Skip to main content
Topic: Mounting SiriusXM antenna on top of refrigerator vent (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic
Mounting SiriusXM antenna on top of refrigerator vent

I bought a SiriusXM SXV300V1 Satellite Radio Vehicle Tuner to go with the SiriusXM-ready Sony radio that came with the LD.  I was hoping I didn’t have to get on the roof so I tried setting the antenna on the dash and up in the overhead but to my dismay I was getting dropouts when camped near trees and driving under overpasses.  Ok, so where on the roof would be out of the way, easy to install and have a full view of the sky?  I decided to put it on top of the refrigerator vent and while I haven’t driven under any overpasses yet, I’m not seeing any dropouts while camped under trees  :)

If anyone is interested, here’s how I mounted the antenna…
I had some 3M VHB Tape and Aluminum Foil Duct Tape left over from a previous project.  At Home Depot I picked up a 4” Electrical Box Cover and some Wiremold CordMate Cord Cover along with various elbow and corner pieces.

I removed the 4 screws holding the refrigerator cover in place and cut away one half of the leaf screen over the vent.  From inside the chimney I drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the wall and into the coach coming out high on the wall behind the driver’s seat.  I fished the antenna wire though and covered the hole with aluminum foil tape to keep flying bugs out.  I then used some aluminum foil tape to hold the leaf screen in place and replaced the vent cover.  Then washed and cleaned the area with acetone and attached the electrical cover with VHB tape.  After positioning the antenna on the electrical plate and using some aluminum foil tape to keep the antenna wire from flapping around, I was more than ready to come down from the roof.

The last step was to run the antenna wire down through the wiremold, under the driver side threshold and up to the radio.  That took some time and a lot of measuring and cutting but I think it came out pretty good.

Hint: I did have to consult YouTube to see how to remove the radio from the dash.  No tools required except for 2 table knives.  The radio I have is a single DIN and to remove it you first remove the control head and pull off the plastic trim piece.  Then slide a table knife on each side of the radio between the radio and the metal shell that surrounds the radio.  The radio should now pull straight out.

- John

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Re: Mounting SiriusXM antenna on top of refrigerator vent
Reply #1
Wow, that's a lot of trouble.  I pulled the antenna cable and receiver out and stuck (it's magnetic) to the left of the engine hood, outside.  Works pretty good.

Bob
2006 RK

Reply #2
To keep the XM antenna off the roof and protected from the elements, ours XM antenna is mounted in the escape hatch, with the cable running inside Wiremold tubing across the ceiling.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
To keep the XM antenna off the roof and protected from the elements, ours\ antenna is mounted in the escape hatch, with the cable run inside  Wiremold tubing across the ceiling.

Unfortunately my LD didn’t come with an escape hatch.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #4

Hint: I did have to consult YouTube to see how to remove the radio from the dash.  No tools required except for 2 table knives.  The radio I have is a single DIN and to remove it you first remove the control head and pull off the plastic trim piece.  Then slide a table knife on each side of the radio between the radio and the metal shell that surrounds the radio.  The radio should now pull straight out.

- John

John,
Could you either link to the youtube that you consulted, or explain more (maybe some pics?).  I also have a 21 with single DIN radio.  My dash doesn't seem to have a plastic trim piece.  Looks like the whole dash area is one piece.  All the youtubes I have seen say to remove the dash from steering wheel over to the glove box to get to the radio.  I'd sure like to change out that awful radio.

Thanks,
Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #5
John,
Could you either link to the youtube that you consulted, or explain more (maybe some pics?).  I also have a 21 with single DIN radio.  My dash doesn't seem to have a plastic trim piece.  Looks like the whole dash area is one piece.  All the youtubes I have seen say to remove the dash from steering wheel over to the glove box to get to the radio.  I'd sure like to change out that awful radio.

Thanks,
Linda

Hi Linda,
Here’s the YouTube video I was referring to.  It’s about how to remove a Sony single din radio and not Ford specific.  The button on the radio that pops off the control head on my radio is on the upper-left.   He uses some special tool to slide in but as he mentions, I just used  couple of table knives.  If you go with another single din radio then be sure to pry inward the 2 long tabs on the metal shell just a little because the table knives will push them outward when removing the radio.  I found out the hard way and the radio didn’t want to snap back in on one side.  Good luck 😊

- John

https://youtu.be/XkXGPx0-7mM

Reply #6
Ah, I see the issue.  I got the driver assist package on my 2021 and with that Ford was not offering radio delete to chassis purchasers.   I have the original Ford radio and it doesn't have a removable front face.

Could you post a picture of your radio/dash area so I could see what LD did with it when they installed the radio?

thanks.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #7
Could you post a picture of your radio/dash area so I could see what LD did with it when they installed the radio?

Sure thing Linda, here you go…

- John

Reply #8
Ah, the photo shows a single DIN radio installed in a double DIN space, with the bottom just available as open space.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #9
Unfortunately my LD didn’t come with an escape hatch.

- John

I think you have a vent there.  I had the escape hatch but instead of doing what Larry did (I am not as competent) I simply put a steel washer under the magnet on the antenna with the screen sandwiched between the magnet and the antenna.  I don't think the antenna is so big as to really bother airflow.  You would have to check fan clearance though.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #10
I think you have a vent where the hatch was.  I had the escape hatch but instead of doing what Larry did (I am not as competent) I simply put a steel washer under the magnet on the antenna with the screen sandwiched between the magnet and the antenna.  I don't think the antenna is so big as to really bother airflow.  You would have to check fan clearance though.

Thanks for the input John, but the vent was one of the places I looked at and discarded because there is very little room between the motor and the screen.  I don't know about the old style vents, but my LD came with the pancake style motor on the Fan-Tastic fan.

- John