Skip to main content
Topic: Gas cap (Read 169 times) previous topic - next topic
Gas cap
Hi all, I left my gas cap for my 2002 MB in a gas station sometime ago on the road. It’s not an E4 50 gas cap. Does anybody have a part number for the locking gas cap that I left in a gas station?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Happy trails!
Cal
2002 MidBath

Re: Gas cap
Reply #1
Hi Cal;  Rock Auto has been good to me.  Your standard non locking gas cap  for a 2002 E450 Super Duty:  2002 FORD F-450 SUPER DUTY 6.8L V10 Fuel Tank Cap | RockAuto   is about $11.  They also have a Gates # 31734 locking gas cap for $12.13.        RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Hi all, I left my gas cap for my 2002 MB in a gas station sometime ago on the road. It’s not an E4 50 gas cap. Does anybody have a part number for the locking gas cap that I left in a gas station?
These days, jerks steal your gas by punching a hole in the tank and draining it. Few will try to siphon from the filler, but most feel that giving thieves the option of making off with a few gallons that way, if they are so inclined, sure beats replacing the no-longer-in-production fuel tank you might lose as an altenative...

Go with non-locking.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
These days, jerks steal your gas by punching a hole in the tank and draining it. Few will try to siphon from the filler
Go with non-locking.

Siphoning through the filler is very difficult, the filler tube has a flapper that prevents all but the smallest tubing from being force past the flapper, into the tank.
Punching a hole in the tank is the most practical way of stealing gas.
The type of gas cap is mostly irrelevant, save your money.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Hi Steve;  And the flipside of that is: a bunch of motorhomes in storage:  "Pick that one, this one has a locking gas cap."  A large Channellock plier will rip them right out, so I've heard.  It also keeps juvenile maliciousness under tighter control as to adding foreign substances to the tank, you know, water, sugar, etc.  Those traveling to Mexico 'back in the old days' used to warn to check at full service filling stations, that the pumps were zeroed out, before an attendant inserted the gas nozzle.  The necessity of removing the locked cap first would allow for the owner to check that.  I'm sure that wouldn't happen anywhere in the U.S. right? 
    That last admonition applies just right here in Poway.  The attendant filled my propane tank with eleven gallons! A ten gallon tank will only hold 8, and it wasn't empty. I didn't go back there again, until that owner was forced to sell. Maybe the owner never knew why people wouldn't go to his station. 
     p.s. Whatever brand of locking gas cap I have is very complicated to unlock. And a lightweight (1/16") vinyl coated steel cable keeps it attached to the motorhome.   RonB
        Still available, under $1k   More Information for LILAND GLOBAL FOR03A
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB