Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical issue - last minute, of course (Read 423 times) previous topic - next topic
Electrical issue - last minute, of course
Getting ready to head out this weekend in our 2003 MB and found that the recently installed car radio wouldn't turn on. I pulled the fuse under the hood to check if it was blown. It wasn't, so I stuck it back in. I thought I heard a little "click" when I did that but didn't think anything else of it. That little "click" seemed like a 12v "something" shorted, the same sound when I cut the hot wire to the radio while the house batteries were still connected. In any case, the radio was working again, so great, right? Wrong - when I went to run the generator to check the A/C and so forth, I wasn't getting any power to the microwave, A/C etc.

I don't know if these were connected, so I started to troubleshoot.
-Coach fuses were fine
-Checked the GFCI on the breaker panel. It didn't seem to be working properly (test/reset didn't seem to work)
-Searched for the "universal" breaker under the fridge but couldn't locate it (it should be here, right?)

I plugged the rig into shore power and 110 worked fine, so I checked the circuit breaker on the generator, flipped it on and off, started the generator and voila`, it works again.

I'm not that convinced though, I hope things are ok, at least for our trip. I want to have an electrician take a look to make sure something is not shorting. Biggest concern is our trip to the gates of Hades (southern OR) when it's going to be a balmy 108 on Saturday. I really want to make sure we have A/C for this weekend!

Any thoughts?
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Re: Electrical issue - last minute, of course
Reply #1
"Searched for the 'universal' breaker under the fridge but couldn't locate it"

On my 2003 midbath, that breaker was accessed by removing the drawer under the fridge and reaching around to the left inside that cavity. It's a small gray or black rectangular module--around 1" x 3/4" x 3/4", if I remember correctly--with a little round button on one side.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
"Searched for the 'universal' breaker under the fridge but couldn't locate it"

On my 2003 midbath, that breaker was accessed by removing the drawer under the fridge and reaching around to the left inside that cavity. It's a small gray or black rectangular module--around 1" x 3/4" x 3/4", if I remember correctly--with a little round button on one side.

More info here:  Hidden Circuit Breakers Location - 50 & 100 amps
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Right, Greg! Here's a photo from member Fern showing exactly what the master 12 V breaker looks like in a 2003 midbath. The red arrow points to the tiny reset button. (In my midbath, I replaced this cheap auto-parts breaker with a robust Blue Sea breaker.)
Andy Baird

Reply #4
HOLY COW! I looked right past it, not even seeing the little switch on the left. Thanks for the photo with the arrow pointing to it. That must have been the smallest switch available at the time! I'll follow Andy's lead and replace it.
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #5
"I looked right past it"

That's easy to do, especially since LD didn't bother to document its location beyond a vague mention that it's somewhere near the battery. Yes, it is tiny and easy to overlook. And I for one don't feel as if it's up to the task, regardless of its nominal rating. Look at the heavy wires leading to it, and the terminal posts... then try to imagine that the contacts inside that have to carry the current are anywhere near as hefty! Somehow I doubt it.
Andy Baird

Reply #6
In my midbath, I replaced this cheap auto-parts breaker with a robust Blue Sea breaker.

I'm adding this to my list. Those resettable are not designed for heavy gauge wire. I had lots of them in other rigs but they were typically connected with 14 gauge wire.
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #7

I replaced the "hidden" fuse with an 80-amp MAXI fuse, the solar fuse with a 30-amp Blue Sea breaker, and added ANL catastrophe fuses (250 and 250-amp) to the lithium battery's positive cable and the 2200-watt inverter's positive power supply cable.

MAXI fuse
Littelfuse 0MAB0001F MAXI Fuse Block Holder | Waytek Wire
80 Amp Clear Maxi Fuse (1 per pack) - - Amazon.com

ANL fuse
ANL Fuse Block for 35 to 300A Loads | West Marine
ANL Ignition-Protected Fuses | West Marine

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Thanks for all the great info - I'd love to take this one on, but would need either very detailed instructions or someone to assist/guide me. Any takers in the Sacramento area with time their hands, when the weather cools below 100, of course!
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK