Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing the fan vent cover (Read 242 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing the fan vent cover
While doing some roof maintenance on the AC I noticed the fan vent cover hinges were very brittle and one was broken. Does anyone know if what model vent cover is compatible? It’s a 2008 LD. Thank you!
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Re: Replacing the fan vent cover
Reply #1
Any RV vent cover will fit a standard 14" vent, so you have plenty of choices from Camco, Maxxair, Fan-Tastic, and others.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
"Any RV vent cover will fit a standard 14" vent, so..."

So perhaps it's time to replace it with the MaxxAir Vent Fan. They come with an integral rain cover which can be left open even while traveling. I've got five (5) of them, lots of ventilation from all directions.

And contrary to the objections from Steve Newton I've never experienced any water ingression on any of them.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Any RV vent cover will fit a standard 14" vent, so you have plenty of choices from Camco, Maxxair, Fan-Tastic, and others.

So it attaches in a universal fashion then? This is what I’m not sure about.

Regarding the Maxx Vent, is there a recommended model that is a fairly straightforward swap out?
Joe B.

Reply #4
Here's a video explaining how to install a plain-vanilla Camco vent cover. Other brands are pretty similar. Watch this and you'll get an idea of how it goes. Not hard. :-)
Andy Baird

Reply #5
Here's a video explaining how to install a plain-vanilla Camco vent cover. Other brands are pretty similar. Watch this and you'll get an idea of how it goes. Not hard. :-)

By the way, that photo you posted looks like a Camco Aero-Flo vent cover that I used to own. I bought it because it offered very easy access for cleaning. But I found out after a year or two that the translucent plastic top section--the part whose hinges broke on yours--soon became as brittle as an eggshell. I was able to literally crumble it with one hand.

X

Moral: if you have more than one of these vent covers, and if any of them are showing signs of cracking or breakage, replace all of them now. And anybody who's considering buying one: don't. Good design, bad materials.
Andy Baird

Reply #6

Thanks!
If I can replace the Onan genset carburetor then I think I can handle this! I always like to ask because I dive in because you never know if something is quirky on these LDs! Thanks!
Joe B.

Reply #7

By the way, that photo you posted looks like a Camco Aero-Flo vent cover that I used to own. I bought it because it offered very easy access for cleaning. But I found out after a year or two that the translucent plastic top section--the part whose hinges broke on yours--soon became as brittle as an eggshell. I was able to literally crumble it with one hand.

[attach type=image]30263[/attach]

Moral: if you have more than one of these vent covers, and any of them are showing signs of cracking or breakage, replace all of them now. And anybody who's considering buying one: don't.

Yep this is the situation I’m dealing with. Time to replace. Maybe I’ll switch it up and go for the smoke covers. Which ones do you currently have on?
Joe B.

Reply #8

I have had good luck with these covers, none of the available covers are very difficult to install. All will become brittle with exposure.
Amazon.com: MAXXAIR 00-933066 Original Vent Cover-White : Automotive

FYI-A smoke or black cover will cut out much of the light entering through the vent.

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Well I'll jump in on this; The 'smoke' covers are a lot darker than they seem. I had one in the bathroom and it was always too gloomy.  The Fantastic vent covers are lighter, and now I know, the proper amount of tint.  For our bath, I do have an insert for insulation. Sometimes it does get too hot in that room. No direct A/C vent.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
"Which ones do you currently have on?"

Many years ago, I remember confidently asserting that Lazy Daze ought to make vent covers standard on all their coaches. That was when I lived in the Northeast. Now I live in the Southwest, and I haven't had any vent covers in the past five years. Hmmm. Seems I was a little too sure of my opinions back then. ;-)

Yes, it rains occasionally here (we're in "monsoon season" now)... but not often enough to make it worth my while to put covers on my vents. (Besides, the rig I have now came with Fan-Tastic vents with rain sensors, so they close automatically.) So I don't have any useful advice on which vent covers are best.
Andy Baird

Reply #11
"...Is there a recommended model?"

Yes there is! Over time technology has brought models with a remote control, a feature I do not have. But, that said, the basic Deluxe fan is the way to go. You have the best of both worlds, a nice quiet fan (as opposed to the Fantastic), reversible direction, operability both closed and open, built in rain cover (nothing more to buy) and the ability to have the vent open rain or shine, parked or driving. They fit the standard 14x14 roof opening and you can obtain power from a nearby light fixture if it's not already there.

Maxxair - MAXXFAN Deluxe All-In-One RV Vent, Shield & Fan | Airxcel
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!