Skip to main content
Topic: Rats ..... (Read 268 times) previous topic - next topic
Rats .....
Found this article in the New York times.   For those that can't get to the article - there are two interesting points. 
1. Rodents adjust to human behavior very quickly.
2. They, rodents love, yes love the soy-based wiring insulation. 

New York Rats

Personally I've never had must faith in the various 'tricks' we humans have done to avoid rodents in our RV.  I do do a few myself but I think it's (my tricks) are mostly smoke and mirrors.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Rats .....
Reply #1
We live in an area rich with coyotes and red-tail hawks, rats are not a problem.
Unfortunately, for cats and small dogs, the traditional rat cure, they are quickly consumed if left outside, especially at night.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Been using bags of Moth Balls in the RV, at the deer lease and on the back patio as needed. Drives away rats, rattlesnakes, barn swallows, ect and so far has worked for me for 30 years. Throw in some Irish Spring bars inside the RV in the winter along with the Moth Balls.
Rick and Melissa
2016 27ft RB

Reply #3
For years I stored my LD at Holly Acres in NVA. I was on a paved spot that was well slanted. Lots of nice class A rigs and trailers around me and far from the outer edges of the prosperity.  Never had a problem.
The rats that took the cat converter ware another issue.  The yard was putting in prentice measures as I left. 
I think having a very clean rig and being in an area that is not conducive to critters is the key. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
"prentice measures"?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Here is an enlightening video clip about rodent repellent methods (spoiler - nothing worked. They even chewed on the soap):

https://youtu.be/o_0DwsOA9mc?t=548

Rich

2003 MB