Skip to main content
Topic: Why you may want to reconsider your Roadside Assistance (Read 625 times) previous topic - next topic
Why you may want to reconsider your Roadside Assistance
 Interesting podcast featuring Ed Thor of SafeRide RV Motor Club, who's wife and brother-in-law were the founders of Coachnet (since sold).  Interview starts at about the 3 minute mark:

https://www.rvtravel.com/stresslesspodcast-1051/
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Why you may want to reconsider your Roadside Assistance
Reply #1
That's an interesting interview with a man who manages roadside assistance for a number of clubs and manufacturers. The emphasis was on FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association), because the interviewers promote FMCA membership, so take it with a grain of salt. It was not clear to me why the FMCA "Roadside Rescue" program would be better than our old standby, Coach-Net. The features mentioned seemed to be the same, the prices were comparable (see replies below for correction), and when directly asked to compare the two, the fellow evaded the question. Hmmm.

He had a few comments about AAA's RV coverage: they are allegedly considering dropping RV coverage nationwide (which wouldn't be much of a loss, considering how poorly they do it)... and in any case, the fine print on their contract says that they don't have to change an inside dual tire, which of course is the tire most likely to fail.

Another comment that should interest Lazy Daze owners (and remember, this is coming from a man who manages roadside assistance for tens of thousands of incidents per year): “Jacks and slides… that’s the single biggest problem we have in the industry today.” And... “People don’t believe me that slides can come all the way out and end up in people’s front yards.” He went on to point out that if your jacks or slides won't deploy, that's not an emergency covered under their program. But if they won't retract--meaning you can't go anywhere--that is an emergency, and apparently a major cause of service calls. I'm glad that like my Lazy Dazes, my Airstream has no slides!

Side note: Reading old discussion threads at FMCA's website, I was surprised to learn that after more than fifty years of limiting membership to motorhomes, five years ago FMCA opened its membership to trailers as well. The reason was stated pretty clearly at the time: more members equal more money. But it was put more specifically than that by FMCA management. You see, FMCA used to offer a roadside assistance program as a membership benefit. The pitch made at the time boiled down to "If we don't increase our membership by allowing trailer owners to join, we won't be able to continue to offer this benefit at no extra cost." Funny thing... fast forward five years, and FMCA "Roadside Rescue" now costs $159 a year for motorhome owners and $129 a year for trailer owners--that's on top of their regular membership fees.

They asked members to vote on this proposal, but only allowed voting at FMCA rallies, so only a small fraction (13%) of the members actually got to vote. The proposal passed, but many members were quite angry about it, and a number actually quit the club. Sheesh! Typical comment at the time: "Spoke to two members last weekend... One told me I was an idiot if I continued to stay a member if towable's [sic] were allowed to join. The subject angered him." Another said that excluding towables was "about integrity and pride in owning a home on wheels that can cost 500,000 dollars and the hard work that goes into them and a way of life." Are we just a little elitist here? Is it the mystique of the personally numbered black cast-metal plaque?

Funny thing--I had always had the impression that FMCA looked down upon RVers with trailers. Seems I was right, at least for some members. It's hard for me to understand why it would be a big deal to these people whether you RV in a motorhome or a trailer. Did an FMCA member with a VW Westphalia van look down his nose at an RVer towing a 30' Airstream with an F-350 pickup, and think, "Huh! Trailer trash"? Seems goofy to me. This is not an organization I'm inclined to join.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Andy, thanks for your input!  Putting all the FMCA drama aside and looking strictly at the plans, the comparable FMCA plan is still $40 per year less expensive than Coach-Net, even after the $50 FMCA membership fee.  And there are other benefits through FMCA that you don't get with Coach-Net.  So why would one choose Coach-Net over FMCA?  The reason I'm asking is because I currently have AAA and want to upgrade from them.

