Skip to main content
Topic: awning not returning completely... (Read 682 times) previous topic - next topic
awning not returning completely...
Trying to diagnose the issue with my awning (Fiamma F45). I replaced a broken part of one shock absorber, and it seems to now be working as it did before, but I also realized it does not close completely. It will retract the awning so the bottom comes in, but leaves a gap at the top. The little closure flags drop down, but do not completely retract. I note, however, that if I leave the awning out with about a 1/2" gap at the bottom, I can push in either end to the completely closed position. Something in the middle appears to be preventing the two ends from closing completely, I can see no sign of warpage or damage in the awning itself, but I wonder if the side of the rig could be bowed enough to cause this issue. has anyone run across this before? Thanks for any advice.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: awning not returning completely...
Reply #1
Steve,

I sometimes have an issue with my awning not completely closing at the left end. I recall that Larry mentioned a rotating cam on each end of the awning at the retraction mechanism.

The cam (if I recall correctly) takes up the slack in the awning fabric. There should be a link somewhere on the forum or you may want to PM Larry. Here’s a video I just found in YouTube. https://youtu.be/vY3NubzC29k

If you cannot access YouTube, I included two pics of the left side adjustment cam.
Wish I could be of more help.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Thanks Kent, but I don't think this is the issue - the awning closes evenly, but not completely at both ends. It seats in the middle first.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
I have the issue Kent refers to.  Sorry Steve, no experience with the problem you mention but I’m sure someone will chime in.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Steve,

Your issue is interesting. Are the legs and their feet seated correctly and flush with the outside cover?

I have occasionally neglected to fold the legs correctly and they strike the center on the Fiamma housing.

Are the legs pivot points seating completely? Are they clean and WD’ed?

I imagine everything is straight and true. Photos may be helpful. Sorry. 😞

Kent

Reply #5
Everything properly seated. The 'straight and true' not so sure. Possibly could be some lower edge interference between the awning top case and the front facia (Fiamma's wording). If I wiggle the facia by hand to underride the interference, the awning seats. This may mean some distortion of one of the edges, since there IS clearance for most of it. Will keep examining the thing.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Did you replaced one or both shock absorbers?
It can make a big difference since they harden and stretch as they age, both should changed at the same time.
I thought part of one of the end caps broke, the end caps have ramps that guide the cover into place.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
I only replaced the one that broke - but I have the other one too. End caps and guide mechanisms seem ok - I cleaned and relubed them. Next I will check with a straightedge for warpage or damage to the edges.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Since the interference I noted was not due to obvious bending or distortion of the mating surfaces, I decided to just thoroughly clean and silicon-lube the edges. Now it retracts completely and smoothly. I wonder how much better the whole rig will work if I do the same...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Hello Steve and others with the same issue.

Just returning from a trip and had issues with the awning closing.  (see photo) 

I did watch the YouTube video but am still hesitant to tackle the adjustment. 

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #11
Tony,

The adjustment notches remind me of adjusting the drum brakes on a VW Bug. I can’t imagine getting it wrong although I haven’t taken the step to adjust my awning yet. Soon though. I’m getting braver as I age. 🎂

Kent

Reply #12
Thank you Ed, Margee, and Kent

I appreciate this more than I can express.

Will try these recommendations in the next few days.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R

Reply #13
Just a quick footnote.  The first step to getting the case or cover to close is to make sure the awning is tightly wound on the roller. If one part of the awning isn't tight, then it bunches up and prevents an end(s) from closing.  When I can't get our case to close, I'll fully extend the awning and make sure the support arms or braces have extended the same length.   They don't always do that.  Then I'll lock the arms into place and start to roll up the awning until I can't reasonably roll it up anymore.  Now I know the awning is tightly and evenly wound.  Unlock the support arms and finish rolling up the awning with the support arms still attached while rolling up the awning until it's once again tight and I can't reasonably roll it anymore.  Now I'll stow the arms and finish rolling up the awning.  This usually works.

If either of the ends are not closed, then on to the next step because the awning has probably stretched.  The presto fix is only for adjusting the rear end of the awning opening.  If only the front part of the awning doesn't completely close, then the solution is to use something like a piece gorilla tape (2" x 4"-6") on the leading edge of the awning fabric when fully extended (at the top nearest the roller).  This causes that section to increase in diameter similar to the presto solution.  It might take some experimenting with various lengths of tape and various locations.  I've shared this solution with Ken Fears and it worked for him and it has for me.

Hope this is clear ... which I doubt!

Reply #14
"...then the solution is to use something like a piece gorilla tape (2" x 4"-6") on the leading edge..."

The day I ordered my '04 30'IB I told Steve N. that I'd prefer NOT to have the awning that came with the LD. His immediate reaction was what, if any, will you eventually install? Once I told him it would be an A&E (now Dometic) he asked me where the mounting points were to be and offered to block those areas during construction.

Outside of losing one 20' awning to a wind squall in Montana I have never had to "make adjustments" to either of them!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #15
I did the adjustment on mine but it still doesn't close completely on the left end, even though the red flag indicates it is locked.  I guess I need to revisit it.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
Greg,

I won’t assume anything so I’ll ask instead. Are all the arms etc clean and lubed. Everything is tucked in as they should be? I would imagine that you had taken all those little steps already.

There are videos that mentioned fabric tension for closing issues. Sometimes the simplest of things can keep us scratching our heads. And with age and a thinning hair line, that can add a whole set of other issues. 🙄

Keep us posted on your level of success. I’ve still got mine to contend with. I’m counting on you. No pressure.

Kent

Reply #17
Hi Greg;  The torque tube, otherwise known as the roller, will still twist up when it is tight. So it is normal to lock at the end closest to the winder, and not quite latch at the end farthest away.  Put some adjusting tape at the far end, so it will be tighter before it gets to the winder end latch.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #18
Thanks, Ron.  What is adjusting tape?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #19
Just a strip of any tape along the edge to adjust the diameter slightly. Not duct tape it ages poorly. Not vinyl tape, it leaves a messy sticky residue. Painters blue tape about 3/4"-1" to see if it works. No residue, might age well.  RonB

Reply #20
OK guys - let me get this straight.

After extending the awning outward to it's fullest - the "painters Tape" is attached under the awning edge running from the RV outward to the end of the awning?  Yes/No

You would try this first - before any of the other suggestions in this thread? 

Going tomorrow - so I will try it. 

I figure the worst that will happen is that the awning will stay unlocked on one end until we attend the LD Caravan in Desert Hot Springs in October - then I can receive firsthand on the spot instructions. I will bring extra tape in case others have the same issues.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R

Reply #21
First of all, we’ve used Gorilla tape to fix the front gap and it’s worked just fine for several years.  (Disagree with RonB😇).

Secondly, the length of tape is only 4”-6”.  The location is somewhere near the top of the awning when fully extended.  The exact location and length takes a bit of testing.

Btw, this fix was the recommendation from the awning company (Fiamma) as demonstrated in a YouTube video.

And that’s how I’ve done this awning fix. 

Reply #22
I haven't tried Gorilla tape, so it may be fine.  I have seen DucK tape (A play on words with duct tape) last just a few weeks in hot sun conditions, including the inside of the Fiamma housing. It was used to repair a small 2" tear. A proper patch with a fabric repair tape may have fared better.
   As Ed stated, just a few inches applied on one edge will build up diameter.  More diameter if applied near the roller. Each layer will be larger as it is rolled up.   If applied closer to the outer support rail, the piece will only add to the diameter on the one layer. For something like a small adjustment to get the second end latch to lock, just a short thin piece may do the trick.    RonB

Reply #23
First of all, we’ve used Gorilla tape to fix the front gap and it’s worked just fine for several years. 

I have used duct tape on many LD awnings, mostly pre-2004s, successfully for years. Our LD's 20-year-old awning was adjusted using duct tape (Gorilla brand) many years ago.
Around 2004, Fiamma added a red adjustment ring, located on one end of the roller, that can increase the diameter at the end of the roller, it works the same as duct tape and is a lot easier to use.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #24
Did you replaced one or both shock absorbers?
It can make a big difference since they harden and stretch as they age, both should changed at the same time.
I thought part of one of the end caps broke, the end caps have ramps that guide the cover into place.

Larry
Larry, I tried the tape and it did latch somewhat better, but then the right side (front of the vehicle) didn't latch.  It seems that the folding arms are hanging down too low.  It is possible that both of the shock absorbers are worn out and need to be replaced?  It is frustrating, but I truly do appreciate all of your advise.  Both ends are now locked, but to do that I had to lift the tube on each side for them to be in position to lock.

Maybe the group of us (there are many LD Owners with the same adjustment issues) should meet at one of the GTG and have an awning seminar.

Where do you order the Fiamma Parts?  Two shock absorbers.  Mine is a 13' Fiamma 45S.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R