Skip to main content
Topic: The day has come, LD has closed (Read 7682 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: The day has come, LD has closed
Reply #100
I like the high clearance.  Is it 4WD?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #101
The supply of cutaways was reduced after the 2008 recession, and Ford never reopened the closed production lines.
The big RV companies and U-Haul have priority, leaving few or no E450 cutaways available for the smaller RV manufacturers. The supply chain problems caused by Covid have made the situation worse.
Kinda short sighted by Ford, not the keeping production lines closed but prioritizing larger customers.  Better to keep smaller customers fully supplied as the larger customers can absorb a couple less cut sways a year.

By keeping more of the small customers solvent, means you’ll have a larger market coming out of a downturn or crisis.

Oh well
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #102
Short term profit vs long range planning.  Who knows if Ford chassis will even be around in a few years. 
   Maybe I'll find a Fuso diesel chassis,     Used Mitsubishi Fuso Cab Chassis trucks for sale | Machinio    ,  electric 'hybrid it', and build my own. With the Lazy Daze Logo and traditional paint pattern.   Then again, find a used class 'C' of some other brand and fix it up until it is 'good enough'.   Nexus comes to mind.  I hear the depreciation is much worse on those others, might be able to pick  up a 2014 pretty cheap.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #103
Ron,

I can see you now. Ran into a hand made Class C on a Fuso chassis in Yosemite a couple of years ago. Not a Lazy Daze but quite compact.

Here are pics of the beautiful hand crafted wonder.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #104
Funny. Is that a corrugated roof I see?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #105
Greg,

Yes indeed it is a corrugated roof. There is also a small awning that opens above the door as it is opened. No sagging fabric there.

Even has solar to boot.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #106
Comes complete with an outside thermometer by the door.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #107
I have a question for the lawyer types in the group: could the company information on LDs be required to be made public under the "Right to Repair" laws? (say, for instance, how to manufacture the end caps) The background on this comes from my being an amateur astronomer and a brand of telescope (Meade) went bankrupt and apparently sold. The company that bought it (Orion, I think) is not repairing broken scopes or supplying proprietary hardware or updating "broken" proprietary  software. There is a growing movement to possibly sue to get this information under Right to Repair.  This topic just came up on those forums. I think you can see where my mind has wandered. I have absolutely no knowledge of the law itself or how it could/should be used. Just wandering if it is in any way applicable here.
Ken
Admins feel free to delete if too off topic
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #108
Todd is reaching out to folks on the list, bless his heart.  Here is the text I received today:

Hi Dave, this is Todd from what was Lazy Daze which has shut down permanently and you were on the list for a while for 24 twin king and since you’re on the list I have somebody is selling their 2018 thought you might be interested? I’ve attached the information if you want to call her. You better move fast if you want because they’re hard to come by and there are no more lease days available new since we are permanently closed. So please let me know if you’re interested or not or give her a call. Sorry for the bad news I hope this works out for you. Thank you Todd

To which I replied:

Hi Todd, thanks for reaching out.  I took your email update earlier this year to heart and purchased a used 2017 TK back in March, as a hedge against what happened last month.  In Yellowstone right now with said TK.

Thank you for your efforts over the years, really appreciate what you have done for Lazy Daze folks!

This is my 2018 Lazy Daze noted above, just to clear up any possible confusion. I hope today's price reduction (classifieds) will help those who were waitlisted.

Reply #109
So are manufacturers like Forest River, Jayco, Coachman, Nexus, Winnebago etc. getting these chassis over Lazy Daze because they buy more volume?

We started looking at other brands a couple months ago suspecting that new LDs would not be made anymore.

The big companies are getting new Ford Chassis but they have been trickling in this year  (better now than earlier this year but I don’t think at their old numbers yet). 

I saw a post by an RV buyer who got delivered ended a Ford 350 chassis instead of the Ford 450 it was ordered with.  He was reminded the contract said the manufacture could swap out with other components as needed.  It was around a 25’ RV, the guy (i think a first time RV buyer)  decided it was not a big deal to have the smaller engine for his size RV.  I would have passed. 

We went by a Ford dealer a month ago to check on the towable Broncos that are now being delivered. A huge lot with hardly any cars for sale - didn’t even look like a dealership (maybe 20 cars with 500 empty spots).
Shows supply line issues are still a big problem.

