Skip to main content
Topic: Braking with Toad (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic
Braking with Toad
We've towed a lot with diesel pushers and plan on towing with our LD (10 Subaru Forester, 3,500#).  We will use our ReadyBrake for toad braking.

I took off the tires today to check the brake pads (all really good) and got to thinking about towing and have a couple of questions:
* When descending a 6 or 8% grade, does the Tow/Haul device allow you to maintain a target speed or do you have to apply the brake pedal a lot?
* What is a typical RPM number when descending.
Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Braking with Toad
Reply #1
I also use a ReadyBrake with my Jeep.

I gear down as much as I need to feel comfortable, using the brakes as little as possible. I don't mind being the pokey puppy.   ;)

Not sure about the RPMs.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #2
I gear down to descend at the same speed as I went up, so the RPM is about the same. If it does not sound like the engine is about to explode, drop it down lower. This way I don't need to use the brakes very much. This is the V10 engine.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #3
When descending, I keep the RPMs at 4100  lower, it sounds as if the engine is going to explode but it is designed for high rpm operation, being equipped with overhead cams and small, lightweight pistons.
Let her spin!

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I keep the RPMs at 4100  lower

That's what I need. Thanks. I am used to monitoring RPMs closely so I'm in familiar territory.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #5
I wouldn't worry about it too much since the computer limits rpms (by rev limiter) to around 5,250 rpm. Sure it gets loud, it is a high-rpm motor. Most of the noise is from the engine fan. Why a limit at 4,100 rpm?

Charles

Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King