Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Oops! (Read 387 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Oops!
After topping off the gas yesterday and adding Stabil, I ran the generator as suggested to get the fresh gas into the generator carb. I keep a couple of Fresh Cab packets inside the generator area and always take them out before starting the genny but got in a rush and forgot to take them out. One of the packets was sucked up by the plastic? cooling fan and shredded. Some of the Fresh Cab ingredients blew out but others remain inside the generator area so I will vacuum them out today. I did check and replace the carb air filter but didn’t see any of the packet contents on the old one. Did I perhaps do any harm to the genny? Other than vacuuming out the area, is there anything else I should do?

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Generator Oops!
Reply #1
I once had mice shred paper towels and start to build a nest on top of the generator compartment.  When I started the generator, little pieces of white paper went everywhere.

I used an electric leaf blower to blow a lot of the debris out from around the generator.  It worked ok. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
After topping off the gas yesterday and adding Stabil, I ran the generator as suggested to get the fresh gas into the generator carb. I keep a couple of Fresh Cab packets inside the generator area and always take them out before starting the genny but got in a rush and forgot to take them out. One of the packets was sucked up by the plastic? cooling fan and shredded. Some of the Fresh Cab ingredients blew out but others remain inside the generator area so I will vacuum them out today. I did check and replace the carb air filter but didn’t see any of the packet contents on the old one. Did I perhaps do any harm to the genny? Other than vacuuming out the area, is there anything else I should do?

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

Are you sure it was the fan that sucked up the fresh cab and blew it everywhere? I put fresh cab packets in the generator area every winter and for some reason the mice love to shred the packets and build a nest on top of the generator. The packet contents usually end up in the bottom pan. So much for fresh cab repelling mice... Still I keep putting it in there along with Irish Spring. I tried mothballs in pantyhose per Steve K's direction and that didn't work either. The mice loved to build nests with the pantyhose too.  I don't use the mothballs anymore, too smelly.

I periodically check the top of the generator and when I see a nest, I go the old fashioned route and use mouse traps baited with peanut butter, there's an area with just enough room in the right front corner of the pan for one trap. This year I caught two so far. After i quit catching the mice I take the vacuum hose off the top part of the generator and stick a 1" piece of poly pipe attached to the lid of a spray paint can that hold to the end of a shop vac hose. I can reach the back of the generator and suck that nest right outta there!

I never catch mice inside my rig or any of the other compartments. They all get fresh cab and Irish Spring too.

Good luck with the mice.
Ron Y
2009 31' IB "BoonDoggle"
2014 Honda CRV Towed

Reply #3
Thanks, Ron. Yes, it was definitely the fan as I had run the generator the day before and there was no evidence of mice activity (I always inspect for nests every time I run it).  I remembered to remove the Fresh Cab that time but not this last time.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4

By the way, I just ordered and received this product to hopefully help with keeping mice out of the RV:

Amazon.com : Grandpa Gus's Extra-Strength Mouse Repellent, Cinnamon/Peppermin...

Has anyone here used it?

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
I do use peppermint oil on cotton balls, a little bit of work, cheaper than Gus. I don't know how long Gus lasts but I replace the oil about once a month, so far so good, no mice..
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #6
Since installing lithium batteries and inverter, regular use of the generator has dropped off dramatically. Brief runs of the nuker or hair dryer no longer require it, so it was a relief to run it yesterday in the driveway with the air running - thanks to a short heat wave - and find it still purrs like a charm...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
I do use peppermint oil on cotton balls, a little bit of work, cheaper than Gus. I don't know how long Gus lasts but I replace the oil about once a month, so far so good, no mice..
Thanks Jerry, I'm going to have to give that a try in the generator compartment. I don't seem to have them anywhere else. That would be great if this works for the little vermin!! Hopefully they don't grab those cotton balls to make their nests... :>)

Ron
2009 31' IB "BoonDoggle"
2014 Honda CRV Towed

Reply #8
Thanks Jerry, I'm going to have to give that a try in the generator compartment. I don't seem to have them anywhere else.
Ron
Pull the doghouse and check the 'intake well'. This is another popular spot. If there, and you find chewed insulation, check the wiring harness for integrity.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Thanks Jerry, I'm going to have to give that a try in the generator compartment. I don't seem to have them anywhere else. That would be great if this works for the little vermin!! Hopefully they don't grab those cotton balls to make their nests... :>)
Ron
This could be a problem as after the peppermint oil evaporates the cotton balls might be an 'attractant'. As I said I replace the peppermint oil about once a month, that said there is still a slight smell of the oil...
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #10
"This could be a problem as after the peppermint oil evaporates the cotton balls might be an 'attractant'."

Yes. The difficulty is that anything absorbent enough to hold the aromatic oil--meaning anything fibrous--is good nesting material to a rodent. Steel wool might be an exception... but when it gets damp, and sooner or later it will, steel wool can spontaneously combust, so that seems like a bad idea.

How about cotton balls inside a tea ball? Stainless steel mesh certainly wouldn't be attractive as a nesting material.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"