Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 chassis back tire pressure (Read 345 times) previous topic - next topic
2021 chassis back tire pressure
Hi,
I am little reluctant to change factory settings for putting air in back tires and reason being loosing built in tpms functionality. I looked inside back chrome tire covers through holes and both inside and outside tire stems (hope I am using right terminology) are 180 degree apart and are in the center of holes in the tire cover. I am attempting to attach pictures …. I read discussions on this topic here and either I am not seeing things correctly or new chassis made inside tire inflation easy. Tool which came with Viair compressor can do the job.

In the worst case scenario I can take chrome cover off and I do remember Kent share tire scoop tool to take chrome cover off and I saw similar tool in Amazon and getting it just in case. Looking at chrome cover it does not look easy to take out (as for putting back, I am sure it will live rest of it’s life in one of the storage).

After seeing the pictures do you agree that 2021 chassis is easier in terms of inflating back inside tire?

Thanks

Re: 2021 chassis back tire pressure
Reply #1

I attaching chrome cover and I think it is just one piece and can be taken out from side. I am searching and will continue to search YouTube on seeing how it is taken out.

This is the tool I think may help me take out the chrome wheel cover if hope I never have to use it though .... Amazon.com: Ken-Tool 31568 Whl Cover PLR and Replacer, 14 in, 7/16 in ,...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #2

Hi Muhammad;  That picture #4 has an 'Alligator' screwed onto the tire stem is crooked. I suspect it isn't screwed on correctly (cross-threaded).  The V2B is used to protect the threads on the valve stem and to make it easier to fill and check tire pressure quickly.
    Having installed a TST after market TPMS means I don't have to go around and measure them as often.   I do a walk around before leaving in the morning to check for rocks, tire damage, my flexible filler hoses, and that my rear tire cover flaps are tight.  (and so on).
    For snap on wheel simulators a rubber mallet would work.  Amazon Basics Rubber Mallet - Shock-Absorbing Fiberglass Handle, 450g (1lb)...   I prefer the look of the wheel simulators. Without them I wonder who stole them.   RonB

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3

Ron,

I am still not recovered from generator thread issue and now tires as well ! .... I don't know what alligator screwed means but will check it out. I hope it is just the angle of my picture but will research it. I did go for oil change and asked dealer to put 65psi in front and 75 psi in the back. Beside that, there is no screwing with tires yet.

Now to my post, there is lot of discussion here about getting extenders and main reason is to check air pressure and put in the air especially inside tires. As for checking air pressure I do have factory installed TPMS in new chassis and my original question was that it looks pretty straight forward to put in air in the inside tire. After searching YouTube, this guy seem to be doing what I think is pretty straight forward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMXRWyl5QxM.

If it is too good to be true then you scratch your head .... I am wondering what am I missing? Can I simply remove tire cover and inflate inside tires?

Cheers

Regards,

Hi Muhammad;  That picture #4 has an 'Alligator' screwed onto the tire stem is crooked. I suspect it isn't screwed on correctly (cross-threaded).  The V2B is used to protect the threads on the valve stem and to make it easier to fill and check tire pressure quickly.
    Having installed a TST after market TPMS means I don't have to go around and measure them as often.   I do a walk around before leaving in the morning to check for rocks, tire damage, my flexible filler hoses, and that my rear tire cover flaps are tight.  (and so on).
    For snap on wheel simulators a rubber mallet would work.  Amazon Basics Rubber Mallet - Shock-Absorbing Fiberglass Handle, 450g (1lb)...   I prefer the look of the wheel simulators. Without them I wonder who stole them.   RonB

Reply #4

The video shows how to check and add air if your wheels have a Factory TPMS the prevent adding aftermarket extended bent stems.

The wheel shown in the video has Alligator stems instead of valve caps.

Amazon.com: Alligator V2B Dual Seal Tire Valve Cap for Boats, Cars, Trucks,...

You need to weigh your fully loaded LD to determine the tire pressure . The LD owners manual has a tire pressure chart, based on the axle weights.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Ron,

I can use some help .... can you please explain what you saw wrong in fourth picture. I am new to this, can you keep the explanation simple. I did go out again and check all tire stems and usually on the car I see a crewed cap but in this case I see some type of extender. This is factory installed, not sure if this is new for 2021 chassis but this is the main reason I am seeing filling air process simpler.

Mike C., is very experienced and he got 2021 chassis and he end up getting the extender and to get the extender I guess he gave up factory TPMS and got after market TPMS. This tell me that I am missing something here.

Regards,

Reply #6

Got it Larry. We are still in the process of settling and after each trip we are taking out lot of stuff we did not use and putting in new stuff which we think will be used. Not there yet to do fine  tune the pressure but reading here I thought 65 front and 75 back is normal for most of the folks. I think factory pressure was 65 and 75 as well and no complains so far ...

The video shows how to check and add air if your wheels have a Factory TPMS the prevent adding aftermarket extended bent stems.

The wheel shown in the video has Alligator stems instead of valve caps.

Amazon.com: Alligator V2B Dual Seal Tire Valve Cap for Boats, Cars, Trucks,...

You need to weigh your fully loaded LD to determine the tire pressure . The LD owners manual has a tire pressure chart, based on the axle weights.

Larry

Reply #7
Muhammad,

After looking at your “Alligator” tire valve as pictured, I would agree with Ron in that it appears cross threaded and potentially may have caused a small air leak in the tire.

The Alligator valve is a screw on valve that has a small ball (I believe) inside the tip that allows air to flow into the tire but will prevent its escape.

While many of us have installed solid one piece valve stems on the rear tires (inside & outside rear tires), this is most likely not a cost effective option for you. It appears that your TPMS is a Ford mounted system (is this the case?) that is placed inside the rim-replacing them is a crazy added expense. However, it does seem feasible to use a solid steel valve to the existing valve stem that is already in place. Borg can be of help with this. A quick call to them can be helpful in obtaining the correct solid valve stem extension. Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops

The tire tool you pictured for the tire cover removal is too large. A good tire “spoon” should fit in the palm of your hand. A much better tool for this job. The old school Sears tire spoon that I have is under 10 inches long. I paid about $10.00. Check eBay or Amazon but get one that is as short as possible so it will not hit the tire when you apply leverage. They are very useful when absolutely necessary.

For filling the rear tires, it’s best to have the tire stems protruding toward you. Removing the tire cover is a real time consuming task and is best avoided.

Good luck.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #8
Thanks
I will keep an eye on the leak ... I did not notice any leak during previous trips but dealer put in the air after last trip. I am in habit of checking tpms and a leak will not go undetected.

I spent good fraction of last hour messing air in all the tires and then filling them again to the specification. I am finding out that motorhome world is very different from car and help is not easy to find. Now I am able to at least take care of all the tire pressure in the middle of no where in the dark in the middle of rain :-) First time I used Viair for putting 77 psi and though it was getting hot but it did perform flawlessly. I followed the same process as guy in YouTube I shared except for using the screw driver. I just had to use long angled tool in Viaair for all six tires.

Ken,
you are right, that tool is too big screw driver did the trick for me.  it was not economics/money it was where will i get the help to set it up for me .... i am still not sure ford safety recall will be taken care of before I leave on 5/25 (i might end up taking avoidable risk). Spend hours and hours with ford and few dealers. now i understand why Mike C. has lift at his home. I should not be complaining, I am sure everybody is in the same boat. I decided to learn little bit on my own .... and that is the reason you are seeing few questions from me lately. Edit: 1) yes new chassis has built in ford tpms 2) i did call solid extension vendor and they told me that their product will not work with built in tpms.

Larry,
You asked me for specific pressure and after I am done I set on the driver seat and check the tpms. my target was 65 in front and 75psi in the back and wish I can put pressure as exactly as factory did :-) I am with in 5% error margin.

Learning little bit each day ....

Reply #9
Muhammad,
I also have the Viair 400p-RV.  The long angled tire chuck with the red handle is the right thing to air up the tires, but I can't get it to fit at the right angle to make a solid connection without removing the tire covers on the back.  The holes on the cover are smaller than those on the wheel. Front works without removing the covers.

A while back someone on this forum suggested using a brake adjusting tool for prying the covers off.  Something like this https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769041?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Brakes&campaign_id=8659198719&adgroup_id=106304766654&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCOEa7s45fDwpQl9sPstmyy6Tn1py0COD7wPWpmxWCVz50qWHWN7ADRoCcTAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&   I bought one and it is just the right size.  I use a rubber mallet to put the covers back on.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #10
Linda,
Glad there is at least one other member approve of this method.

As for the tool, I just had to take lot of stuff out of my tool box. Tool box was getting too heavy to be practical and I was avoiding using any tools because of difficulty moving the tool box. Now it is lighter but may be little hungry, if need be I will not mind buying essential tool while on the road :-) I ordered a tool before even looking at the tires and after realizing that I will not be touching tires I took the risk of using simple screw driver and afterward cancelled my order (no space for junk). Went slow and it was less then few minutes to take the cover out. For putting it back I do have soft hammer in the basement but I used regular small hammer in my tool box and it did the job, was gentle and if need be I was ready to put some cloth in between but there was no need. Cover is stronger then I thought. Ron was right, it does not look pretty without cover.

Making the right contact was a challenge but at least I know that it is possible and that I have right chuck (hope I am using right terminology) but wish there are other options for outside tires to avoid taking the cover. This exercise in best case scenario will avoid waiting for road side assistance for hours. This forum and information here is making me do the things which I have not done before. I usually take the car to Costco or nearest gas station if it need air. Think of it, there are only few occasion where we need the air in car, hope this is true for truck as well.

Hope you are enjoying new lifestyle. Both of us were very engaged on this forum before getting our motorhome and as Larry mention this forum bring the feeling of normal life and routine during long road trip and it is becoming a habit to check the forum on daily basis and search function bring a treasure of knowledge.

Regards,

Muhammad,
I also have the Viair 400p-RV.  The long angled tire chuck with the red handle is the right thing to air up the tires, but I can't get it to fit at the right angle to make a solid connection without removing the tire covers on the back.  The holes on the cover are smaller than those on the wheel. Front works without removing the covers.

A while back someone on this forum suggested using a brake adjusting tool for prying the covers off.  Something like this https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769041?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Brakes&campaign_id=8659198719&adgroup_id=106304766654&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCOEa7s45fDwpQl9sPstmyy6Tn1py0COD7wPWpmxWCVz50qWHWN7ADRoCcTAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&   I bought one and it is just the right size.  I use a rubber mallet to put the covers back on.

Reply #11
I just now removed the 4 wheel simulators from my 2021 MB in preparation of going to a tire shop tomorrow.  This is the 1st time for me and after reading about using a pry tool to take off and a mallet to pound on, I don’t know if I’m off target or what.  Maybe because the wheel simulators haven’t been on very long but after removing the 2 caps, they nearly fell off.  Anyway, this is what I did…

Using the t-handle tool that LD conveniently left in with the spare tire, I found the 2 caps on each wheel that have little dash marks on them and unscrewed them counterclockwise.  Note, the 2 marked caps are on opposing lugs on the wheel hub.  Now just a gentle pull on the simulator and they came right off.  At first I thought that Ford had screwed up because some of the lugs that secured the wheel simulator on had brass extensions and some didn’t.  Then I realized that the brass extension was still screwed into the removed cap.  Duh… The brass extension takes a 5/16 allen wrench to remove it from lug or cap if it stayed in there.  I removed all the brass extensions so I wouldn’t lose them driving to the tire shop and then along with the caps, put them in a baggie for safe keeping.

I’ll post in more detail why I’m going to the tire shop tomorrow but as a teaser… I’m having Ford TPMS sensors removed and Borg valve extensions installed.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #12
"Using the t-handle tool that LD conveniently left in with the spare tire,..."

Since the t-handle tool is used ONLY on older models, like my 2004, and because of your explicit description of the removal process I have to say that you have the older type of simulators and not the ones being described in this thread. It's my belief that it is LD who supplies and installs the simulators, not Ford.

Personally I prefer the old style!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
John,
I am surprised .... before taking out the simulator I did check and double check for notch mark to make sure that all of my nuts are fake. Lazy Daze does not make changes  this quickly and not sure what happen.

Can you please share share  borg extenders part number you got and can it be done in costco or you have to look for commercial vehicle tire shop? Which TPMS you selected?

Thanks

I just now removed the 4 wheel simulators from my 2021 MB in preparation of going to a tire shop tomorrow.  This is the 1st time for me and after reading about using a pry tool to take off and a mallet to pound on, I don’t know if I’m off target or what.  Maybe because the wheel simulators haven’t been on very long but after removing the 2 caps, they nearly fell off.  Anyway, this is what I did…

Using the t-handle tool that LD conveniently left in with the spare tire, I found the 2 caps on each wheel that have little dash marks on them and unscrewed them counterclockwise.  Note, the 2 marked caps are on opposing lugs on the wheel hub.  Now just a gentle pull on the simulator and they came right off.  At first I thought that Ford had screwed up because some of the lugs that secured the wheel simulator on had brass extensions and some didn’t.  Then I realized that the brass extension was still screwed into the removed cap.  Duh… The brass extension takes a 5/16 allen wrench to remove it from lug or cap if it stayed in there.  I removed all the brass extensions so I wouldn’t lose them driving to the tire shop and then along with the caps, put them in a baggie for safe keeping.

I’ll post in more detail why I’m going to the tire shop tomorrow but as a teaser… I’m having Ford TPMS sensors removed and Borg valve extensions installed.

- John

Reply #14

- John

This is definitely not the kind of wheel covers on my rig.  I (and Muhammad) have the kind that you have to pry off.  No fake lugs or extensions involved.  I bet reverting to old style has to do with 2020-2021 supply chain issues. Or maybe LD decided that the older were better? Who knows.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #15
This is definitely not the kind of wheel covers on my rig.  I (and Muhammad) have the kind that you have to pry off.  No fake lugs or extensions involved.  I bet reverting to old style has to do with 2020-2021 supply chain issues. Or maybe LD decided that the older were better? Who knows.

Linda B,

That’s probably the reason for the difference I saw.  It wasn’t making any sense that you, Muhammad and I all have 2021 models but my wheel simulators attached differently.  Thank you for clearing it up.

- John

P.S.  Thank you Lazy Bones, I believe you are correct.

Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #16
John,
I am surprised .... before taking out the simulator I did check and double check for notch mark to make sure that all of my nuts are fake. Lazy Daze does not make changes  this quickly and not sure what happen.

Can you please share share  borg extenders part number you got and can it be done in costco or you have to look for commercial vehicle tire shop? Which TPMS you selected?

Thanks

Muhammad,

Please read Linda B’s post and my reply to the difference in our wheel simulators.  I’ll post an answer and more about TPMS and valve extensions when I get back from the tire shop.

- John

Reply #17
"It's my belief that it is LD who supplies and installs the simulators, not Ford."
---
I don't know what style wheel covers the factory is using now, the press ons or the dimpled nut cover types, but I'm pretty sure that LD gets all styles of the wheel covers from Kaper II. It might be a good idea to look at their website and check the specific type of wheel cover one has on whichever model year it might be before potentially damaging the covers by attempting to remove them incorrectly.

KII WHEEL SIMULATORS

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18

John,
I think you started a new thread and I thank you for documenting your experience. I will follow the thread. At this point inflating the tires or measuring the tire pressure is not an issue. If I can avoid taking the cover and have better connection with four outside tires I will be happy.

I am getting Amazon.com: Viair 00041 Tire Inflation Gun : Automotive .. and unknown is if this chuck will securely hold on the extenders (both Ron and Ken did mention technical term which I forgot). Guess I will find out in few days. If need be I will not mind at all making the cover hole little bigger to have access to the extenders.

Regards,

Muhammad,

Please read Linda B’s post and my reply to the difference in our wheel simulators.  I’ll post an answer and more about TPMS and valve extensions when I get back from the tire shop.

- John