Skip to main content
Topic: Wago Connector Question (Read 135 times) previous topic - next topic
Wago Connector Question
When I replaced my propane detector earlier this year, I did not have good connectors so I just used standard crimp connectors.  I’m in the process of re-doing them with Wago connectors.  My question is, should the Wago connectors be taped to the wires upon completion like you would do with crimp connectors?

By the way, I discovered that if I thread the propane wires out of the factory zip ties, it gives you a lot more slack to work with.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Wago Connector Question
Reply #1
Ordinarily I'd say that a good heat-shrunk crimped-on butt splice beats a Wago connector, since unlike the Wago, it's watertight. But I can think of one reason to use Wagos in this case, and probably that's why you're doing it: in five years or so, when it comes time to replace this propane detector with a new one, they'll make it easy.

"should the Wago connectors be taped to the wires upon completion like you would do with crimp connectors?"

If you use FTZ Crimp N Seal butt splices, or even ordinary butt splices with dual-wall ("shrink-melt") tubing over them, as you appear to have done here, I don't see any reason to tape over a crimped connection. The heat-shrink tubing's meltable lining will give you a watertight seal and good strain relief.

As for Wago connectors, taping could help to make those connections waterproof, but from what I've read, it isn't necessary and isn't normally done.

Wire nuts are a different story. With vibration, they can unwind and loosen, so tape is a must.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"