Skip to main content
Topic: Cool days, some cold nights (Read 155 times) previous topic - next topic
Cool days, some cold nights
We are planning a trip through Colorado, Arizona, NM and southern Utah thru the first three weeks in October.  The average lows where we'll be staying range from high 30's to the 50's with highs in the upper 50's thru the upper 70's.  Weather is weather, so there's certainly the possibility that we could encounter a brief period of freezing (i.e. an overnight stop in Cortez, CO).  In reading the LD manual, it doesn't look like we need to take any precautions with regards to the plumbing. 

We are doing a lot of driving on the trip, staying in parks with full hook ups, and keeping the interior warm the whole time. 

Anything special I need to do?

Thanks!

Still pretty new to RV lifestyle & Lazy Daze
2014 27’ MB
Two beautiful Weimaraners, Junie & Pearl (now our angel dogs)

Re: Cool days, some cold nights
Reply #1
As long as the temps stay above freezing during the day, you should be fine. An extra cold night may freeze the dump valves and their plumbing but they usually thaw during the daytime.  Driving seems to help thaw the valves if the temps are above freezing.

I have never had a tank totally freeze, the dump valves have frozen a few times so I added electric pipe heating tape to the dump valves and pipes, covered with a close-cell, insulated foam tape.
It does require 120-VAC power from either hookups or the generator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-9-ft-Automatic-Electric-Heat-Cable-Kit-HC9A/205933690
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1-Foam-Insulation-Tape-TAP18230/100539553

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2

There are more heaters available that are 12V DC.  Now that Larry has LiF batteries and a fairly large solar array like I do, These Facon heaters for fresh and not so fresh water tanks can keep the dump valves from freezing up.  Amazon.com: Facon 1-1/2’’ x 16’’ RV Gate Valve Heater Pad, Work for 3 Inch...   RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
"dump valves have frozen a few times..."

That happened to me a couple of times (in fifteen years) when winter camping in New Mexico. One piece of advice: don't let your tanks get full. If they're full and your dump valves freeze, you're in an awkward situation. If possible, don't let them get more than about 2/3 full, so that even if you can't dump for a day or two due to frozen valves, you won't have a full toilet or overflowing shower. (The latter can smell particularly nasty.)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
We camp in our 98~MB for skiing so we are in temperatures sometimes as low as 0 degrees F at night, in those situations we are plugged into 30amps.  Normally its low 20 to 30s that we prefer.  We keep it heated day and night, open the cabinets to allow air flow into the plumbing areas.  We have the Camco hot water 120v insert and keep it on otherwise we keep the hot water on with propane.  If it is really cold we add a 200W heater in the refrigerator compartment to keep the refrigerator running.  If there will be snow we crack the roof vents slightly which vents our Cat Wave 8 and keeps the vents clear of snow.  Anytime we go where it will be freezing I buy windshield washer fluid rated not to freeze and after our last septic dump before the cold weather we put 1/2 gallon in the Black and Gray tanks, thus the fluid that is next to the valves is freeze resistant and washer fluid is usually cheap  $1 to $2.
Hope this helps.

Karen~Liam
     98 ~ MB
       NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags