Skip to main content
Topic: I think...I've finally fixed my generator issue (Read 142 times) previous topic - next topic
I think...I've finally fixed my generator issue
Since we bought our LD in 2019, it's been a splendid rig except for the extremely finicky Onan 4000 generator. Prior to our ownership it has only about 100 hours on it so it was obvious it was not exercised enough. I've had an issue with it surging after warming up and had replaced the spark plug, fresh oil, adjusted the altitude knob, replaced the fuel filter, added a fuel shut off to the gas line prior to the carb, and finally tried seafoaming the hell out of the carb using a separate gas line and gas container to ensure the seafoam was getting right into the generator. Long story short, none of it did the trick and when you have kids and boondock on occasion in the summer, you need AC and therefore you need a working gen.

Reluctantly, I decided to fork over $280.00 to Amazon and buy an OEM Cummins carburetor because I knew the cheap knock offs were problematic. I REALLY didn't want to pay a Cummins dealer so as usual, I watched some Youtube videos and decided to tackle it myself. It theory, a straightforward job but if you have done this job you know how hard it is to get the gaskets on either side of the carb lined up with the bolts.

To my amazement, I pulled out the existing carb and it was one of those cheap knock offs!!! I couldn't believe it. Evidently the previous owner had this genny issue too and tried to go the cheap route.

It ran smooth as silk for over two hours for the past couple days. Testing continues but I think I finally have a smooth running generator. HOPEFULLY.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Re: I think...I've finally fixed my generator issue
Reply #1
Not sure the 'knock-off' was your culprit - insufficient run-time and lack of a fuel stabilizer more likely. Now that its purrrrring, use Stabil or similar on a regular basis, at least before storage. Had issues with ours previously, and put it through several intense cleaning cycles with Sea-Foam. This creates stinky clouds of smoke, so avoid that step at all costs. It works well, though.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit