Skip to main content
Topic: Increase in emission testing for California coming in 2023 (Read 507 times) previous topic - next topic
Increase in emission testing for California coming in 2023
Maybe this has been addressed in earlier threads but I just found where California will be increasing our LDs emission testing as well
as other heavy duty vehicles starting in 2023.  Looking at our stats of GVWR which is 14,050 #, CA is tagging those who have above 14,000#s.  By 2027, testing four times a year will be in play.  Hopefully the link will paste to this below.   :-X

CARB unveils ‘Smog Check’ for trucks at enforcement event at Port of Los...
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Re: Increase in emission testing for California coming in 2023
Reply #1
Yikes, I changed my registration this summer to Wyoming, since that’s where it will live starting next fall, to avoid driving back every two years for a smog check.

In 2024, in the last phase of the program, heavy-duty truck registration in California will require proof of emissions compliance with the HD I/M Program. Emissions inspections will need to be performed twice a year for vehicles with onboard diagnostic (OBD) systems, increasing to four times per year testing in 2027.

If I follow this article, I’ll still have to smog when I visit California.   That’s going to be fun enforcing.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
Jeesh, another reason to leave California.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Think about all the semis that deliver here to  California.  They have to comply besides their fuel costs.  They already hate coming to
California for that reason alone.  I would like to know how did this become law, (not voted on), regulation?
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Reply #5
According to CARB’s website, remote monitoring will reduce the inconvenience of this regulation for many. It is not clear, however, whether a device such as Scan Gauge will be sufficient versus a telemetry based device, which would necessitate purchasing a specialized piece of equipment or visiting a testing site.

“Emissions inspections are designed to minimize downtime and the inconvenience to owners/ operators. Unlike passenger car smog checks, heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations. The test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device. It is projected that 75 to 80% of all heavy-duty trucks will have OBD equipment that can utilize telematics technology – that is, sending the data automatically – when the program begins.

Older heavy-duty vehicles without an OBD system will continue the current opacity testing requirements with an added visual testing component, twice each year. ”
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #6
Jeesh, another reason to leave California.

<soap box mode on>
Really ....  one word "clean air'.  OK its two words.  

If there is an invention or process that helps humans live a better and healthier life why not do it?   After all, we owe it to ourselves and our children.   Isn't it time we pay for our lifestyle rather than forcing our children to clean up our mess? 
<soap box mode off>

If I may quote from article

"The program is the first in the nation of its kind and will ensure that emissions control systems on heavy-duty vehicles operate effectively for the life of the vehicle, improving air quality and protecting public health."

and

" a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions – will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads."

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #7
Arizona is at capacity, “campground “ is FULL. don’t come here. thanks! 🙂

Reply #8
I’m with you, Glen. Applying computers and telemetry, etc… makes good sense. I was trying (and didn’t do a good job), to say that the specifics of the program aren’t entirely clear on the CARB website. I’ll be interested to see how this program will work generally and I particular as it applies to motorhomes.

W
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #10
I've lived my entire life in California prior to going full-time one year ago.  Every car, truck and motorhome I've ever owned has passed CA smog test... every time, no exceptions.  CARB implies that heavy-duty vehicle owners will be able to complete the required test and deliver emissions systems inspection information remotely without having to travel to designated testing locations.  But to my knowledge, no motorhome built today has the ability to send OBD information remotely.  So as a solution CARB says the test can be conducted anywhere using the truck’s OBD system or stand-alone scan tool provided it’s performed by a CARB-credentialed tester using a CARB-certified readout device.  Who do you suppose is going to pay for the "CARB-credentialed tester" to preform the test 4 times a year.  The average CA smog test for a motorhome today is $90-$125 with a portion of that going to the state as a fee.  I would bet dollars to donuts that any collected fees go straight into the states general fund. This is nothing more than a scam to get motorhome owners and operators of heavy-duty trucks to help pay for Sacramento's spending orgy.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #11
California is working on a ban of all diesel engines in the near future we are not ready for all electric yet we are a long ways from it and by punishing us here in California wont do any good but make more people leave.
                                             Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #12
This is nothing more than a scam to get motorhome owners and operators of heavy-duty trucks to help pay for Sacramento's spending orgy.

