Skip to main content
Topic: Out of state purchase (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Out of state purchase
Yahoo Message Number: 143
What is involved in an out of state purchase? These things are few and far between, and I am not well versed in the things that might be necessary if one bought a vehicle in another state when a resident of Texas (my home state).
I am looking for a 23.5 ft, as 24 is the limit because of parking restrictions where I live. I would much prefer to buy something close to home. It would be terrible to go 500 miles, only to discover a real junker. I may have to settle for another brand, Lazy Daze seem rare in Texas.

Out of state purchase
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144
Faulkner, you are lucky to live in Texas. The cheapest registration by far. I am in Oklahoma and planning to put my dad on the title so that I can register it in Texas. Call your local DMV office and ask them questions for around the price range you are looking at. If you buy new from the LazyDaze factory and you are not going to register it in California they have a bonded delivery company drive it to the closest border. That is California state law. LazyDaze factory is very helpful and will answer all questions. Compare the older units to other makes. The only company that comes close is the Born Free. LazyDaze are the best built longest lasting mini's on the market. I have done bookoo research and they are by far the safest. Check out the RV Consumer group! I have joined and it is worth it. Whenever I see a Fleetwood anything on the road I steer clear.
They are death traps! My two cents! Monte Norman, Oklahoma

Out of state purchase
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 160
I would like to point out one small item when considering an out of state purchase. Realize that the temporary permit issued by Lazy Daze is legally only valid in CA.
Once you leave CA other states are under no obligation to honor it. The law requires that you stop as soon as possible in each state to obtain a temporary permit for that state. Now before all of you start yelling back at me, I do realize that hardly anyone has ever been stopped for this. But you should know that you could be, so be prepared. All it takes is a trooper having a "bad" day to make yours even worse.
The RV Consumer Group had an article on this in their last issue of the RV Reporter (page 21).

Glenn Venice FL

Out of state purchase
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 163
Glenn, That is a very good point. I was planning on ordering a 30' IB next January, picking it up in July and driving it back home to Oklahoma via Washington State. Do you buy the permits at the truck weigh stations? I am wondering if I could register it in my state prior to getting delivery. My dad lives in Texas, I was going to put him on the title and register it there.
Oklahoma has some of the highest fees in the country! I'll be touring the factory on July 20.
This club keeps growing! Monte

Out of state purchase
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 164
Glenn, That is a very good point. I was planning on ordering a 30' IB next January, picking it up in July and driving it back home to Oklahoma via Washington State. Do you buy the permits at the truck weigh stations? I am wondering if I could register it in my state prior to getting delivery. My dad lives in Texas, I was going to put him on the title and register it there.
Oklahoma has some of the highest fees in the country! I'll be touring the factory on July 20.
This club keeps growing! Monte

Out of state purchase
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 165
Not sure where you can pick up the temproary travel permits for each state but registering it in your "home" state is an option. In fact that is what I did since I have so many states to travel through to get back to FL. I have my FL tag with me to put on the unit when I pick it up.
The only down side to that is that you have to be very trusting of Lazy Daze, in that you are paying for the unit before you actually get to check it out. But given the reputation of Lazy Daze it was not a problem for me. But it's not something that I would do if buying a Fleetwood product.
Glenn

Out of state purchase
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 166
Not sure where you can pick up the temproary travel permits for each state but registering it in your "home" state is an option. In fact that is what I did since I have so many states to travel through to get back to FL. I have my FL tag with me to put on the unit when I pick it up.
The only down side to that is that you have to be very trusting of Lazy Daze, in that you are paying for the unit before you actually get to check it out. But given the reputation of Lazy Daze it was not a problem for me. But it's not something that I would do if buying a Fleetwood product.
Glenn

Out of state purchase
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 167
Glenn