Skip to main content
Topic: Installed twin mattress and box spring in MB (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic
Installed twin mattress and box spring in MB

I’ve had off and on back problems for as long as I can remember and the LD sofa cushion just wasn’t cutting it any longer.  When I placed my order for the MB, I added the 2 barrel chairs option with the idea of installing a twin box spring and mattress where the remaining single couch would be.  It’s only me and the dog and sleeping up in the overhead was never an option.  So the time had come to get busy and convert the passenger side couch into a full time bed.

It was actually pretty easy task to accomplish.  All the cushions and the wooden back support were removed and are temporarily stored in the overhead.  As usual, the Mothership used a total of 10 screws and 5 hinges to keep the back support in place… ya got to love um.  The bed frame only had to be pulled out about 2-3 inches to account for the twin mattress width and the couch length was already sufficient, so  I didn’t lose much floor space.

When LD built the couch frame, they used 1/2 inch overlapping plywood.  The overlapping plywood allows the couch frame to be pulled out in order to make the bed bigger.  In my case, this left an uneven base for the box spring I bought.  I ended up going to a lumberyard nearby and found some scrap 1/2 inch plywood that they cut for me and then refused to take any money.  Small towns are great.  The box spring I chose is only 4 inches high and made of metal with wood slats and a nice zippered cover.  This was a really great find.  Very solid, easy to put together and only 4 inches high.  So after screwing down the scrap plywood pieces, I put together the box spring, drilled 8 holes in the bottom of it and screwed it to the now even plywood base.  I allowed for 1.5 inch spacing on the sides and back for tucking in the bedding.  Next was unrolling the compressed mattress.  The mattress I bought is made of natural latex and is only 8 inches high.  The mattress immediately came up to shape and things were really looking good.  I’ve had other rolled mattresses before that took a day to fill out but not this one.  I’ll defer to their marketing spiel that explains it pretty well: Our machine compression roll pack technology (NOT vacuum packed as many inferior sofa beds are) enables our replacement sofa mattress to decompress rapidly after the package is opened.

I did splurge on some nice sheets as well as a lightweight comforter and some elastic bed sheet holders to keep the fitted sheet tight.  The height of the bed above the LD frame is 12 inches which is still 10 inches below the bottom of the window.  Easy to get in and out of and I really enjoyed looking out the window this morning without having to lift my head off the pillow.  I did leave the 3 inch wood piece that is attached to the wall as it allows me a place to put my glasses and phone when I’m in bed.  I know I spent a lot of money on the mattress but if last night was any indication, I should be sleeping very comfortably for many years to come.  It did come with a 20 year warranty and a 100 day no questions asked return policy.

Oh, almost forgot… Bandit likes the new bed too 🐶

Here are some links and a few pics…

ZINUS Metal Box Spring with Wood Slats /4 Inch Mattress Foundation
RV Mattress: Eco Green 8" Natural Latex
Homelike Moment Twin Lightweight Comforter Gray
MEGA COLLATION BEDDING'S , 4 PCs Sheet Set Fits Mattress Fits 7-9 Inches Fully Elastic Deep Pocket 600 Thread Count
Raytour Bed Sheet Holder Straps

- John

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Re: Installed twin mattress and box spring in MB
Reply #1
Looks excellent!  Can we see pics of what it looks like under the mattress?  I am a visual - so while the written description is great..its hard for me to picture :)

Well done!
In Boldness & Gratitude,
Amy, Sebastian & Merkat ,,,^..^,,,
Future Laze Daze owners:  27?, 31IB or 31TB

Reply #2
Looks excellent!  Can we see pics of what it looks like under the mattress?  I am a visual - so while the written description is great..its hard for me to picture :)

Well done!

Thank you 😊  Not too much to see under there.  The mattress has a fitted sheet over it and box spring has a cream colored cover over it.  The box spring is a metal frame with wood slats spaced on top.  You can see it in the 1st posting.  The bottom piece is the original couch base with the cushions removed.

- John

Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #3
Amy, here is what the factory bed base looks like with the “slider” removed.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Thanks Greg for showing Amy your picture of the dismantled couch.  There was no way I was going to take a picture like that because the new box spring is screwed down to the couch base 😉

- John

Reply #5
Thanks John, Greg and Victoria for the underside images.  My design build brain always loves to see the how to and how done visuals :)

I also love that RV Mattress sells an eco mattress.  I am most certain we will be having to get a custom mattress bc we have sensitive bodies too.

Awhile back we were looking at box springs and I had seen the Zinus product.  Pretty cool to see it in use. 

I looked up the company.  They sell bed, living room and outdoor products.  They have a neat backstory and awesome business practices.  Also discovered you can cut out the middle person and buy from them direct.  :)  Shop Mattresses, Bed Frames & Sofas | Zinus

"In 1979 our founder, Youn Jae Lee, started his business in the great outdoors, making tents in South Korea. Eventually, he moved Zinus into the home and has provided mattresses and furniture for more than 25 million happy customers in over 15 countries around the world. We’re committed to helping everyone bring happiness home. That’s why Zinus products are easy to afford, assemble, and enjoy. We design tiny reminders that life is good."

We produce our own foam in our state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities around the world.

We fill our mattresses with peace of mind by adding natural infusions like green tea, olive oil, and charcoal, and utilize sustainable materials like bamboo and Tencel"

All of our products ship for free, most of them cleverly packed into just one convenient box.

Everything we make is designed with the easiest possible assembly so you can spend more time doing whatever makes you happy.

/end of Zinus tangent ;)

Back to your regularly scheduled LD chat :D

In Boldness & Gratitude,
Amy, Sebastian & Merkat ,,,^..^,,,
Future Laze Daze owners:  27?, 31IB or 31TB