- John

If I may preach a bit .....  I agree the problem you are addressing is different than the problem of clean air.  I see it as the problem is a tax/spending.   For example here in Oregon, this State is a user tax place.   Generally, if a law is passed then the users of that service play for it - the money collected is only spent on the government service provided.  For instance, the Oregon State Park system is user fee support.   When you pay for your camp spot that money only goes for the upkeep of said parks.  It can not be spent on anything else.  Also, all Oregon DEQ is supported by fees of the users of that service.   When I buy or renew my car plates I pay a fee to DEQ.   No non-owner of car/trucks pays any money into the system.  DEQ can only get and spend monies from the users.  If they run out of money then DEQ shuts down.   BTW also in my car vehicle-renewal is a fee for a new bridge across one of the rivers here in Portland.  We, the voters, voted for the bridge so we are paying for it.   Nobody in the rest of the State is putting anything in the pot for this bridge.

Maybe a change in California tax law would be a solution.....

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #13
I posed the question to the contact person at CARB and received this LINK in response.

From a reference link, I found:
HD I/M Regulation
In September 2019, Governor Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill (SB) 210 (Leyva, Chapter 5.5,
Statutes of 2019) into law. SB210 directed CARB to develop a new, comprehensive HD I/M
program to control emissions more effectively from non-gasoline on-road heavy-duty vehicles
with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 14,000 pounds operating in California

Italics and red are mine.
That said,  I am not totally sanquine that someone, somewhere in CARB won't include our gasoline engines during the  the process.

joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #14
Good catch, Joel. Hopefully, only diesel pushers are covered.
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #15
Thanks for the do-diligence, Joel.
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #16
Thank you, Joel for your research and  posting that will ease our minds over this issue.😀
A 2006 MidBath  and a 2004 RB

Reply #17
Will keep an eye on this.  Having seen regulations written from within Calif. government, I've seen a few cases  where the law says 'that' but we will write the regs to  do 'this'.  Striking out non gasoline  may look  like a simple and trivial tweak to 'help' air quality.....
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #18
Problem is, as always, many heavy industries that need this regulation most will find loopholes (airlines, boat shipping, O&G).

Reply #19

Maybe a change in California tax law would be a solution.....

Changing California's tax laws will have no effect on air pollution.
Our state has all along been the leader in air pollution controls, someone has to set the course for reducing carbon dioxide emissions if we wish to keep the planet from burning up. Enough said.

As this thread is fast becoming political, I suggest ending this discussion and moving on to other LD and travel-related topics.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #20
Reading the carb section then looking at our LD which is a92 e350 with a gvwr of 11500. We might squeak by.
At work today there were 7 4500 or 450 trucks. I look at them and think AB-5 and the new carb regulation I think man Ca will get more expensive in the near future.
I wonder if the state exempts itself for this regulation,
1992 Mid Bath

Reply #21
Reading the carb section then looking at our LD which is a92 e350 with a gvwr of 11500. We might squeak by.
At work today there were 7 4500 or 450 trucks. I look at them and thin
and the new carb regulation I think man Ca will get more expensive in the near future.
I wonder if the state exempts itself for this regulation,

Your 1992 E350 LD would not be affected by this rule. It isn't diesel powered and its 11,500lbs GVW is less than the 14,000lbs limit.
Licensed government vehicles in California are not exempt from the standard emission testing, they are exempt from license fees, which is why government plates show the word "Exempt" where the year tag is usually placed.

As far as I can tell, everything everywhere is getting more expensive.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #22
One thing no one has mentioned here, this law is not just California. There are about 13 states with CARB trigger laws that follow California. Once it’s put it action in CA, it will become law in those other states as well. So even if you don’t live in or visit CA, this may be coming to your state soon. 

Looking at the bigger picture, the qualifying diesels that travel the interstates to CARB compliant states will have to be CARB compliant so other states without the testing requirements will also benefit from the cleaner emissions.

“There are a growing number of CARB states including California, Connecticut, Colorado, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Washington D.C.”
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo