Skip to main content
Topic: Three Television Questions (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic
Three Television Questions
We recently acquired our 2005 LD RB and we need to get a new TV.  One of the previous owners said of the TV that's in there "It has the worst picture of any flat screen I've every seen" and I agree.

1) The first question we have is can we use a 120V AC TV from Costco or Amazon with a 150W inverter and have it work off the 12V system?

2) Are there concerns about using a standard household TV in the caravan?  Do you NEED to use a TV designed for an RV?

3) Do we need to update/upgrade the antenna?  Do we need a special antenna for digital signals? (we don't want a satalite service for TV.  If we can't get it free through the air, we'll watch it online)

Thanks,
Peter & Heather

Re: Three Television Questions
Reply #1
1) Yes you can operate any TV that draws less than 150 Watts from that inverter.  While it's always best to use a sine wave inverter, most TV's operate just fine on the square wave type.  On the other hand, some TV's use an external power adapter that provides 12 V DC to the TV.  If you find one of those, you can run it directly from your battery and bypass the adapter and the inverter.

2) Lots of folks run normal home TV's in the RV.  Some say the vibration will ruin it, but most do just fine.

3) No, you do not need a special antenna for digital signals.  RV antennas are not the best, but everything is a compromise.  Most TV signals are in the UHF spectrum these days, so if you decide to change it out, just be sure it is designed for UHF.

Rich
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #2

I just replaced the TV in our 09 which we bought a few weeks ago. I used a 32" ROKU. The four TV mounting bolts on the original TV were placed differently than on the ROKU so I had to lower the mounting bracket 4 1/2". That puts the TV 5" from the ceiling. It's a nice fit. I picked up this 300W pure sine wave inverter (inverter) for the TV and whatever. It is quiet.
jor

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #3
Several years ago when I replaced the TV in our 99 MB, I spent some time at Best Buy looking at the back of smallish TVs. I remember seeing several that were actually 12 volts but came with an adapter for 120 household current. I  put the 120 adapter aside and added a 12 volt cigarette plug to the TV and plugged it into the existing 12 volt outlet. It worked fine.
George & Jo Ann
2017 MB

Reply #4
Having a mid bath a smaller TV seemed to work best.  Nice thing with a smaller TV is that some have a built in DVD player.   One less box to worry about getting power to.  I still think it’s 19” range.   Not sure they are still putting in DVDs with all the movie streaming now available. 

2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)