Skip to main content
Topic: Triple towing in CA (Read 181 times) previous topic - next topic
Triple towing in CA
Although I have never seen triple towing in CA it is legal. The length cannot exceed 65 feet bumper to bumper and there are other requirements as well including:
“In California drivers need a special endorsement on their driver's license to pull two trailers behind a car, SUV, truck or RV, any trailer weighing more than 10,000 lbs. or a single motorhome over 40 feet in length.”
Per Caltrans:
“California Legal: The California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 35401(a)states that no combination of vehicles may exceed a length of 65 feet. This section does not mention the maximum number of vehicles allowed. (However, Section 21715 limits the number of trailers to one if the towing vehicle is a passenger vehicle, or if the towing vehicle is under 4,000 pounds unladen.)”
Meaning towing is limited to one trailer, but that does not include another vehicle or boat.
Towing laws for commercial trucks vs RVs differ.
I’ve seen triple towing in other states. I can’t imagine anyone trying to triple tow in Southern Cal traffic and freeways. Scary.

California RV Regulations for Towing Two Trailers | Gone Outdoors | Your...

Have you ever triple towed?

SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Triple towing in CA
Reply #1
It is illegal in California.
A 2005 MidBath

Reply #2
They do it up here in Montana, it's legal if they are towing behind a 5th wheel trailer or a goose neck trailer. There may be a length restriction I'm not sure.  Some tow behind a bumper pull trailer which is illegal and those who still do it have a death wish. Very dangerous especially in our high wind areas.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #3
From the CA DMV Handbook for Commercial Drivers:
Doubles and Triples

The only ones I've seen are along the side of the road with a CHP vehicle behind them, certifying they are doing something wrong.

Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
 The CA Vehicle Code, all 1000 pages of it, is available for download online.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
I have seen several trucks pulling two trailers, usually from out of state.
Years ago, one of my employees, a Class1, HD truck driver, pulled a TT behind his pickup with a third trailer containing his ATV...once.
It scared him so badly that he never did it again, instead, he built a rack in the back of his truck to carry his toys.
Eventually, he switch to a large toy box trailer.

Setting up the brakes to work in a coordinated manner must be difficult and heaven help you if you turn down a dead-end street with no room to turn around. I can imagine the foul language.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
"...heaven help you if you turn down a dead-end street with no room to turn around."

:D  :D  :D  He,he,he! I've done that with an International Scout pulling a tent trailer. Sticky wicket!   >:(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
They do it up here in Montana, it's legal if they are towing behind a 5th wheel trailer or a goose neck trailer. There may be a length restriction I'm not sure.

Jon
I have a family member in Montana who triple tows his 5th wheel trailer and his boat. He's at 70’ long between the truck, 5th wheel and boat. It's quite the sight to see his setup going down the road.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo