Skip to main content
Topic: Is there any advantage plugging into 50 amps Circuit with adapter? (Read 355 times) previous topic - next topic
Is there any advantage plugging into 50 amps Circuit with adapter?
We have been plugging into the 50 amp pedestals with our cord adapters when they are available at campgrounds.

Not sure about why, but it seems to improve the performance of our a/c and/or heat pump. 

Any reason why you wouldn't do this.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour) 
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Re: Is there any advantage plugging into 50 amps Circuit with adapter?
Reply #1
No big deal, but any time you use an adapter you add a potential failure point--poor plug or socket contacts, internal wire break, overheating, etc. I wouldn't do this unless the 30 A socket was not working properly.

Anybody have an idea why the 50A socket would deliver better power via a 30A adapter than the 30A socket? Seems to me it should not, but maybe I'm overlooking something.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2

Anybody have an idea why the 50A socket would deliver better power via a 30A adapter than the 30A socket? Seems to me it should not, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Only guessing but depending on wiring the 50A side may be wired better than the 30A side or on a different side of the 220 splice.
But in general, there should be no difference other than max power draw.

glen

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
   The 50-amp RV socket has 2 hot leads creating a 220VAC capability. The 50-amp to 30-amp adapter draws power from one of those hot leads including the common and ground leads for the appropriate 120VAC for the RV. However that single 120VAC lead is protected with a 50-amp breaker and not 30-amp. If there was an electrical problem between the pedestal and the RV's 30-amp main breaker it will take more amperage to trip the pedestal's breaker possibly making it a safety issue.  Also, if wired properly the pedestal's 50-amp socket should have at least #8 gauge supplying the power. The 30-amp RV socket is probably using #10 gauge wire, the same as the RV's 30-amp power cord. Then what is the distance from the pedestal to the campground's main distribution breaker panel. Yes, if all the campground wiring is done well there would be less line loss with the 50-amp socket. However we know every campground can have varying quality of service.
   There have been times when, because of the campground's wiring distance to the pedestal is long and several other campsites are being fed power from one cable run, the voltage can drastically drop at or neat the end of that circuit. There would be less of that on the 50-amp socket depending on the power draw from the other RV's. It is always very good to test a pedestal's power before connecting.
   I will usually use the 30-amp socket in most cases unless there is a fault issue or low voltage problem.  Sometimes those choices are unavailable.
Mike C
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Good point about the 50A breaker, Mike! Plugging into that outlet with a 30A cord could be risky in case of a problem between the pedestal and the RV's 30A master breakers.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Perhaps I should have asked the experts here first!

Just had a 50a outlet installed on the outside wall of our garage today (when building our house in 2017/2018, we asked the builder to prewire for a future RV outlet -- and for the possibility of running service to a future detached barn/garage/shed/whatever).

The electrician that did the work earlier today said, "they actually ran 100-amp service here , so we can put in a 50-amp outlet if you want to use a dogbone adapter for your RV." I thought, well, sure....that way if I ever upgrade to a 50a RV, I'll be set.

I guess it won't be too much of an issue as I'm not plugged in at home more than 24 hours at a time, and the rest of our wiring is all up to code as of 2017. Fingers crossed.

My portable Progressive EMS seemed happy with everything when I tested it out this afternoon.

Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #6
Yes, running 30 amps on a 50 amp breaker could be a remote risk with faulty wiring. The odds of a issue is very slim.  Here at our ranch I have two 50 amp RV outlets at the house, one in the shop, one in the barn, and one at the full hookup RV pad. There also two 30 amp outlets at the RV pad. I use several 50 to 30 amp dogbones at these outlets with no problem. While stored Villa Verde stays plugged in. It’s been this way for the last twenty years living here including the past motorhomes we have had.  It helps that we have a total of  750 amps of three phase power here. We always welcome our LD family a place to visit when in the area.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #7
No big deal, but any time you use an adapter you add a potential failure point--poor plug or socket contacts, internal wire break, overheating, etc. I wouldn't do this unless the 30 A socket was not working properly.

Heed Andy's advise, using any dogbone adaptor can cause problems, especially in hot weather, they get hot when pulling a lot of amps. I learned this lesson many years ago when a 30-amp to 20-amp adaptor melted while running the A/C during a heat spell.
If 30-amp service is available, use it. Use adaptors only when no other option is available.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
As long as you have an ems power adapter I have "Hughes Power Watchdog" which is designed for 30amps. That way if your RV is trying to get more than 30 amps, the ems will/should cut the power since you are trying to draw more power than you should. I have had this happen before and on the error code it says that the post must be wired wrong since it didn't trip but should have.

I can only think that the ac is running "better" since it is able to draw more amps than it should with combination of other stuff tuned on. Or like others said, it's wired better, but to that, most rvs have 30amps, so those connections get abused a lot! I was recently at a place where the outlet looks like it had some short circuit or something on the 30amp, but the others looked almost new (still shinny).
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #9
Hi Tom;  The 30 amp main breaker in the motorhome power distribution panel is the main shutoff for 30Amps coming in from either shore power or the generator. No matter what configuration of connectors or adaptors external to the motorhome, that's the limiting factor.  Of course it is too 'dumb' to detect flaws such as intermittent connectors, under voltage, wrong frequency, or too high a voltage either.  The 30A power pedestal breaker is in series with the motorhome 30A breaker. One of them will 'trip' first to protect the wiring. The wiring both in the motorhome and in the pedestal, if in good condition are easily capable of more due to generous safety margins in design and construction.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB