Skip to main content
Topic: Locking Fuel Tank Cap for 2001 Mid-Bath (Read 237 times) previous topic - next topic
Locking Fuel Tank Cap for 2001 Mid-Bath
I need a new fuel tank cap for my 2001 Mid-Bath. I would like a lockable one again. Can anyone recommend me a suitable product from Walmart, O'Reilly or Amazon? Thanks in advance.
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Re: Locking Fuel Tank Cap for 2001 Mid-Bath
Reply #2
Mine's an 05, but when I needed to replace my cap the auto parts retailer (can't which one... Advance Auto Parts, maybe?) had a book at the register that enabled them to direct me to the correct cap for the E450. In that case I had left my locking cap while fueling -- so was only buying a standard cap -- but you remind me that at $4-5/gallon maybe it IS time to replace the LOCKING cap.
Marcia Boynton
2005 26.5 RK
Adrian and Northport, MI

Reply #3
After the “Gas Tapper” thread a few weeks ago,  locking gas cap seems irrelevant, it’s too hard to push a small rube down the filler neck to syphon fuel.
Thieves solve this problem by punching a hose in the bottom of the gas tank and letting the fuel drain out.
Gas Tapper

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Thanks for the replies. I got for now a non-locking cap from O'Reilly. I know about the discussion regarding locking or non-locking caps and find it somewhat disturbing. I think I prefer nevertheless a locking cap and will get one as soon as possible.

PS: I don't find the discussion here troubling, but the fact that our vehicles could be seriously damaged by gasoline thieves (not drivable if someone pokes a hole in the gas tank).
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
Hi All

I have a 2007, 31 foot LD.   As soon as I took ownership in 2007 I went to  NAPA and got a locking gas cap.  Works well all

these years,   All 3 of my vehicles have lockers, no regrets

Bob
2007 31 IB

Reply #6
Thanks for the replies. I got for now a non-locking cap from O'Reilly. I know about the discussion regarding locking or non-locking caps and find it somewhat disturbing. I think I prefer nevertheless a locking cap and will get one as soon as possible.

I wonder about the effectiveness of inexpensive locking caps, theives can either punch the lock cylinder out using a slide hammer or the cap can be torn off with a large pair of channel-lock pliers, as I have done on gas caps with a lock that is broken or missing its key.
Once the cap is off, siphoning is still going to be very slow or impossible due to the anti-siphoning device in the filler tube.

This is similar to the Factory locks on our LD's exterior storage bins, it's a slight deterrent, changing to rounds keys adds a little more security but doesn't change the fact that any of the bins can be forced open with a screwdriver.
Someone who wants your stuff is not afraid of causing a little damage.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
I do not have a locking gas cap but I did replace the exterior compartments bins with the round barrel locks. Apparently, the CH751 locks are pretty common. I was surprised that our new whole house generator uses them as well!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8

Hi Klaus;  If you are parked in a quiet sort of empty place and the gas thief doesn't have to hurry, caps can be removed, holes drilled or whatever.  But the visible deterrent of a locking gas cap may induce a thief to go somewhere else, maybe the motorhome parked next to you.  In addition it protects you from 'younger' vandals that just want to put a foreign substance in your tank, etc.  My first non LD motorhome didn't have any cover on the water fill.  Just a half funnel that pulled out.  I took that out and put a locked flap and screw on cover like LD has now. And a cylindrical lock not a CH751.    Similar to this:  Amazon.com: JR Products 37525 Polar White Slide-Out Gravity Water Fill :...       RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB