Skip to main content
Topic: Researching Rebuilt Titles (Read 100 times) previous topic - next topic
Researching Rebuilt Titles
Greetings! 
I have a question about rebuilt titles. 

If an owner doesn't know the history of a rebuilt bc it happened before they bought the RV, you can find out the history by entering the VIN number in a history search site, yes?  I am guessing that may, or may not, produce detailed results.

Is there a best site to research said history for RVs?  I thought maybe I could ask the owner to look it up or they could pass the VIN number along so a buyer can look it up to be fully informed before they invest in the inspection and flying across the country to buy. 

Know what I mean, jelly bean? :D

Thank you for any input! 
In Boldness & Gratitude,
Amy, Sebastian & Merkat ,,,^..^,,,
Future Laze Daze owners:  27?, 31IB or 31TB

Re: Researching Rebuilt Titles
Reply #1
I don't have a complete answer to your question, but I would start with a CarFax if I was serious about the search.  Also google the VIN number.  You might be able to find damage picture _if_ the vehicle went to public auction.  There may be an insurance industry database that I'm not familiar with.

You can find some history.  It's probably not complete, and in many cases it can be misleading.  I recently bought a car with a rebuilt title and not 1 of the ~5 I looked at was represented accurately. 

Read this thread, paying close attention to reply 14 where the original owner discloses the actual extent of the damage to this particular coach:
2007 26MB for sale on eBay

My rule of thumb for salvage vehicles is not to buy if you ever plan on a traditional sale, or if you can't afford to just lose most of the money. 

Rich
2003 MB

Re: Researching Rebuilt Titles
Reply #2
Hi Amy;  I think most of 'Totaling' a vehicle is a state function, and is mostly aimed at regular cars. I think most legislation was to prevent cars that were poorly rebuilt from showing back up on the road with disastrous results!
   Now a story. A friend had a VW Beetle that he drove for years, (Calif) and had a front wheel come apart. I think it was in the 300k miles range. He sold it to another friend of mine that wanted to turn it into a 'dune' buggy. He took the top off (sawed) and found out that it was two vehicles that had been welded together in the middle. Many of us had driven it, me included, and never suspected the splice.  So that was a good repair. It was a good dune buggy also.
   Here is one that showed up on LDOF:  2003 MB - Salvage Title - California
   In California, a 'salvaged' vehicle can be restored to active status. Mostly collector cars, Lamborghinis, rare, expensive, that type.  Usually insurance companies don't want to fool around with multiple vendor type of repairs. Most class 'C' of advanced age, high mileage, not LD, and in run down condition wouldn't be worthy of repair.  As many of us know, you start repairing one item, and you find more 'need to be repaired' items as you go. As you dig deeper you find even more items that need repair.  So even 'theft recovery' cars (RV's) with minor damage are left to the open auction, especially if the owner has already been recompensed for the loss. 
    It depends on the damage the LD suffered and how well it was repaired.  Most of all, your tolerance of imperfections and abilities to evaluate or do the repairs yourself.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB