Skip to main content
Topic: Death Valley Death (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Death Valley Death
Reply #1
Being a tourist in a foreign country, I have often been to places that were not the best time to be there.
But when you will probably never be back, you go and do things.
Being prepared makes all the difference.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #2
"officials noted that Kelleher was cited for off-road driving on May 30 and had mentioned he was low on gas when a park ranger contacted him."

Evidently a scofflaw, and seemingly not too bright.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
I have passed through DV many times, and at various times of the year.  It is one of my favorite passages, but is challenging due to weather and to the winding mountain passes and long, brake-frying descents.  Between end of May thru end of September, the drive is best done at late night or very early, pre-sunrise morning.  Avoid the area in July and August unless absolutely prepped and mapped up.  Also, those serpentine, steep mountain passes are no joke (The Panamint Mountains in particular).  I ALWAYS unhook if we are towing the toad westbound between Stovepipe Wells and Highway 395.
2017 RB

Reply #5
His biggest mistake (besides making sure he had a full tank of fuel before traveling in DV) was leaving his vehicle (and, perhaps, not having water with him).  He was in a parking lot of a popular viewpoint.  If he had stayed with his vehicle, someone would have been along sooner or later.
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Nature always wins in the long run.......

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #7
Been to DV twice... once during a windstorm in a tent trailer with family. Not so nice!

Second time over New Years holiday with the Caravan Club. Nice weather, difficult Internet.

Same place, different times!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
"officials noted that Kelleher was cited for off-road driving on May 30 and had mentioned he was low on gas when a park ranger contacted him."

Evidently a scofflaw, and seemingly not too bright.
Another post listed him as a 67 yo former marine captain - something doesn't add up.
Sad, but his background would seem to indicate he'd have had better sense.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #9
Hi Joel;  At 67 years some mental or other medical issues can be 'creeping' into the shadows. Add some dehydration and overheating up to approaching heatstroke, and clear thinking can fade away.  We'll never know.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB