Skip to main content
Topic: Tail lights added to bike rack (Read 150 times) previous topic - next topic
Tail lights added to bike rack

In the Around the Campfire topic Ebike protection in the rain, Sue and I described a cover and net solution that we adopted and used on a trip in the fall of 2021 (Reply 14: Ebike protection in the rain). 

In the two posts that immediately followed ours, Larry and Joan expressed concerns that the solution introduces a real danger to ourselves and the vehicles around as a result of the reduced visibility of the LD tail lights.  Of course, their observations are spot-on. 

Before using the setup again, we added the following tail lights to our Kuat bike rack.  It is a custom solution.  (BTW, Kuat now offers the “Piston Pro X 2” with integrated tail lights.  Amazon price: $1,389!)

The tail light unit is an ONLINE LED STORE 16″ trailer ID bar (Amazon.com: 16" 12 Red LED Trailer Light Bar [Brake + Sequential Turn...)

It’s mounted on a piece of 1” aluminum tubing,
which is mounted on a bracket we made from a piece of 1/8” aluminum plate,
which is attached to the bike rack with two 3/8" stainless steel bolts/washers/nuts. 

Jim

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra

Re: Tail lights added to bike rack
Reply #1
Nice but is it California legal?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Good question, Greg. 

I never even looked into it.  I was only concerned with safety.  And about that, I should add that I'm not entirely satisfied with the solution, but I think the solution does enough. 

I created the post, in part, to get feedback from the group.

Again, I appreciate the question.
Jim & Sue

Reply #3
Hi Greg;  It is DOT certified under FMVSS-108 standards.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
"Nice but is it California legal?"

Affirmative!

Back when the LED stop/turn lights first became popular I stood in line at a Caravan Club GTG for the new conversion. When the dust cleared I was surprised to see that a horizontal reflective strip had been added, with the explanation that it was required by Calif. law.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Nice job Jim.  I seriously doubt any CHP officer would even question the legality of the lights.

Last Monday I saw a Class-A barreling down I-80 with rear-mounted bicycles completely blocking the rigs taillights.  You couldn’t see either the brake or turn signal lights.  I thought to myself, there goes an accident just waiting to happen.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #6
Which Kuat rack?   Is it RV rated?
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #7
Hi, Dave!

Ok, another good question.  This should clue you in, my first thought was “RV rated?”  For others who are clueless on this concept, here is an etrailer webpage that elaborates.  https://www.etrailer.com/faq-what-is-an-rv-bike-rack.aspx.  The upshot is (excerpted from the webpage):

“There's no global RV cycling empire out there handing out stamps of approval to those bike racks they deem worthy. In fact, it pretty much comes down to the manufacturers' say-so. The main differences between RV-approved racks and non-RV-approved racks are:
1)   They’re built tough
2)   They’re tested by the manufacturer
3)   They’re warrantied for RV use

To answer your questions, we have a Kuat NV 2.0 Base purchased 4 years ago. (NV Base 2.0 Hitch Rack - Küat Racks | Bike Racks).  The feature list on the current page specifically states NOT RV compatible.  Here’s a link to an etrailer page on why the NV 2.0 Base is not RV rated: https://www.etrailer.com/question-452214.html.

Am I concerned about using the NV 2.0 Base behind our 27’ midbath?  No.  Perhaps I should be, but even with Kuat specifically stating that it’s not RV rated, I see no reason to think it’s less able than other products by other manufacturers that are recommended for RVs.  In any case, I’ve got the rack, it’s very robust, I’ll take the risk.

Note that I couldn't find a detailed warranty statement on the Kuat website.  (I didn’t try that hard. I should check the paperwork that came in the box.)  Here’s a link to their warranty claim page: Warranty Claim - Küat Racks.  I may be naïve, but I think they will honor a future claim should I have one.  Of course, a catastrophic failure of the rack would be awful for reasons that have nothing to do with the warranty.

BTW, Kuat offers two racks that they recommend for use with an RV.  The Piston Pro, mentioned in my initial post, and the Transfer v2.

Finally, here’s a link to etrailer’s recommended RV rated bike racks: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-Motorhome-RV-Bike-Racks.aspx 

Jim

P.S.  FWIW, a DuckDuckGo search for "kuat" and "failure" didn't turn up anything.
Jim & Sue