Skip to main content
Topic: GPS Tracking Anti-Theft Device (Read 314 times) previous topic - next topic
GPS Tracking Anti-Theft Device
Anyone using such a device in their vehicles? Pluses; minuses? Recommendations?

Chris 
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: GPS Tracking Anti-Theft Device
Reply #2
AirTags have a lot of uses, but they have pluses and minuses for RV theft tracking. On the plus side, they're inexpensive ($30-$40), and they require no monthly subscription.

But bear in mind that an AirTag has no GPS of its own. It relies on nearby Apple devices to report its whereabouts. (Yes, there is an AirTag tracker app for Android, but it's likely that very few Android users have downloaded it, or are running it constantly.)

First drawback: "When moved, any AirTag separated for a period of time from the person who registered it will make a sound to alert those nearby." So if your RV is stolen, after a while the hidden AirTag will start to beep, potentially alerting the thieves. Now, it isn't very loud, and maybe you could wrap it in foam or otherwise muffle it. But in this situation, you don't want a tracking device to call attention to itself. (If there's a way to disable this behavior, somebody please correct me.)

Second drawback: as mentioned, an AirTag can only report back to you if it happens to be near an iPhone or a GPS-equipped iPad. Granted, there are hundreds of millions of these devices in use. If you leave your AirTagged briefcase in a taxi in a city, the chances of somebody with an iPhone happening by are pretty good. But if a thief with an Android phone steals your AirTag-equipped RV and drives off into the boonies, you might not hear from it for a long time, if ever.

For tracking a stolen RV, a dedicated GPS tracker is probably a more reliable solution. These devices, unlike AirTags, contain their own built-in GPS receivers and cellular radios, so they can constantly track their location and report it via any nearby cell tower. The drawback: since cellular internet is being used, a cellular data account is required. And since the data usually goes through a website that lets you access the device's location, many of these devices require a monthly subscription fee.

I haven't researched GPS trackers, but there are many brands on the market. I suggest a web search for "gps tracking devices". If you buy one of these, let us know how it works out.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
How big is the problem of motorhome theft? Are some types at greater risk of being stolen? Are they stolen while traveling or while stored? Locally, our area of 300,000 (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco in Washington state) reports very few ( I can't remember any reports) compared to cars, but I have no idea of the number of RVs in the area. Perhaps it is so rare, it's not worth doing anything beyond the usual: lock it up when you leave, and don't leave the keys in the ignition.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
I think the bigger threat is the catalytic converter.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
you don't want a tracking device to call attention to itself. (If there's a way to disable this behavior, somebody please correct me.)

A web search for "silent AirTag" will tell you where to buy them or how to make them.  (This is definitely not an endorsement.)

Reply #6
That's very interesting, Howard--I had no idea there was a market for "silenced" AirTags. It's another reminder that like so many other technologies, this is a two-edged sword. A silent AirTag could be useful for tracking a stolen vehicle, but could also be used to stalk someone.
Andy Baird

Reply #7

Hi Andy;  I reported about this tracker earlier.  Still seems to be a good choice. It does need cellular connection and a contract.   Amazon.com: Optimus GB100M 4G LTE - Easy Install on Car's Battery GPS...    RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
Ron, thanks for posting that link. After reading the product description, I was impressed. It has a good set of features, including geofencing (alerts when leaving a defined area, such as your property or a storage yard) and an internal battery so that even if disconnected it will keep working for several hours. It sounds as if their iOS and Android apps are well written, and you can also track on their website using a laptop or desktop computer. And more than that... their product description is written in clear, understandable English, unlike many low-cost Asian products (E.g., "For safely operation please to connect afterward cords for powering").

According to the product description, the $12.95 per month service fee includes a data connection via AT&T, so there are no extra costs or cellular plans. "Cancel Anytime - No Contract - No Hidden Fees," they say. This device could be connected inconspicuously to either a motorhome's engine battery or a trailer's house battery. (See the review by Amazon customer Nick for good mounting suggestions.)

All in all, this sounds like a good product. Has anybody here tried this one?
Andy Baird

Reply #9
Man Tracks Down Stolen Truck Using Apple Air Tag

http://youtu.be/mLAlxfWjOFg

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #10
First drawback: "When moved, any AirTag separated for a period of time from the person who registered it will make a sound to alert those nearby." So if your RV is stolen, after a while the hidden AirTag will start to beep, potentially alerting the thieves. Now, it isn't very loud, and maybe you could wrap it in foam or otherwise muffle it. But in this situation, you don't want a tracking device to call attention to itself. (If there's a way to disable this behavior, somebody please correct me.)

Second drawback: as mentioned, an AirTag can only report back to you if it happens to be near an iPhone or a GPS-equipped iPad. Granted, there are hundreds of millions of these devices in use. If you leave your AirTagged briefcase in a taxi in a city, the chances of somebody with an iPhone happening by are pretty good. But if a thief with an Android phone steals your AirTag-equipped RV and drives off into the boonies, you might not hear from it for a long time, if ever.

I have six AirTags at this point, for keys, wallet, and luggage.   The ability to find lost items is a game changer for people like me always losing keys or other stuff.

The noise they make isn’t very loud, just placing one inside an external storage bay would keep a thief from hearing it chirp.

As to not being effective in the boonies, true, but a GPS tracker that uses a cellular signal has the same issue if the thief drives to where there isn’t a signal.
Dave

2017 TK