Todd had mentioned (talked to him just before the shutdown), even if they got the chassis, there are still issues getting the other components to build RVs.

A side note, we had heard that Born Free was a quality brand when we first started looking in mid 2010s.  Last month we checked out a used one just to see quality.  We were not Impressed at all.  I think their reputation was based on them doing custom builds (they would make all kind of changes).  Looking at quality of basic cabinetry and other components, we took them off our list of brands to consider, neither of us were impressed.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #110
Since no more Lazy Daze motorhomes are being built, what does this do to the used unit suggested price lists?

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #111
"what does this do to the used unit suggested price lists?"

That list was always a very rough estimate, based on a limited number of asking prices (not selling prices) that were extrapolated to fill in many, many missing data points. What will happen to used LD asking prices in the future remains to be seen. They could go up because of scarcity, or down because it's now an orphaned product. Ask again in a couple of years when there's some new data.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #112
Prices will rise and likely remain higher than comparable class Cs.  However, the LD fan club is a small one and the membership will fade along with enthusiasm for the brand.  10 years out...   I think prices for well preserved specimens will remain on the high side.  20 years out....   Lazy Daze will be a collectors item and some will still be well maintained in good condition.   However, most will have passed to the other side.  30 years out....   a small number of collector type units still on the road.  The cost of gas has made them impractical for trips of any length.  And any left will slowly fade away.....     Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #113
30 years out....   a small number of collector type units still on the road.  The cost of gas has made them impractical for trips of any length.  And any left will slowly fade away....
By then, electric RVs will dominate the road, Lazy Daze will be a oddity.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #115
30 years from now I'll be 105.   I'm guessing nobody will be happy to see me driving down the road in anything but my walker.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #116
Just to add an update for anyone who needs parts....

I emailed Todd earlier today.   Todd Miller <ldrvtodd@yahoo.com>

He responded immediately and said in part "All is good and yes I will be helping all with anything needed in the future. I have access to parts and service for anything."

I bought a couple skirt knobs for the rear tire covers. Haven't lost any and hopefully never do, but thought it would be a good time to get a couple just in case...

2016 MB

Reply #118

He responded immediately and said in part "All is good and yes I will be helping all with anything needed in the future. I have access to parts and service for anything."

I bought a couple skirt knobs for the rear tire covers. Haven't lost any and hopefully never do, but thought it would be a good time to get a couple just in case...

Good to know, thanks!  I wonder if end caps will be available?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #119
I'm listed as a newbie but I'm the original owner of a 2000 TK and have no complaints - still love it.  I lived in NE when I bought it and never saw any on the road - just decided it was the best choice after researching class C rvs.  It still is.  So many of the newest rvs of all classes have serious problems just off the assembly lines.  The big manufacturers are rushing them out the door with little QC.  Sales are slowing down now with higher interest rates.  I remember my trip to the factory and dealing with Ed, who talked us out of several add-ons.  His right foot was in a cast as he took us on a trial ride - drove with his left.  Swerved all around to show us how stable it was!  Then turned it over to me.  We sent the deposit a month later.  Now living in NV so we see lots more LDs but don't get to the factory easily.  I hope to keep this one until I have to stop driving it.  This group matters!!
2000 TK

Reply #120

I bought a replacement bath skylight for my MB from Todd, and it arrived today.  I contacted him via email, paid via ApplePay (he accepts other forms too).   He kept me informed and was easy to deal with.

IMO, this is a valuable service, particularly for parts (like the bath skylight) that aren't easily available elsewhere. 

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #121
paid via ApplePay (he accepts other forms too).

Now this is a huge upgrade!! I never got around getting a fire exit cover since the othership required me to mail a check and then they would mail me the part... Could never get around to do that...
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #122

Maybe a mod can put Todd's email and phone on the home page to assist those who don't already have his contact info.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #123
I wonder if Todd would be willing to set up a little consulting business to help owners with technical issues and finding replacement parts.  He knows the answers to many of our questions and is an encyclopedia of parts sources.  He recently helped me find the source for an obscure item.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #124
Earlier discussion about the Ford Chassis being hard to get, I would bet the large metal sheets they use on those roofs which they imported from overseas would have been near impossible to get over the last year.
Rick and Melissa
2016 27ft RB