Skip to main content
Topic: Roadmaster Nighthawk Towbar Recall (Read 86 times) previous topic - next topic
Roadmaster Nighthawk Towbar Recall
Last fall I switched to the Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar (still using the ReadyBrake system with it).

Today, I received a recall email:

Our records indicate that you are the registered owner of a Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar, with a serial number ranging between 9513 and 10200.  We are recalling these serial numbers because of a potential safety defect.

...the T-bolt is highlighted.  This assembly is basically a large bolt and nut which may loosen over time.  If the nut completely unthreads then the main portion of the tow bar will separate, and the towed car will no longer be safely connected to the RV.

WHAT ROADMASTER WILL DO

Even though most tow bars in this range are fine and will never experience separation, Roadmaster will still replace your tow bar at no charge out of an abundance of caution.  Current production has an integrated roll pin as a secondary safety measure to prevent loosening of the nut.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Unfold your tow bar from your RV and locate the T-bolt and stinger.  Now grasp the two outer arms of the tow bar and push inward towards the RV’s receiver and then pull out away from the receiver.  As you repeat this motion, inspect the area where the T-bolt inserts into the stinger as shown below.

I did not have the issue with my towbar but requested the replacement anyway. They will ship it to me this week and provide a UPS label so that I can return the old one.

I made my request via email and they called me to confirm everything. Great customer service.

If you have a Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar in the serial number range mentioned above, you may want ask about a replacement.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Re: Roadmaster Nighthawk Towbar Recall
Reply #1
Deb,

Thanks for the heads up. I got my Nighthawk this past spring but my serial number is prior to the recall. I went to the  Roadmaster site and couldn't find the recall notice. Hmmm...

Thanks again,
Ron Y
2009 31' IB "BoonDoggle"
2014 Honda CRV Towed

Re: Roadmaster Nighthawk Towbar Recall
Reply #2
I received my notice via email. Maybe it's not on the website yet.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty