Skip to main content
Topic: Black Tank Sensors (Read 155 times) previous topic - next topic
Black Tank Sensors
You guys are starting to get me worrying about this black tank sensor issue. We've always used regular paper and lots of water. After dumping we throw in a little Dawn and Calgon and a bucket of water. Also use a bidet. We've never had any clogging or odor problem, HOWEVER, we've always had external sensors.

A few years ago I had the misfortune of a cracked black tank that I had to remove and replace. Anyhow, I took that opportunity to give that old tank a good look. Clean as a whistle. But now I'm wondering if our tried and true method might clog these infernal interior sensors.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Black Tank Sensors
Reply #1
Jor;  Lots of other things to worry about. If you camp much, you'll get used to reading the sensors, or not really needing them much.  The through the wall tank sensors are a heat path. At night warm contents of the tank especially fuller, vapors will condense on the sensor screws, causing a reading of full even with the tank mostly empty. Worse if there is some residue near the sensor inside.  With a 'TK and some other floorplans a flashlight can confirm the black tank sensor reading. Same for the Gray and fresh tanks.  In the TK I can pull out a drawer and shine the light through the tank wall.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Many years ago, the wife ran out of water while washing her hair...she thought there was enough water.
It wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us.
Installing the SeeLevel tank monitor eliminated that problem, now we know a lot better how full or empty the tanks are.
Holding Tanks Solution - Garnet Instruments
https://www.etrailer.com/Smart-RV/SeeLevyeL/SE34VR.html

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Installing the SeeLevel tank monitor eliminated that problem
I'm familiar with SeeLevel as I've installed it on two rigs. I think, however, we'll do as Ron describes and see how it goes. I'm real happy to have a LD and we'll get used to the differences. Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #4
So far, our factory tank sensors are still working.  The See Level gauges would be a nice upgrade so I have it on the wish list, along with installed tank rinsers.  In the MB, the FW tank can monitored by pulling out one of the galley drawers.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264