Skip to main content
Topic: La Crosse Technology Clock (Read 308 times) previous topic - next topic
La Crosse Technology Clock
Our MB came from the factory with a La Crosse clock which we have found very helpful.  The original clock lasted about 8 years.  We purchased a replacement and that one recently failed.  We now have a third clock.  I went to install the outside temperature sensor in the black PVC pipe that LD provided and see that the sensor is slightly too wide to fit into the pipe.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an alterative place for the outside sensor?
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Re: La Crosse Technology Clock
Reply #1

Hi Paul.  Was it this clock?  Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology Atomic Digital Clock with Outdoor Temperatur...   If the new clock is the same as the old clock you might be able to use the old temperature sensor with the new one.  You seem to be having a bad run with those clocks. I've seen a few that were 20+ years old still working.
   I don't know the details of where LD stashed the outside sensor.  Pictures?  I'm sure there are lots of places.  I just hang mine from a mirror arm out of the sun. (I'm always afraid I'll drive off without it!)   RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
"Does anyone have any suggestions for an alterative place for the outside sensor?"

I've carried mine, attached with SuperLoc tape, on the LP tank. Problem is engine heat gives erroneous reading until engine cools down.

Another place would be inside the faux tire cover!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Ron.  On our 2009 MB the external sensor is inside a piece of PCV pipe with a screw on cap underneath the LD on the driver’s side rear corner.  Pictures?   Too hot to crawl underneath.

One solution would be to install a larger diameter piece of PCV pipe.  Btw, I’ve stuffed a piece of foam inside the pipe so the sensor has something soft to support it. 

Reply #4

This is the clock we recently ordered:

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology 513-1417AL-INT Atomic Clock w Outdoor Temp,...

For the MB, LD provided a PVC pipe on the driver's side rear to hold the outside sensor.  See photo.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        

Reply #5
Hi Paul.  Thanks for the picture. If the new remote won't fit there, new pieces of ABS pipe can be assembled to fit the new remote sender and screwed in in the same general vicinity. The instructions did say to keep the sender at least 5 feet away from the display. (kind of odd!)   RonB

Reply #6
Paul, there was a thread 9 months ago on this very issue.  You can see my solution in reply #4.  I also have a MB.  So far it’s working ok but I would like to get the sensor back in that PVC tube somehow so let us know if you find a way!  👍

What have you done to your Lazy Daze today?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
We followed up with Lazy Bones' suggestion and attached the temperature sensor with velcro to the bottom of the faux tire cover.  Seems to be working ok.  Probably only the second time we have opened the faux tire cover.  Not surprisingly, it was quite dirty inside the cover.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        

Reply #8
We followed up with Lazy Bones' suggestion and attached the temperature sensor with velcro to the bottom of the faux tire cover.  Seems to be working ok.  Probably only the second time we have opened the faux tire cover.  Not surprisingly, it was quite dirty inside the cover.

Yes, it does get quite dusty under that cover and has had, at least in my case, water intrusion.  I recently replaced the gasket so hopefully that will help:

“Spare Tire” Seal
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
"...attached the temperature sensor with Velcro to the bottom of the faux tire cover."

For additional protection you could seal it inside a Ziploc freezer baggie.   ???   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
Hi Greg. That tire cover isn't meant to be water tight. In my case the tire is better there out of the sunlight, and won't be subjected to water and dirt near as much as the other six tires!  Of course you could build a better sealing surface around the inside of the cover and put real sealing gaskets in.   RonB