Skip to main content
Topic: Don't do this! (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic
Don't do this!
During the 17 or so years I've been driving the LD, I have never even gotten close to overheating the E-450 on my 2005 mid-bath. That changed last week when coming over the 4000' pass on I-80 from Oregon to California. I always monitor the gauges and never have I seen the needle of the temp gauge budge from it's normal spot. Through many high passes on hot days it has never moved (seemingly).

It was the perfect storm of dumbness on my part. Towing the Rav4 with the air conditioner on in +100˚ over a 4000' pass. Wife was driving and mentioned a dash light that went on. I immediately thought it was the check engine light again, but no. It was hard to read over her shoulder while she was driving, but when I did, it said, Check Gauge. Looking over everything, the temp gauge was pinned straight up into the hot.

By then we had reached the summit and pulled over and shut off the engine. I opened the hood and checking the coolant reservoir, it spontaneously boiled over with a small amount of coolant squirting out. I never touched anything - just let it cool naturally. After about a half hour, after inspecting for burst hoses or any visible damage, the temp was down considerably and we continued on, driving separately. No further problems, but now I'm thinking I should get hoses inspected or replaced. They are getting pretty old and I don't think I've had any of them changed in many years.

Would it have been better to pull over and keep the engine running to help it cool?
What else should I look for?

Thanks all,
David G
2005 MB

Re: Don't do this!
Reply #1
In the old days we used to let it run and turn on the heater to draw heat off the engine.  Not sure that works on newer vehicles or Ford recommends.
Rick and Melissa
2016 27ft RB

Reply #2
When a 6.8 L V10 overheats, it has a fail-safe system that will start shutting off cylinders in a pattern, letting the flow of air cool the cylinders.
I'm surprised it didn't flash a bunch of dash lights and sound a buzzer, to warn of the overheating.
An overheated engine will still run but with a significant loss of power, enough to get you off to the side of the road.

Since your hoses are 17 years old, it is highly suggested that the radiator hoses and heater hose be changed.
The overheating issue may be the result of a radiator that is plugged up, not unexpected with a rig your age.
The radiator fan clutch may be worn, do you hear the fan speeding up under very hot conditions?
While you are at it, flush and change the antifreeze and throw in a new thermostat.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks Larry. Good suggestions. I will be adding these to my list to address for the next repair session in Oct.

David G
2005 MB

Reply #4
I think you mean I-5.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #5
Yep! It was I-5. Sorry
David
2005 MB

Reply #6
Hey David and other owners of older units.

I think an overlooked maintenance item is cleaning the exterior fins of the radiator. If my memory is correct, Larry W. does have photos on his website dealing with cleaning the exterior of the radiator.

I had noticed the cooling fan cycling on more often on our 2003. I cleaned my radiator fins by removing the plastic piece that the aircleaner snorkel is inserted into. I then used a refrigerator coil cleaning brush to brush out the dirt. There was an amazing amount of debris blocking the flow of air through the radiator, I used the brush on the front and back of the radiator and followed that up with some rinsing with a garden hose. It made a big difference in how often the cooling fan cycled on and off.

I just had my radiator hoses replaced and was absolutely floored by the bill. I think I should have done it myself....

Keep cool!
Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #7
Also, change the air filter!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Larry, my suspicion is confirmed. Last week while in Lakeland Fl having my Bigfeet repaired my scan gauge temp registered 233.
100 degrees in traffic resulting in loss of power. Initially I thought my parking brake was engaged. Fortunately we were near our CG and lowered the temperature by idling and raising the hood. Thanks for the additional maintenance tips.
Malcolm
2002 MB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Looking for some info:
Full throttle climbing Glenwood Canyon in Colorado, 40-50mph, towing a Jeep, scan gauge water temp around 205F
Every light on the dash cluster lit up, engine quit, coasted to a stop.
Turned key off, turned it back on, engine started, continued on to Denver with similar climbs.
No more problems.

What happened?
Harry 2006RB

Reply #10
Full throttle climbing Glenwood Canyon in Colorado, 40-50mph, towing a Jeep, scan gauge water temp around 205F
Every light on the dash cluster lit up, engine quit, coasted to a stop.
What happened?

Classic 6.8 L overheating symptoms. An overheating engine will first reduce power and will eventually shut down before it destroys itself. The dash will light up with warning indicators and a buzzer, it can be shocking.
Climbing Glenwood Canyon on a summer day, towing, with only 205 showing on your Scan Gauge sounds too good to be true.
Good chance the coolant temperature sensor isn't registering the correct temp.

The overheat protection function temperature is determined by a second temperature sensor, located in one of the heads.
This sensor could also be bad.
Is the Check Engine light on and/or does the Scan Gauge show any codes?

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
Is the Check Engine light on and/or does the Scan Gauge show any codes?

No codes or check engine light and started back up instantly. Climbing out of Denver with 222F on the scan gauge two weeks later caused no problems. Obviously you are correct. An overheat signal, spurious or not, shut it down. Thanks for the information.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #12
"Full throttle climbing Glenwood Canyon in Colorado, 40-50mph, towing a [CRV]..."

Same situation, same road, same conditions but many years ago! Had to pull in behind a slow-moving semi to allow following traffic. Never did regain forward momentum and just crawled over the top. Back in those days I wasn't near as savvy and had no scan guage, etc.   :o  :o  :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!