Skip to main content
Topic: Solving the sliding drawer problem  (Read 350 times) previous topic - next topic
Solving the sliding drawer problem
I had several drawers that slid open and bounced up and down as soon as we got on the road. It was really annoying to me. To solve this I installed these magnets that keep the drawers closed. They are a quick, long term easy solution to the problem. There are several types of drawer locking options available but I like the magnets. See pictures below. I also sewed in magnets on all the LD curtains where LD had Velcro so they close and open easier and remain closed. I didn’t like pressing and pulling on the Velcro to close and open the curtains  and if hands were dirty, the curtains got dirty. Now the curtains only need to be positioned close enough for the magnets to catch. We actually pull them at the top at the track so we hardly touch the curtains.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Solving the sliding drawer problem
Reply #1
Great ideas, Tracy!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Here is one more reason to solve the sliding drawer problem.  On a recent drive from Grand Canyon National Park to Page Arizona we inadvertently left the bathroom door ajar.  While driving, the bathroom door swung open at some point followed by the single forward drawer beneath the closet sliding out.  By the time we realized what had happened there was no way to access the rear of the coach as the drawer blocking the bathroom door open prevented entry (the 2 rear windows and the bathroom window were securely locked from the inside).  We spent about an hour on the side of the road trying to retract the drawer without success.  Finally we headed into Page and turned into Walmart to assess our options.  To our surprise, the sharp turns into the Walmart parking lot were sufficient to retract the drawer by gravity and the bathroom door swung back to its normal closed position.  We have since found that pressing down on the drawer handles when the drawers are closed helps to prevent the drawers from sliding open.  We are also more careful about checking that the bathroom door is securely closed before driving.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Reply #3
Glad to hear it resolved itself Paul.  If you have a LD manual handy, the drawers are mentioned in the Interior chapter.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
We had that problem with our mid-bath when we had it. Ours was different in that we had two drawers made to fit under the dining bench seats, the small bench drawer stayed closed but the larger bench, behind the passenger seat, had our pots and pans and with the weight it would slide open when taking corners. I fixed that by installing two eye hooks, one on either side, and putting in a bungy cord between them when we travel. The bungy cord held the drawer in place.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB