Skip to main content
Topic: Spark Plug Helicoils (Read 146 times) previous topic - next topic
Spark Plug Helicoils
We're checking out an 01 RB 26.5 footer in a couple of hours. Looks pretty good. I don't know if it has had the helicoils installed. I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of the cost of that work at a dealer or maybe an independent. I'd like to figure that into my offer. Thanks.
jor (sold the class A, on the hunt for a LD!)
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Spark Plug Helicoils
Reply #2
We're checking out an 01 RB 26.5 footer in a couple of hours. Looks pretty good. I don't know if it has had the helicoils installed. I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of the cost of that work at a dealer or maybe an independent. I'd like to figure that into my offer. Thanks.
jor (sold the class A, on the hunt for a LD!)

Helicoils are not used when upgrading the sparkplug threads, instead, the OEM threads are bored out and the holes threaded.
The job is finished by screwing in a threaded insert, secured with red Loctite.
The last time I checked, replacing all ten sparkplug threads was a little over $2000. A new engine could cost $10,000, to install.

An advanced home mechanic can do the job themselves with this kit. A good compressed air supply, along with a 3/8"
pro-grade air ratchet is needed.
Amazon.com: CalVan Tools 38900 Two Valve Ford Triton Tool Kit - Foolproof...
The kit needs two additional inserts to repair all ten threaded holes.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Spark Plug Helicoils
Reply #3
Thanks Larry and Greg. Glad to have the correct information. I called a local Ford dealer but they never got back to me. I checked out blownoutsparkplug.com and the referenced tool. I need to do more research on this issue. Thanks again for your quick replies.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester