Skip to main content
Topic: Where to Install a Cateye alarm for a E450 catalytic converter (Read 181 times) previous topic - next topic
Where to Install a Cateye alarm for a E450 catalytic converter
 Has anyone installed a Cateye alarm on an E350/E450 cut-away? I'd sure like to hear how you did it.

I've installed a Catstrap on my 2005 E450 Class C; now I'm trying install the Cateye alarm. The instructions on the Catstrap site don't show specifially how to do it, and talking to Tom on the support line didn't help. There isn't enough room on the firewall (the suggested location), and the sensor cable is too short to reach a good location ahead of the catalytic converter from almost any position under the hood.

2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Where to Install a Cateye alarm for a E450 catalytic converter
Reply #1
Eric,

My Cateye  is mounted just below the firewall with a clear view of the converter. I didn’t do the installation. My mechanic did. He said it was very tight and mentioned the short wires.

The alarm horn is mounted in the engine bay centered above the engine and mounted facing downward. It is just to the right of the Transmission Dip Stick.

Since the actual “eyes” wire is so short, my mechanic placed it in the only spot below that would work. And it does. I’ve tested it several times by moving my hand in its view and it gets pretty loud.

Wish I had pics of the eyes mounted position but I really can’t see it too well from underneath the rig but it does see me. Here are pics of where the alarm is mounted.

Best of luck in mounting the eye. The way I see it is if you can’t see it neither can a thief and that’s a good thing.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Thanks for the report. I think I will put it in the propane compartment, which is on the right side,  a couple feet ahead of and on the right side of the converter. The sensor reaches a good mounting location easily, but the battery wires will need to be extended. I'm still considering extending the sensor wires and using your location. I'm surprised the company isn't more aware of the Class C layout, and supply longer cables and more specific instructions.

I did paint the converter and attached pipes a Very High Heat resistant red/orange, hoping it will make a potential more wary and likely to move on. I don't know if the recyclers will care about buying an orange converter, but it should make it easier for the cops to find stolen ones that are painted, and compare the pictures I have to the paint pattern.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #3
I engraved the VIN on my cat.  Might make it easier to recover, who knows?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264