Skip to main content
Topic: How to remove valence over dinette on 2014 27’ MB (Read 175 times) previous topic - next topic
How to remove valence over dinette on 2014 27’ MB
I need to replace the auto stop on my slow-rise shades.  I need to remove the valence to get at the shades, but can’t see how they’re installed.  Any advice on removing the valence?

Thanks!
Still pretty new to RV lifestyle & Lazy Daze
2014 27’ MB
Two beautiful Weimaraners, Junie & Pearl (now our angel dogs)

Re: How to remove valence over dinette on 2014 27’ MB
Reply #2
Very interesting issue. On our ‘15 RB (most likely the same shades as your ‘14), the shades rising speed is controlled by a thumb wheel located on one end or the other of the blackout or the day curtains.

If either shade is not raising up completely, the thumb wheel is used to tighten the inner spring to increase the shade tension. Likewise, if the shade is going up too quickly (and possibly striking the inside of the shade assembly) the thumb wheel will need to be turned in the opposite direction of the tightening direction.

A little practice will allow you to determine which direction the thumb wheel needs to be turned to achieve the desired effect.

The thumb wheel can be seen (flashlight will help) by looking upward to whichever end of the blind it resides. Removal of the valance is not necessary.
I’ve adjusted ours a few times and have inadvertently tightened the spring mechanism too much causing the blind to go up too quickly and wrap itself tightly on the roll. This can make it very difficult to reach and retract. It’s not a difficult procedure to adjust the shade tension  and with a little patience it is very doable.

Your ‘14 isn’t much older than ours so the outline I detailed should be sufficient to correct your issue. Then again, perhaps you will need to do as you’ve mentioned in which case I’m not sure exactly how to remove the valance.

Best of luck, Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Thanks for both replies.  I appreciate the help.

I watched the videos on Irvine Shade and Door showing how to adjust the spring tension & stop position.  The adjustment wheels are just barely accessible without removing the valence, but being as bendy as Gumby would be helpful.  On ours, I think the  auto stop is broken; when lowering the shade it doesn’t “catch” at the bottom and just wants to return to the retracted position.  I’ll try reducing spring tension and see if it helps before going any further.
2014 27’ MB

Reply #4
For those keeping score at home….

1. I was able to remove the slow-rise day/night shade without removing the valance.  The shade is held in place with three spring-loaded brackets.  A bit of pressure & the shade popped right out.

2. Irvine Shade & Door told me it’s not the auto-stop, but the spring that needs to be replaced.  The rep I spoke with was very helpful & is sending me the replacement part via USPS.  No charge for the part or shipping.  Amazing customer service.

The removal/installation of the spring appears to be very straightforward & easy.  Two phillips screws hold the bracket to the shade; remove those, pull the bracket off & the spring assembly slides out of the end.  Align the ribs to the notches in the roller tube, slide the new spring in & reattach the bracket.

Jay
2014 27’ MB