside the 120-volt section of the power center. Ensure the shore power is disconnected, the generator is off, and any inverters shut down before commencing work.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Solar and battery maintenance questions
Reply #2
<snap ........>

I have not reset the solar charge amp hours because I don’t want to do something wrong and equalize when I shouldn’t or do something to break anything.  So it is always on 999. 

Any thoughts and words of wisdom would be appreciated.

The Blue Sky 3000i  controller is a very good controller.   The Blue Sky 3000i covers just about any questions you may have.

Enclosed are two screen grabs that I think can answer your questions directly.    The factory default setting can only be changed by going directly into the controller.   You can't 'hurt' anything by pushing buttons on the 'outside'.

By default, Blue Sky doesn't equalize AGM's.  You would have to re-program the controller to do that. 

The only 'problem' you'd be facing in the future is when added more solar panels.   At that point, you'd have to 'learn' more about the voltage and amp setting internally.   Till then just enjoy what ya got.  

The only thing not documented in the LD owner's manual is the temperature compensator which is also included by the factory.  They, the  LD factory set is a tad low but that is not a big deal. 

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King