Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing TV Antenna (Read 448 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing TV Antenna
Has anyone replaced the Lazy Daze TV antenna with a newer, flatter, lower antenna?  If so, with what brand and do you receive a stronger signal?  What is involved with replacing the antenna?  Thank you in advance for any information. 

Monica
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Replacing TV Antenna
Reply #1
I removed mine to make space for another solar panel, but here is a review of several.

RV Antenna

Check YouTube on what’s involved in replacing one, doesn’t have to be Lazy Daze specific.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
I added the Winegard WingMan to my 2016 MB. $38 on Amazon.
Also added the Winegard RFL-342 Sensar Pro to see the signal strength of the TV signals as I rotate the antenna.
Really helped with getting stronger signals.
2016 Mid Bath

Reply #3

I've put a couple of King Jack antennas on other RVs. I didn't really notice any difference in reception but they eliminate the winding up and down and allow you to turn the antenna to the best signal. Look a lot better too.
jor

Jack

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #4

Hi Monica;  A few years ago I replaced the 'Sensar' batwing Wingard head with the smaller, but I believe more capable, King Jack head.     KING OA8300 Jack Replacement RV Antenna Head - White         It still cranks up and down with the same mechanism, but takes up less room on the roof of my small 'TK.  I did replace the RG-596U cable up lead with a new section of RG-6U to the head because of weathering (age) of the original wire.

Corrected on 10/9:  I'll add this:  the above antenna is for 'over the air' broadcasts only.  Now with LiFePO4 batteries I have enough power to waste on a satellite receiver system.  The Dish Network Fully automatic antenna by King  is the one that can be mounted on the roof.  Amazon.com: KING DT4450 DISH Tailgater Bundle - Portable/Roof Mountable... and the locking bracket to keep it on the roof or allow it to be moved around on the ground is extra$   Amazon.com: KING MB700 Quick Release Roof Mount Kit for KING Tailgater and...
         It's on the back burner for now. I'll have to come up with a plan for a TV first.   RonB

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Hard to beat the batwing for reception, but over time the cable and connections are vulnerable to weather and flexing damage. Replacing and upgrading the coax and connectors will usually restore performance. If Winegard's UHF director array can be added, it may improve distance performance on some stations.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Hard to beat the batwing for reception, but over time the cable and connections are vulnerable to weather and flexing damage. Replacing and upgrading the coax and connectors will usually restore performance. If Winegard's UHF director array can be added, it may improve distance performance on some stations.

When you replace the coax are you saying to run it from the antenna connection all the way back through the roof? Is this a giant pain of a job? Pulling up sealant and resealing?
Steve
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #7
Any thoughts in switching to the Winegard AR-360B Air 360+?  We have a 2019 LD Mid Bath and I would prefer to have an antenna that does not need any maintenance.  I have sprayed the gear and removed it and sprayed it as instructed, but sometimes it does not crank up very well, it seems to bind a bit now and then.  The cable connection has come lose and I have had to seal around it again.  I am concerned about leaks in the future and would like one that is fully covered with no adjusting needed or turning. 

Thinking about taking the LD to Camping World in St George UT and having them put the Winegard AR-360B Air 360+ on.  Any thoughts on issues switching to this antenna, installation concerns, reception concerns, etc? 

Thanks!!!
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty
Full timing since August 2019 when we picked up the LD.

Reply #8
Any thoughts in switching to the Winegard AR-360B Air 360+?  We have a 2019 LD Mid Bath and I would prefer to have an antenna that does not need any maintenance. 

The  Winegard AR-360B Air is an omnidirectional antenna that provides a weaker signal than a directional antenna like the Batwing.
Winegard AR-360B Air     Amplifier Gain –18d (negative)
https://winegard.com/content/pdf/2452463.pdf

Winegard  Sensor IV   Amplifier Gain: VHF  +15.5 dB average, UHF +19.5 dB average
Winegard® RVW-395 - Sensar™ IV White Directional Rooftop Amplified VHF/UHF...

As shown above, you can eliminate antenna adjusting but at a significant signal strength cost....your choice.
All antennas will need their cable connections checked periodically, few things in life are maintenance-free.

You couldn't pay me to have Camping World do anything to my LD.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
"You couldn't pay me to have Camping World do anything to my LD."
----
Maybe some people have had positive experiences with CW, but, from reading and hearing many other negative reports from widely varying locations, I'd find another shop. At the least, I'd check as many recent reviews of the particular CW, and get input, if possible, from any local customers.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
When you replace the coax are you saying to run it from the antenna connection all the way back through the roof? Is this a giant pain of a job? Pulling up sealant and resealing?
Sorry for the delay in responding - your post did not present such that I saw your question.
Anyway, no - there is usually a barrel connector buried in the sealant after it exits the roof, but whether or not, you need to carefully dig out the sealant and connect the new lead from there to the antenna head. If no barrel connector, you will first need to cut and crimp on a new connector and barrel where it can be resealed. It is only above the roof where flexing and sun/ozone damage occurs.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Our Winegard Sensar 4 plastic housing began to fail on the road this summer.  I was able to make a metal bracket to work till we got back home and could replace it.  We have the Wilson cell booster antenna attached to the mast of the Winegard antenna so we can raise and lower it.  I thought about changing our Sensar 4 with a different setup but it has worked well for us.  When the Sensar antenna failed I thought about just leaving the mast alone for the cell booster antenna but I would have to fabricate a bracket to take the place of the missing antenna housing.  I found a new Sensar 4 antenna for $70 so we decided to replace it even though we don't watch much TV.  Our reception did improve with the new antenna, although I did add new connectors.  On the downside, we did forget one time to retract the antenna in New Mexico.  We were heading down a two lane highway when we looked out the window and saw our shadow with the antenna up.  We were lucky that the Batwing was perpendicular to the highway, it may have been giving us some lift?  Funny thing we passed a few cars and no one flashed us to warn us. 

Karen~Liam
      98 ~ MB
        NinA

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #12
RVHIKER22 did you end up replacing the antenna?  What did you do?  Did you replace it. yourself, with what?  How do you like it?

I have some questions about the antenna about maintenance but will start a new topic. 
2019 Mid Bath 27’
Bonnie & David Prouty
Full timing since August 2019 when we picked up the LD.

Reply #13
Just an FYI but I use the Winegard Rayzar automatic. Works very well.

Robot or human?

Expensive.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #14

Hi Bonnie;  Harry's antenna is lower down than the crank up batwing, so will have slightly less range, but it is more automatic.  A lot depends on where you camp, and how far away the stations transmitting towers are from you.
    On my reply a month ago (#4) I got the antenna wrong. That one from Dish was not roof mountable. I edited that comment.  The one for Dish Network that can lock onto your roof is made by King (not Winegard or Dish).  Amazon.com: KING DT4450 DISH Tailgater Bundle - Portable/Roof Mountable...  You have to buy that releasable, locking bracket separately.
    I'm going to keep the King Jack head   KING Jack Replacement Head  that I have now. It goes up and down on the original batwing mast.  The new satellite antenna (monthly subscription needed) will be mounted near the ladder on my TK, since the down lead will be into the hollow aft wall of the closet, where the TV will be located. I don't plan on using it on the ground often, but I thought I'd keep that option available.  RonB

A link to my previous repair of the ceiling when my tv cable from the roof quit. (internal short at the bend up through the roof)  Satellite and TV    

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #15
Just an FYI but I use the Winegard Rayzar automatic. Works very well.

Robot or human?

Expensive.
Watched the Youtube from Winegard, and it certainly does a sophisticated sweep, and I do like that it identifies which RF frequencies and their direction. A noise figure of 1dB is very good too. But... a head preamp can only amplify the already present signal of the antenna, and not improve the signal-to-noise already in that signal. The size of the actual antenna must be very small to have all the elements contained within this package, which spells a fairly low gain device, compared to the Sensar, particularly for the many stations in the upper VHF band. There is not much magic to basic antenna design, and Winegard gives you no info on what is inside the 'black' box. A side-by-side comparison would be useful.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #16
I have satellite TV and Starlink in the LD when TV is important. The Winegard automatic is used in a Roadtrek. I can give no insight to long distance reception, my impression is it is equal to the batwing antenna and a whole lot less hassle. Just push a button. 

Certainly it is better than the original roof embedded antenna of the Roadtrek.

It is used for local TV reception when parked overnight at a truck stop or business for local news without having to raise an antenna. Starlink is not appropriate in those venues.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #17
"RVHIKER22 did you end up replacing the antenna?"

No, I haven't replaced the antenna yet.  This is something I still want to do.   I apologize to all who have responded to my post.  I had hoped to report back by now.  I have been trying to get an appointment to have some work done on my LD, for example, my AC/Heat Pump is not working and I wanted to have that checked.  I also planned on having the antenna replaced and to have a Fantastic Fan cover installed so the rain doesn't come in.  I wanted to have the roof checked.   I have tried making an appointment with different RV places and so far haven't had any luck with getting an appointment.  Some places that I have attempted to get an appointment with told me they will only work on RVs that were purchased from them.  They explained that if they serviced other RVs one would need to wait about six months for an appointment.  Others I have tried don't answer the phone and I've left messages online and  have not heard back from RV service people.  I live in NJ and have tried getting an appointment in NJ and in PA.  I have not tried Camping World because I would never have work done there.   Any recommendations for good RV service places in my area  would be most appreciated.

Monica
2017 Mid-Bath

Monica
2017 MB