Skip to main content
Topic: Plugging now empty hole in roof (Read 146 times) previous topic - next topic
Plugging now empty hole in roof
Working on my solar project and finally got to the removal of the TV Antenna and old panel...

Any suggestions for best method to plug the remaining holes in the roof (both small screw and large 1-2")?

Some things I'm considering:

- gob of 3m 5200 over some of the butyl caulk I can shove in the holes and then covered by eternabond tape

- Small piece of aircraft aluminum sheet sealed with 3m 5100 and butyl caulk/tape

Re: Plugging now empty hole in roof
Reply #1
I would clean it down to the aluminum (or original paint) and 5200 a piece of aluminum to cover things.

A good bead of 5200 is both an adhesive and a sealant.  I probably wouldn't mess with butyl tape. 

4200 is fine too.

Rich
2003 MB

Re: Plugging now empty hole in roof
Reply #2
I agree with Rich. I sealed a hole in my midbath's roof with a piece of sheet aluminum, held in place with a large area of butyl tape and rolled down to make sure it adhered well. I did what I thought was a really thorough job, and I couldn't imagine it ever failing. But within a couple of years it did, and to my embarrassment, the next owners had a major leak in the overcab bedroom ceiling. I should have used 5200!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"