Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator, ARP (Read 312 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator, ARP
This rig (09) has the original Dometic absorption frig. Today I installed an ARP Frig Defend which shuts down the refrigerator if it gets too hot. I've had these devices in a couple other rigs and appreciate the peace of mind they provide. This time I got one with an automatic fan which sucks in outside air and runs it up the flue. Anyhow, just about at the end of my list!  :D 
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Refrigerator, ARP
Reply #1
Good idea, Jor!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Was it difficult to install?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Was it difficult to install?

Not bad but this is my third one so I knew what to expect. There is an installation manual which gives you step by step instructions. You can download it from their site (ARP). Took me several hours but that's par for the course. I always figure my jobs will take three times as long as I estimate and cost twice as much!

Essentially, you:
* Install a temperature sensor on the boiler tube;
* Install a temperature sensor on one of the coils;
* Run the 12v board power through the ARP unit;
* Wire the fan(s) to the ARP unit;
* Test the unit on gas and electric.
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #4
Yep, it is a pain in the butt to install. Placing the boiler tube sensor is not trivial.

A healthy refrigerator really doesn’t need it but I have found it invaluable on a failing one. I did put a light on the dash to come on when it activated which was not a trivial exercise, either. A failing fridge lit it up many times before I replaced it. The new fridge never lights it up but then I do keep it level. Mountain grades don’t even turn it on. That surprised me.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #5
I never heard of one of these things. I’m pretty sure my fridge is old. It was very nice to see this info. Thanks Jor

Chris
Chris and Penelope
2001 Rear Kitchen

Reply #6
Last December, our refrigerator died of plugged-up pipes.  Banging on the tubing brought it back to life for a day or two but it was a temporary fix. With the supply chain issues, no full replacements were available for several weeks sor months so I ordered and changed the cooling mechanism. Steve gave me a hand in the replacement (all done inside the rig).

Plugged tubes are commonly caused by overheating and off-level operation so I thought I would give an ARP a try might help prevent future problems. Installation wasn't hard with the refrigerator not in the cabinet.

Is the ARP working? Who knows?
I like how the external cooling fan is automatically controlled and how small and effective the internal squirrel cage fan works, both the large external and smaller internal fan are the best I have tried over the last 25 years.
So far, so good. As usual, this is a long-term test and not a recommendation...yet.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Will wait to hear your assessment, Larry!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
As an aside, the plastic Dometic uses for it’s control box cover will melt but it will not sustain flame. The plastic in the ARP box will melt, drip, and burn.

This “test” happened when I left the propane fitting loose to the refrigerator on a different RV and it lit off when the fridge lit off. I saved everything with a Halon extinguisher. The ARP case was the last to subdue. Compliments to Dometic for picking an appropriate plastic. Just an FYI. The ARP case should never have the opportunity to light off.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #9
Follow up by OP

I gotta say, the ARP fan sucking air through the outside vent and pushing it up the flue is doing a great job. The rig is parked outside in the hot Arizona sun (about 105 today). The Dometic frig door control is set on #2 of 5 and it is keeping the box at 38 degrees or so. Our last rig had a Norcold. On that one, I added a 4-banger fan setup at the top of the flue which helped a lot but not as much as this setup.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester