Skip to main content
Topic: 2000 26.5 Mid-Bath (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic
2000 26.5 Mid-Bath
Good day all!

I just purchased a 2000 Lazy Daze Mid-Bath. I looked for a long time for the perfect used RV under $20k. Everything works and runs great...except the generator. I bought it knowing it doesn't work. The RV does have a similar panel and charger. I mostly camp at sites, so I'm plugged in most of the time. However, I want the back ac unit running while driving. What are my options?

Can I upgrade the generator to the quite one? Should I take it to a generator repair person. Can I set up therv to be able to run the back ac using house batteries?

Thanks! I'm picking her up Friday! I excited to get in the road!

Re: 2000 26.5 Mid-Bath
Reply #1

Welcome to the cult.
I would find an Onan repair station and have the generator checked out. Switching to a newer generator would be very expensive, if even possible.
Your LD's Onan Emerald generator is a durable unit and worth keeping.

Running the rooftop A/C on the coach batteries is not practical, you will need either shore power or a running generator.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Onan, I’m told by an Onan repair person, is coming out with a new 4000 watt inverter generator this summer. It should be quieter, more reliable (no slip rings or carburetor) and new.

Fix the one you have till then.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #3
Onan, I’m told by an Onan repair person, is coming out with a new 4000 watt inverter generator this summer. It should be quieter, more reliable (no slip rings or carburetor) and new.

[/quot

Thanks! That's actually really helpful. I don't mind upgrading at some point, but I think I'll wait until a new one comes out. I'm sure it would help with value. That's why I just don't want to remove it. I have a bunch off-hrid equipment I plan on installing, so I probably won't really use the generator. I'd rather keep the old, non working one sitting there then pay to have it removed for more storage space.

Reply #4
Thanks! That's actually really helpful. I don't mind upgrading at some point, but I think I'll wait until a new one comes out. I'm sure it would help with value. That's why I just don't want to remove it. I have a bunch off-hrid equipment I plan on installing, so I probably won't really use the generator. I'd rather keep the old, non working one sitting there then pay to have it removed for more storage space.

Changing to a new generator will require fabricating a new mounting frame, assuming the new generator's footprint is similar.
I would expect installing one would cost in excess of $5000. You can buy a lot of solar panels and lithium batteries for that type of money.

I expect that the existing generator can be fixed, as I said before, the Emerald is a strong, durable generator.
In fleet usage, they run 1500-2000 hours before major work is needed.
If you want to get rid of the weight of the generator, it can be removed easily, it is designed to be removed for maintenance. A rolling floor jack is needed for removal. The empty area can then be turned into storage.

I know that many, self-included, hate the noise of a generator. Not much can be done to reduce the noise but the run time can be minimized with a large solar array and with extremely fast charging lithium batteries if a higher-output converter is installed.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Like Larry, I don't like the noise of running a generator. My older Emerald like you have, is even noisier than Larry's MicroQuiet.  After 22 years I've only accumulated 130 hours or so. Most all of it for maintenance, and air conditioning.
      With my 400+ amp hours of battery and 450 Watts of solar I expect even less usage of the generator. But it is already there, and still useful for rest stops when the engine A/C isn't running. Just two of us sitting in front, the 110VAC A/C is in the back and minimally useful while driving. Even in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona where it can easily be over 110 degrees outside.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
All the comments you mentioned about using the generator are just how I see it.  The noise is deafening for me. I use it for quick food  heat ups when traveling but I am working on alternative power supply for on the road evening stops etc.
  My one solar panel has been sufficient for me.
  I appreciate everyone's ideas.
mar 🌴❤️🌺
Current 1 and only: 2003 LD Mid Bath 26.5
2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie TT
2011 Dutchman Colorado 32' TT
2011 iCamp 14' TT
1985 Coachman Catalina 32' RV