Skip to main content
Topic: Garmin In Reach review (Read 88 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Garmin In Reach review
Reply #1
Thanks Joan for the review link.  I have one that is clipped to my belt loop and I kind of forget it’s there.  Hopefully I’ll never have to use the SOS feature but it’s nice to know it’s there if needed.  What I use it for is letting my daughter know where I am and that I’m ok.  Garmin allows for 3 preset messages that don’t count against your message limit.  I have one saying I’m leaving the campsite, one that says I’ve arrived at a new campsite and one just letting her know I’m ok.  I’ll send her the first or second message while I’m breaking or setting up camp.  The third is only used if there is no cell service and we haven’t spoken for a few days.

My son has a 200+ mile trail bike ride coming up.  Lots of time there will be no cell service.  So for his birthday, my daughter and I bought him a Garmin Mini 2 to take with him.  Besides letting his wife know where he is, the SOS button gives us a better feeling of security that help would come if something went wrong.

IMO, we’ll worth the $399 price tag.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Re: Garmin In Reach review
Reply #2
Used ours last summer for a 6 week backpacking trip. Worked great and good piece of mind. The mapping feature was wuite helpful in instances when our other maps were not as clear.
Pete
1994 RB