Skip to main content
Topic: Generator - Power Output (Read 225 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator - Power Output
Has anyone had their power output work on some generator startups and not on others?  It's infrequent, but periodically I will start up the generator and the 120V system stays dead.  But if I shut it down and restart it later (can be a few minutes or an hour - time length doesn't seem to matter), everything works fine.  It's not a breaker problem.  The first time, I assumed it was and turned off all breakers, including on the generator itself, and reset them. That did nothing.  Now, I just shut down the generator, come back later, start it up and it works fine.
Greg
2006 26.5' MB

Re: Generator - Power Output
Reply #1
Hello Greg,
It sounds like your transfer switch may be going bad you will have to locate it and check the conections.
                                              Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #2
Either the transfer switch or loose 120 VAC connections could be causing the symptoms you describe. Pull the power center (under the counter extension, to the left of the sink) and have a look at the screw connections; tighten if necessary. This article in the Lazy Daze Companion explains what to do. Be sure to remove all AC power sources before you do this!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
HI GregH; I assume you are letting the time delay, about 30 seconds, go by before you shut it down.  Could be the delay is erratic, or the transfer relay isn't quite operating correctly.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
I'll look at the transfer switch.  I assumed that was the issue.  But thought I'd ask if anyone had any other ideas (like kick the tire and it all works :)  ).
Greg
2006 26.5' MB

Reply #5
Hi Greg; I was thinking about this problem. How many hours do you have on the generator. A standard Onan MicroQuiet 4kw.  Could be a slip ring issue. Are there any abnormal power 'glitches' when it is providing power? Speed issues?   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Ron, It has 1505 hrs and virtually all of that is from previous owners.  We bought the '06 in Sept 2020.  Almost the whole generator use since then has been cranking it up once a month (idle for 5 minutes, run it with the AC on as a load for 2 hrs, idle for 5 minutes, shut it down).  I also have an Alaskan camper and bought a 170W suitcase solar panel for it.  I hook the panel to the LD battery and it handles the recharge when camping.  If my wife is with me, we use the generator to make coffee and run a hair dryer in the morning.   I think we've used the generator a couple of days to run the AC in the afternoon.  So really, it only gets used monthly to keep it in good shape.

It is the standard Microquiet 4kW generator and no glitches when running.  It either works perfectly after the less than a minute warm up or it doesn't generate any power at all.
Greg
2006 26.5' MB

Reply #7

When I had problems with my transfer switch in the past, something that I found very helpful was a non-contact AC voltage sensor. This inexpensive little probe lights up and beeps when it detects AC in a wire that's right next to its plastic tip. There's no need to find exposed, live terminals and hold multimeter probes against them, being oh so careful not to slip and short them together.

In my case, I started at the power source and just slid the probe along the wire, verifying that it was live. At the transfer switch's terminals I was able to tell which ones were live, without making electrical contact. It was easy to see where the flow of power stopped... and there was my culprit.

It's a quick and easy (and safe!) way to diagnose AC electrical problems. I recommend it highly.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Andy,  I’ve got one and will give it a try.

All, I pulled the whole unit out of the cabinet so I could get to everything. Started up the generator and “unfortunately” it all worked perfect.  Typical electrical issue. No matter how much I wiggled the wires, it never broke the connection. I shut it down and made sure every connection into the transfer switch and then all breaker connections were snug. Nothing had any play. So I’ll just have to wait until it goes out again and track the power then.
Greg
2006 26.5' MB