FMCA Family Member Benefits | FMCA

RV Roadside Assistance - RV Service | FMCA

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Greg, I'm glad you brought up pricing. When I said off the top of my head that FMCA's and Coach-Net's prices were comparable, I was way off. Looking up Coach-Net's pricing, I see that it's $249 for motorhomes. FMCA's roadside Rescue program for motorhomes costs $159 + $50 annual membership fee, for a total of $209. You're right--that's a big difference.

I think I was mislead because I remembered paying $179 when I renewed my Coach-Net membership last December. FMCA charges $129 + $50 for towables, so for trailer owners, the costs are the same--but Coach-Net really socks it to motorhome owners! So if the benefits are comparable (I haven't looked at them item by item), FMCA may well be a better deal. I still have reservations about the group's management, but maybe that's just me.
Andy Baird

Reply #4
I'm confused... I just renewed my Premier Coach-Net membership on March 20, for 2022-2023 at the usual $169/year rate (less $10 early bird discount, so $159).  I just looked up my member renewal for next year and it still shows the same rate (or $489 for 3 years).  The Premier policy includes all my vehicles, cars and 4WD truck, plus the motorhome, an old Airstream trailer, and also a storage trailer. I've been a member with them for 10 years and although the rate was lower in the beginning, it's still the best available.  I've used them many times over the years on various issues with different rigs and had no problem.

So what has changed in the past month?  Is it higher now for new members?  I did see $249 on the home page, so something must be different.  Maybe it's worth a phone call to check.
Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #5
For at least a few years, the CoachNet renewal price has been substantially less than the new membership price. 

Their business seemed to change a few years ago when vanlife and living off grid and other similar trends took off.  I think they ended up with a portion of their membership who were very heavy users and forced CoachNet to make changes.

We have been at campgrounds where, according to the camp hosts, non-running RVs would be towed into the campground for the max allowed stay, and then towed out to the street just outside the gate for the minimum time out, and then towed back in for another stay.  These are people who are living in their vehicles, often trying to work locally, and the campgrounds have had to adjust their policies and rules (like no one may arrive via tow - you have to drive the rig in so presumably you can drive out) in response.

I think there are a lot of social and economic reasons for this, but when local housing gets prohibitively expensive and unavailable, people get creative. 

Anyway, I think the first year price is substantially higher than that renewal price, and both have increased a lot over the years.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #6
SafeRide provides the roadside RV service for FMCA and Escapees; if one is a member of Escapees (or joins) and feels that Coach Net is not a viable choice for shatever reasons, maybe compare benefits and all costs of the Escapees and  FMCA plans? 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
SafeRide provides the roadside RV service for FMCA and Escapees; if one is a member of Escapees (or joins) and feels that Coach Net is not a viable choice for shatever reasons, maybe compare benefits and all costs of the Escapees and  FMCA plans? 

Thanks for pointing that out, Joan.  Since I'm already an Escapees member, that throws another option into the mix!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
Here is the Escapees info:  Escapees Roadside Assistance · Escapees RV Club
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
What I can't find on the Escapees info page is if this covers all vehicles I own or only my RV. Anyone know?
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #10
You might want to call the roadside service number listed and ask your coverage questions.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
What I can't find on the Escapees info page is if this covers all vehicles I own or only my RV. Anyone know?

I believe it does based on this statement on the link I provided but I have a call in to them to clarify:

We cover a wider variety of vehicles, including RVs, heavy-duty trucks*, medium-duty trucks, motorcycles, automobiles, and extend coverage to vehicles owned by household members and dependents of the primary policyholder.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
Thanks Greg!
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #13
What I can't find on the Escapees page is 1) how much it costs, other than "as little as $109/year", and 2) how to sign up. Since I'm already an Escapees member, I'd rather go this route than FMCA. But I wish they'd provide the information needed to actually sign up for the service!
Andy Baird

Reply #14
Sort of on topic, but I have GoodSam “Platinum Complete,” for which I signed up in a bit of a rush as we needed “something” to cover us on the maiden voyage of our 20-year old RB from CA to FL.

Does anyone recommend cancelling that (I’d get a nearly full refund, only 3 months in on a 36-month plan) and get CoachNet or FMCA instead?

Not really concerned with price differences as much as real world service differences…

Thank you!
Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #15
What I can't find on the Escapees page is 1) how much it costs, other than "as little as $109/year", and 2) how to sign up. Since I'm already an Escapees member, I'd rather go this route than FMCA. But I wish they'd provide the information needed to actually sign up for the service!

Andy, when I logged in to my account and pretended that I wanted to apply, it took me to this page.  Looks like it’s $109 annually (see bottom of page). Click on “Apply Now” on it takes you to the application page.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
Jason,

Our Coach-Net coverage has served us well for both our LD and our car. Our original LD insurance company provided our Coach-Net Roadside Service at no charge.

When the insurance company ceased RV coverage, we lost the roadside service. Our current RV insurance company is AAA so I purchased their roadside service which I never used.

I signed up for Coach-Net within six months after reading of AAA’s lackluster service. I prefer Coach-Net for many reasons so switching back is a win-win for us.

Just sayin’

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #17
Thanks Kent!

Jason
Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #18
This discussion comes up every couple years, and a quick search can find much interesting information. It's worth it to do some research. Here's one link, and although things do change, the answers are basically still the same.

RV Insurance "Replacement Cost" Value When Going Full-Time

Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #19
"Andy, when I logged in to my account and pretended that I wanted to apply, it took me to this page."

Ah, maybe I wasn't logged in. That would explain it. Thanks, Greg!
Andy Baird

Reply #20
I think we might try out the Roadside Assistance from Escapees since already a member, rather than joining FMCA. The coverage between the two organizations looks to be identical but I still need to verify that all vehicles will be covered through Escapees.

The only time being towed in the RV was last year, and that was using the initial (5-year) Ford roadside coverage which will expire next month.  We'll probably keep the basic AAA membership since we've been members for over 30 years.  Some habits are hard to break!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
After delving a little more into the Escapees website: 

Premium, Unlimited Roadside Services and Benefits:

Unlimited roadside assistance including:
24/7 ASE certified technical assistance
Features 24/7 technical assistance from RVIA/RVDA and ASE Certified Technicians who speak with you directly to troubleshoot operational issues. Should you need emergency roadside assistance, our vast network of service providers offers a wide range of services to handle your unique RV.
Mobile mechanic dispatch
When remote troubleshooting isn’t enough, you can request a mobile mechanic to help get your rig back on the road. As a member, you are responsible for all charges related to on-site repairs, including, but not limited to, parts and labor costs
Battery jump-starts
We’ll have you powered up and back on the road in no time!
Towing to nearst qualified repair center
Let us help you get your disabled rig to the nearest repair facility suited to your needs.
Mobile tire assistance
If a spare tire is not available, we will dispatch a mobile tire service who will mount a like tire. Towing to the nearest qualified repair facility will be provided if a mobile tire service is not available.
Winching assistance.
Need help getting your rig out of a tough spot and to the shop? Simple winch out or extraction services required to tow your disabled rig are covered up to 100 feet off of a maintained road or in a commercial campground equipped for camping vehicles.
Coverage for all dependents and vehicles
Primary vehicles of the policy holder and immediate family members are all covered under one policy!

Emergency fuel and fluid delivery
Locksmith and lockout service
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #22
We just renewed our long-time Coach Net “basic” policy (rig only, towing, no frills) for $99 a year. We don’t tow, so the rig-only policy made sense for us. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #23
We just renewed our long-time Coach Net “basic” policy (rig only, towing, no frills) for $99 a year. We don’t tow, so the rig-only policy made sense for us. — Jon

We have used Coach-Net, instead of the AAA, three times over the last 20 years for towing our cars.
The LD has come close but has never left us stranded, needing a tow.  For us, the Premium policy is worth it.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #24

Called the Escapees 877 number and they confirmed that any vehicle you are driving is covered, even rentals. Just register your primary vehicle (RV) when you sign up. No cost difference for a motorhome or a trailer.

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264