Skip to main content
Topic: Leveler Trouble (Read 281 times) previous topic - next topic
Leveler Trouble
We are purchasing a 2005 LD RB - We are Complete Newbies. We know we have some maintenance/fix it work to do to get her in tip top shape- price is worth it, however, The mechanic said he is having some “issues” with the levelers - I know this is broad but can someone speak to how extensive “issues” could be?  The deal is that all major systems will work - maybe not perfectly-but working. Thoughts?
Peter & Heather

Re: Leveler Trouble
Reply #1
You need to get a detailed description of the "issues" from that mechanic before you (or we) can assess how serious they are.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Hi Vermont;  If they were original levelers in 2005, they were probably Kwikee. Good levelers (sold but not installed by Lazy Daze). Kwikee doesn't support the old levelers, That part of the company (Kwikee) has gone out of business, and parts are mostly unavailable. If they can be fixed, that's good. At worst they can be removed easily. New ones from a different manufacturer, (HWH, Lippert, Big Foot, etc) can be installed but at new cost.  Depending on what is wrong with the ones on this RB, the old ones may be worth some money to someone else looking for parts.
    As Andy said, we might be able to help you evaluate the situation if we knew more about the brand and problems.  And many people don't have levelers, and don't care for the penalty of extra weight and reliability.  A luxury, but not a necessity.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
"If they were original levelers in 2005, they were probably Kwikee."

Food for thought!

If the levelers are Kwikee and will not deploy you can reset the memory by disconnecting the cable on the back side of the control panel for a few seconds before reconnecting it again. If you are lucky, everything will return to normal. Another thing --- I was provided a jumper cable to use as a last resort if I was faced with a ram that would not retract, good luck on that account!

If it is the motor that's at fault I believe they are still available at eTrailer.com
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
My advice, with the information given so far, is to consider the levelers as not-working as go from there.

If you can't get them to work, nothing lost.  See this thread on removal:
Removing HWH 625 hydraulic leveling system...

If you can get them working, it's a small bonus.

Without the brand and some details on what's wrong, none of us can offer much help.  It could range from the levelers need a small adjustment to something is broken and parts aren't available so you're out of luck, or anything in between. 

I will say that regular exercise (use) is good for many systems on the rig, including levelers.  Sitting for long periods of time can cause issues.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #5
You people are Awesome!! Thank you for your thoughts. So some people don’t use levelers when they park!? Interesting! 😊
Peter & Heather

Reply #6

"So some people don’t use levelers when they park!?"

I would guess that the majority of LD owners don't have levelers. It's not hard to get level using Lynx blocks--available at most Walmarts or RV stores.

Some folks make their own leveling ramps from 1x10 lumber. Or you can buy leveling ramps--but make sure they're wide enough to support the full width of the tires; many are not. Add a couple of stick-on bubble levels, one on the dash for right/left leveling and one on the driver's door for front/back, and you can see your level as you maneuver around a campsite.

If you want to make leveling really easy, get a LevelMatePRO system. It tells you exactly how many inches of leveling blocks you need to get perfectly level.

If I were buying a rig with levelers that had "issues," I'd have them taken off. As Ron pointed out, while they're convenient, levelers reduce your rig's payload and add potential problems. Consider this: suppose you have levelers down... and when you want to leave, you find that they won't retract. You aren't going anywhere. As mentioned recently in another thread, the manager of one of the US's largest road service providers recently said that slideouts and levelers are the number one sources of RV problems.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird

Reply #7
From another perspective
Hydraulic levelers provide one benefit beyond what blocks under the tires provide - they reduce motion due to people moving around, or wind blowing. You may not care about this, of course!
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #8
"Hydraulic levelers... reduce motion due to people moving around, or wind blowing."

Good point, Keith. That is an added advantage of levelers. Interestingly, trailers have "jacks," which look kinda like levelers and perform that anti-rocking function you mentioned... but ironically, trailer owners are specifically warned NOT to use them as levelers, because they aren't beefy enough to support a rig--just enough to stabilize it.

Me, I never use my trailer jacks--too easy to forget and try to drive away with them down, and a little rocking doesn't bother me. But I know that with some couples it's different, because aside from wind, the trailer can rock when the other person moves around while you're sitting still. I, of course, don't notice rocking when I'm doing the walking. ;-)
Andy Baird

Reply #9
I think about adding my two cents' worth and keep putting it off.  My LD came with HWH levelers and they are great.  I don't usually use them, but when needed they are terrific.  I did find that a spring was broken on one side of one of them, but replacing it wasn't bad and the new springs came with a pair, so they did both sides.  The nice thing with HWH, as I probably mentioned before, is that you can drive off them if necessary, unlike other brands. No, I never needed to do it, but could!   Since I'm getting older and less flexible, I'm glad they are so easy to use with the joystick controller when desired.  It takes less than a minute for me, while I watch other RVers fiddling around for ages getting set up.  I do carry Lynx blocks, but the only time I've used them was to put under the jacks when camping on sand or soft ground.  Of course YMMV, but I'm a happy camper.
1997 MB

Reply #10
Thanks everyone! We so appreciate all the thoughts & suggestions. We’ll update here when we know more! Going to close the deal tomorrow.
Peter & Heather