Skip to main content
Topic: Additional Interior Entry Grab Bar (Read 176 times) previous topic - next topic
Additional Interior Entry Grab Bar
At the right side of the entry on our 2016 RB the 1 inch wide wood side on the couch seems to be used by many as a hand rail and is starting to show quite a bit of wear. Has anyone installed a slim boat type grab bar along the top of that wood side and do you think that it would be strong enough to support a hand bar ? Those boat grab bars use 1 screw on each end.

It would be mounted on the top not side of the wood..

Thanks
Rick
Rick and Melissa
2016 27ft RB

Re: Additional Interior Entry Grab Bar
Reply #1
We experienced the same kind of wear on our MB and replaced the fabric twice as a result.  The fabric is stabled to a board that is then screwed onto another board.  It’s an exceptionally strong structure.  I’m sure it would support a grab rail.

I’ve considered replacing the fabric with a piece of oak stained to match the cabinets.  I’d sand and round the edges and then give it a furniture quality finish.  At least that’s my plan if we have a next time.

Reply #2
Ed, we just covered ours.   ;)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Interesting topic. In our ‘15 RB every piece of OEM fabric was covered with National Park throws and shams to protect it from wear as soon as we figured out where we placed our grubby little paws. 🐻

The dinette backs are covered as well to protect fabric from campground grime. Try to keep the rig as new as possible in this manner.

The entry door grab bars are sufficient to shoot passed the couch. I actually build a back brace for the passenger side couch to help my DW sit upright during movie nights. Simple project involving a 1/2” piece of plywood and a wrap of fabric to soften its edges.

Our 6 year old rig looks as good as new underneath all the coverings. 🫣

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Kent, the grab bar definitely is useful when entering the coach.  We found that, typically, we grabbed the upholstered section when exiting.  It's also one of the favorite spots for the kitties, no doubt so they can flee out the door when we open it!  
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
I replaced mine with curly maple, and added a matching mini-shelf at the wall end of the dinette table.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"