Skip to main content
Topic: Replace cooling unit in 2004MB Dometic Refrigerator (Read 251 times) previous topic - next topic
Replace cooling unit in 2004MB Dometic Refrigerator
The cooling unit in the Dometic 2652 Refrigerator suddenly failed today. I confirmed both propane burner and electric heater works fine but the cooling unit no longer performs the absorption refrigeration cycle. We would like to replace the cooling unit with a 12v DC or 110v AC compressor based unit. Does any one have had any experience with those replacement unit? I found a 2018 posting from John and Cyndi but no follow up so far. Any insight or first hand experience is very much appreciated. Thanks.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Re: Replace cooling unit in 2004MB Dometic Refrigerator
Reply #1
I was really tempted to put in a 12v compressor unit but in the end I determined we just did not have enough battery capacity to get us through the dry camping we occasionally do. Here’s what I was looking at:

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product/dometic-2652-2653-hvac-12v-dc-replacement-unit-new/

Here’s what we ended up with and am very happy with it. It’s new and not remanufactured.

https://www.rvcoolingunit.com/DM2652-Brand-New-Dometic-Cooling-Unit-P2172678.aspx

Steve

Steve
2003TK

Reply #2
I was really tempted to put in a 12v compressor unit but in the end I determined we just did not have enough battery capacity to get us through the dry camping we occasionally do. Here’s what I was looking at:

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product/dometic-2652-2653-hvac-12v-dc-replacement-unit-new/

Here’s what we ended up with and am very happy with it. It’s new and not remanufactured.

https://www.rvcoolingunit.com/DM2652-Brand-New-Dometic-Cooling-Unit-P2172678.aspx

Steve

Thank you very much Steve, did you replaced the cooling unit yourself or had some did it for you? How big a job to remove the fridge from its current installation position?
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #3
I have a friend with a new other brand motorhome with a 12v compressor frig. He has duel battery's and it'll run them down over night, solar panel won't catch up during the day. He claims it's the worst mistake he has made in a while.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #4
I replaced it myself but I get some demented enjoyment working on projects like this. I’ve got a TK so it was kind of a pain to slide the fridge into the isle. The ac ceiling shroud had to be removed as well as the thermostat and power switch to get the fridge to clear. I also did the swap inside with the fridge laying down. I’ve read that you can exit the fridge through a lounge window but I didn’t see that happening without removing the valence and I wasn’t interested in doing that.

Steve
Steve
2003TK

Reply #5
"I’ve read that you can exit the fridge through a lounge window..."

I watched while Vince and one helper brought a new fridge in through my dinette window (30'IB w/optional dinette) with the removal of ONLY the window screen. Old unit went out the same way. The fridge units measure 24" square!   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
I was really tempted to put in a 12v compressor unit but in the end I determined we just did not have enough battery capacity to get us through the dry camping we occasionally do.

Having enough solar and battery power for one's normal electrical consumption, plus the added power needed for an electric refrigerator is going to cost a bunch unless you already have seriously upgraded the 12-volt electrical system.
From personal usage of a compressor ice chest for the last 18 months, I would guess a minimum of 600+ watts of solar and increased battery capacity is needed.
In the short days of winter camping, we sometimes barely break even with 540-watts of solar. A full-size RV refrigerator is going to use even more power. Expect to need some generator time during periods of prolonged rain or heavy clouds.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thank you all for these valuable help. I have been preparing for this "doomsday scenario" of the Dometic propane fridge. We have 600W solar panels and 440AH of LiFePO4 battery so the reserve power is not a problem. What I am concerning is the rumored excessive use of glue in addition to screws to hold the fridge in its place. I heard it is a nightmare to remove the fridge from its current installed position even after all of the screws are removed. One RV tech in the Miami area said he does not work on LazyDaze fridge replacement because he had a bad experience before removing it. But that RV tech was not very reliable in the past on other matters.  I would like to confirm this from someone who had done it or watch someone did it first hand. Much appreciation for any insight on this matter.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #8
font=Comic Sans MS][/fon

We replaced our refrigerator about 2 years ago.  Work was done at the Mother Ship.  Took about 4 hours from start to finish.  $2,000 and change.

Parts are in short supply, and we decided that a new frig at this point was the best option for us.

A refrigerator is an important item for use in RVing - so we just bit the bullet.  And the new Dometic is frost free.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
t]
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #9
Thank you Tony
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #10
CLI288, I’m a little acquainted with LD’s use of staples and glue. I didn’t encounter much of that when I removed the fridge in our 2003 TK. No glue was used where the fridge trim meets up against the coach cabinetry. There was just a little glue used at the back of the fridge where it’s anchored by a couple screws. I cut through that with a box knife pretty easily. The drain tube was glued pretty well as it goes through the floor the fridge sits on. I simply cut it a few inches above the floor and then spliced it back together using a brass fitting once the repair was made.
Steve
2003TK

Reply #11
Our 2003 LD's refrigerator died last winter while at the December LD Caravan Club GTG. It didn't leak, instead, it plugged up internally.
With a lot of banging on the tubing, it revived itself twice before finally giving up the ghost. We were glad to have the compressor ice chest as a backup

A new replacement cooling unit was ordered and arrived a few days after returning home.
Steve helped to remove the refrigerator, helping to lay it down on sawhorses inside the interior. Replacing the cooling unit inside the rig was tight but it eliminated taking the refrigerator out through a window. Having a second set of hands made this a much easier project, thanks, Steve.
FYI, I would have bought a new refrigerator but none were available, they were back-ordered with no definite delivery date. We had a trip coming up soon and didn't want to miss it.
A replacement cooling unit was the second-best choice.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
Thank you Steve and Larry both for these valuable and detailed explanations. I really appreciate. Your advice help me to increase confidence to replace the cooling unit. I will do everything to avoid replacing the fridge through the dining room window (Removing and re-attaching the valence panels is a big job but no value added). I plan to order a 12v DC compressor unit to replace the propane electric unit. We have changed to a snow bird live style as wife's health conditions no longer support touring and boondocking. We stay in the campground majority of time and only need to worry about power usage during travel but the 440AH battery pack is sufficient for the overnight use. We just bought a 12v compressor type ice chest to use as a freezer supplement to the fridge.

Dom 2662 Light Power / 12V DC HVAC Install - Jc Refrigeration/ DutchAire...

I also found Howard's posting on the JC Refrigeration's web forum page. He also detailed his DYI work to replace the cooling unit with the 12v compressor unit. These experiences guide me to do the work. Thanks again to everyone.

2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #13
BTW, the failure of our 2004 MB fridge is also internal blockage or plug. There is no leak, yellow stain, or ammonia smell at all. I found the location of the plug is somewhere in the water separation section of the coolant pipe near the top of the unit. Before the plug, IR thermometer shows 165F surface temperature of the coolant pipe but after the plug, the temperature drops to about 121F, a huge difference. I tried to use a hammer to knock and bang the pipe but not effective. The plug stubbornly stays there the the remaining sections of the pipes are all cold. There are folks in different forums suggested to remove the fridge and put it upside down to relief the blockage, I think I rather replace the damn thing.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #14
Looks like a good solution for your particular circumstances. I look forward to a follow up post!

Steve
Steve
2003TK