Skip to main content
Topic: Lithium install (Read 232 times) previous topic - next topic
Lithium install
Asked to post details and pics of my conversion project to lithium house batteries, so hopefully this makes sense. Stage 1 was swapping out the golf cart batteries for a pair of Battleborn 100AHGC2. These are drop-in to the slide-out tray in our '04, and required no mods to my upgraded solar charge controller or converter, and work fine with the diode isolator connecting the alternator. I also installed a 2200W inverter and replaced the Dometic microwave with an inverter-microwave. I installed a manual transfer switch to allow limited use of appliances off-grid. The first pic shows this stage of the battery box, which has a successful trip under the belt - all systems go.

Stage 2 is to insulate the battery box and vent it to the interior to prevent possible battery shutdown in cold weather. It also better insulates the coach interior. To get extra room, I got rid of the battery tray and support structure, shown through the next 4 pics. Our rig also has the 'hidden breaker' connecting the converter, and I replaced that with one now accessible on the back wall of the battery box, shown in a pic. The next four pics show the framework installed to allow an R5 insulation block to be inserted and gasketed, and insulation was then added to the door of the box. Finally a pair of 2.5" vents from the battery box to the interior were added, one high and one low, to allow interior air to circulate the batteries.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Lithium install
Reply #1
Asked to post details and pics of my conversion project to lithium house batteries, so hopefully, this makes sense.

Nice, the insulation, seals, and added vents should keep the batteries at or nearly at the same temperature as the interior.
If the batteries now get too hot or cold, it may be time to move to a better climate.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze